Gray Fox.

Got this gray fox this evening with about 30 minutes or so of day light left. We made a couple of stands today and this was the only thing we seen. We had been calling for 8-10 minutes when she came running in. She actually ran about 6 feet right in front of us (at this point I was wishing I had brought my shotgun) then dropped of into a creek bed and popped back out 40 yards away and stared at the decoy. It was long enough to make the shot. Had to swing the gun around and make a quick shot. She was shot a little forward in the neck area but it did the trick. Not sure what she weighed but guess 10-12 pounds. After we were done we showed it to the owner of the property and got to talking about guns and swapping hunting stories and he was glad we got it. He is trying to get his quail population back up.

DSCN0692.jpg

Edited by Hunting101
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88
From TWRA website:

Use or possession of electronic calls for fox, turkey, and waterfowl is prohibited. Pretty much sums it up to me.

Dang you are right. I skimmed right over that.

Good job, nice fox. Now if it was just legal to call in a fox with a electronic call.

I was calling for coyotes not fox's. I had the caller on mute when it came running in. It seen my decoy and that's what he went after. I think it's a fine line when using e-callers. 99% of the time I am hunting coyotes. If a fox comes in and it is in season and legal to shoot I am going to shoot it. This is another contradicting TN law that doesn't make sense. I have had this discussion with a game warden and I asked him If I killed a fox while I was coyote hunting and it was in season, how would you prove I was not just calling for fox's. He told me he couldn't and he agreed that the law was stupid. Besides when I call for foxes I use the Griz-n-Gray hand call, works better than any sound on an e-caller.

Edited by Hunting101
I was calling for coyotes not fox's. I had the caller on mute when it came running in. It seen my decoy and that's what he went after. I think it's a fine line when using e-callers. 99% of the time I am hunting coyotes. If a fox comes in and it is in season and legal to shoot I am going to shoot it. This is another contradicting TN law that doesn't make sense.

I agree 100% and have and i'm sure I will again. I think the possession of electronic call with a dead fox would be the only way anybody could ever say anything. I have been using mouth calls and am really liking not having to lug around and set up a e-caller. That;s one of the laws I would love to see changed but that is another thread.

I agree 100% and have and i'm sure I will again. I think the possession of electronic call with a dead fox would be the only way anybody could ever say anything. I have been using mouth calls and am really liking not having to lug around and set up a e-caller. That;s one of the laws I would love to see changed but that is another thread.

I also use hand calls. Setting up an e-caller is not that big of an issue with me. In my last post I edited it and added what I asked the game warden about it. Also the warden said they were more concerned if you had actual fox sounds on the unit like gray fox distress etc. which I do not.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest clutepc

that answered my question, I was curious if you skinned them.

I have one a family member shot in MI. it came out great. Hope to get one myself someday.

that answered my question, I was curious if you skinned them.

I have one a family member shot in MI. it came out great. Hope to get one myself someday.

When I tan it I am going to have to cut the head part off due to the damage from the bullet. It should still look nice though.