backpacking holster solution?

Guest marican

Guest marican

Anybody do any backwoods backpacking while carrying? My pack covers most of my hips and another strap across my chest, so I don't think a conventional hip holster would work. Also a thigh holster will probably chafe like crazy so i think thats also out. I'm more concerned with accessibility than concealment given the odds of running across someone are pretty slim.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a smaller pistol, pocket holster and keep the bigger gun in the pack. Since I also carry a bladed weapon that is easily accessed and a "stick", I am optimisitc I would be OK to get to safey/cover and get my other weapon out.

But my concern is not so much bears or other critters of the four legged version - I am more concerned with our fellow man (was reading about the AT recently and some of the attacks on and deaths of hikers). People just ain't right sometime...

I saw OH SHOOT's idea and that looks like a great idea for carrying on a pack; I think I might look into that and could keep my "normal" pistol accessible. And if I remember correctly, there was something in the recent Handguns Mag about a carry rig for a big caliber pistol.

Anybody do any backwoods backpacking while carrying? My pack covers most of my hips and another strap across my chest, so I don't think a conventional hip holster would work. Also a thigh holster will probably chafe like crazy so i think thats also out. I'm more concerned with accessibility than concealment given the odds of running across someone are pretty slim.

What about a crossdraw holster? Sometimes I can make crossdraw work when strongside is in the way. Depends on how your pack is made....

I use a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker holster.

Safepacker Concealed Carry Holster, Concealed Weapon Holster

It's a square pouch that fits on the hip belt on my backpacks and also on a regular belt. Looks like a camera case or something similar. I have talked with Park Rangers in a National Park with it on and they never said a word. Opens fairly quickly and completely protects my handgun.

I take my son on camps and hikes all the time. Does your backpack have the strap that goes across your chest to hold the two shoulder straps together? I keep my gun in a hip holster on that. Pretty easy to get to and out in the woods I'm not concerned with concealment. I'd normally keep it on the hip, but with a big backpack, every step is banging into my gun. So I know where you're coming from.