Internet hunters

I have just a few board that I visit. On a couple of the big sites I continue to see these guys that post all the time about....I would never do this...I would never do that. It makes me wounder how many would go back on their word if given a chance. I'm talking about the guys that claim they would never hunt over bait, hunt predators during the spring, hunt at night, etc. I remember not too long ago hearing the famous " I will never use a crossbow". Now everybody knows somebody that has one. I bet 50% or more would change the way they hunt if it were legal to do so.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say, each must make up their own minds about what they consider a worthwhile hunt given the parameter of the law. Different places already have laws that allow some of the things you listed there. Some consider it fair, others don't. I mean bear hunting on bait, cats on bait is done elsewhere. Some consider high fence to be unfar, but what if the fence is several thousand acres?

I am personally a fair chase guy. I am not really interested in taking certain animals in certain conditions. I would rather go home empty handed than being anything else. Not everyone is that way. Now if you are in the wild and create your own bait, in other words you kill and elk or a bou and then come back to the carcass the next day for a chance for wolf, then to me that is fair.

Bow hunters have a real issue with crossbow hunters, but personally I don't care what their issues are. Personally I liked bow hunting and consider it a great challenge. unfortunately I have a shoulder problem that won't allow me to bow hunt anymore. I haven't hunted yet with a crossbow, but i do plan to do so because I like the challenge of it. And yes it is still a challenge even with a crossbow. My friend and I will be going later this year. He used to bow hunt, but hasn't been able to since falling off a mountain cliff and breaking his neck. Fortunately he wasn't paralyzed, but he can't bow hunt w/o a crossbow anymore. They are legal and some bow hunters I know just hate that. Each has to decide what their limits are in hunting. As long as they abide by the law and consume or give their meat away, let your conscience be your guide.

I would hunt over bait if legal. I don't since it's illegal. I hunt with a compound bow, but I don't mind crossbows. I think I have the advantage over crossbows in most cases. I do know what you are talking about though.

Some of my favorites are the "internet expert hog hunters". I have killed a few hogs and I didn't follow all the internet rules, but I lived through it somehow. Just remember if you are going to hunt hogs on the internet, you have a have a .454, .480 or .500 hand cannon or a .458 double rifle with a .500 backup on your hip and 2 buddies with slug guns on either side of you.

Hunting off a 4 wheeler is legal on private property this year. I had a chance at a big doe, she stood there staring at me. I couldn't bring my self to shoot her while sitting on the ATV. So, as I got off my ATV to shoot, she ran. It was meant to be I suppose. I'm content with most things as they are. As far as hogs go, my crossbow suits me fine. Would like to hunt them with my muzzleloader though. I can't afford to hunt them with an artillery piece.

Guest adamoxtwo

I look at things differently. I hunt for meat more then sport. Does that mean I wouldn't mount a great Buck....of course not that's silly. However, I would hunt over feed to hunt a Doe and harvest the meat. Everything is situation dependent. I can respect WD40 position with the ATV....Just because it is legal doesn't make it right.

I use a crossbow because I had a complete shoulder reconstruction. I tried a Matthews but it didn't pan out. I had one shot the arrow took to long to get there and she jumped getting hit high and in the rear. She screamed for about 30 minutes in the woods and I sold it right after. I will not hunt with anything that will not kill an Animal. I bought a Crossbow and took three this year. One was a bad shot and he ran off (found him after 2 days). it's whatever you can live with. Still need to do everything else right with a crossbow. Still need them to come in close it's just easier for some to shoot...and even then it's not automatic.

Ethics is such a trick question... not on a personal level - most people find it pretty easy to apply their own code of ethics without much trouble. Problem is when you start comparing different people's ethical views, you realize "ethics" doesn't always mean the same thing to everybody.

That said, to address the "I would never..." type comments: I would never say I would never do _________________ . :D