Questions on .40 cal Glocks

Guest 65stang

Guest 65stang

I am looking to buy a .40 cal glock sometime in the near future. So here is the question. I am wondering how much more or recoil or twisting I should expect out of some of the smaller models such as the 23 or 27 versus the 22 I shot today. I didn't really think that the recoil was unmanageable on the 22 in any way, but my buddy, who owned the glock, keeps telling me that the smaller models won't shoot as well his.

I am looking for a glock that I can carry concealed when I travel to and from TN back to Southern IL, and the surrounding states. For those that have these models or have shot them I would really appreciate your feedback to this dilemma. I want something small, but not so small that I am not going to enjoy shooting it.

Currently, I am waiting on the shop up here to get in some gen 4 model 23's and I figured that I would be picking one of those up when they come in unless the consensus is that they are wildly different. What is everyone's take on $540, sound like a fair price?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY

I own all three models. well I did until last week when I sold my G-27 but they all shot about the same, except the G-27 did have a little more recoil compared to the other two. But if your worried about the recoil I would wait for the Gen 4 G-23 it has the new duel recoil spring and it cuts down on the recoil quite a bit. If you shot the Gen 3 G-23 and then shot the Gen 4 G-23 you would tell a big difference in the two..But the Gen 3 and 4 G-27 are basically the same thing just the Gen 4 has the changeable back straps.

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest 22-rimfire

I have a Glock M22 and M23. I much prefer the M23. Recoil is not a problem with either as far as I'm concerned. I have not shot a M27. Although I like Glocks, I would probably choose something else for a more concealable semi-auto than the M27. It is the thickness that bothers me. But it really depends on how you intend to conceal it more than anything.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I dont think the recoil on a 27 is enough to worry about. However carrying in Illinois would be lol. What state would you be obtaining your carry permit from?

Guest 65stang
I dont think the recoil on a 27 is enough to worry about. However carrying in Illinois would be lol. What state would you be obtaining your carry permit from?

PA has a permit that I can get that has reciprocity in MO, IN, TN, KY. Those are most of the states that I travel in. Does anyone know if On Target in the boro would let me rent some of their guns with a foid card and IL Drivers license?

I have a G22 Gen 4. I've shot a G27 Gen 3 as a range rental, with both the standard flat-bottom magazine as well as with the Pearce grip extension on the mag. I didn't shoot the two on the same day, but as best as I can remember they shot about the same. I didn't notice any particular problem with recoil in either the 27 or the 22.

I have a 27, 22 Gen 4 and 35 in .40. The 27 has a more noticeable recoil. I used to carry my 26 with no pinky extension and the 27 is a little uncomfortable shooting like this. I had a 23 years ago because it is a comfortable range weapon and a decent CCW size. If you want fun at the range go with the 23. Gen 4 does reduce recoil, but I'm not crazy about the backstrap thing. Feels cheap and out of place.

I vote you get a 23. I tried a 27 before I bought my 26 and I definitely preferred the 26. Not that a 27 was that bad, just an issue of a recoil impulse that is slower to recover from. Incedentally, I have a 22 and find .40 to be a pleasure to shoot in a full-size gun. I also have a 19(the 23's 9mm twin) that is gets carried the most, so although I haven't tried a 23, I suspect you can't go wrong with one.

Guest gw2and4

I've carried a Glock 23 since 1995 and no matter how much I try to like the 27, it just sits in the safe getting sad while I holster the 23 every day. I'll probably sell the 27 before the round count gets any higher and put that cash toward something I'll use more often...

Best recommendation is to find a 23 and 27 side by side to shoot at the same time, and figure out which you prefer. Shooting before buying may save you a significant amount of cash in the long run. YMMV.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest rebeldrummer

i have owned my G23 for 4 years now. never a problem. recoil is nothing really?? especially if you shoot often and learn how to handle. i carry it when im on duty (private security) and it hides will. i have both a blackhawk and a tagua holster. tag seems to hide a bit better?? in my opinion the G23 is the perfect balance in .40 cal? but, everyone is diff....try them out. shoot shoot shoot.

After shooting a G27 and XD40 several hundred rounds and several trips to the range I found that I shot equally with both. My wife prefers the XD and carrys it daily. The G27 gets frequent carry when I don't carry a 1911. The best choice will be made after handling and firing each of the guns you're considering.

Guest 5Legion

The G23 is the best of both worlds. I have a G17 and it's great for range or a duty gun, but really the g19/g23 frame is the best for concealed carry while still being a shootable gun you'll want to take to the range etc. I've owned a g26 and it was just too small for me personally, although I can understand those who carry that vs a J-frame snub. IMO the 26/27s are more of a niche cc gun.

Edited by 5Legion
The G23 is the best of both worlds. I have a G17 and it's great for range or a duty gun, but really the g19/g23 frame is the best for concealed carry while still being a shootable gun you'll want to take to the range etc. .

+1

G19 or G23 are both incredible values for the money.

Guest gw2and4
+1

G19 or G23 are both incredible values for the money.

Agreed. Was just speaking with an HK snob at CHMR earlier who had a USP in .45. Even he agreed the Glock couldn't be beat for what you get in the price range. There are better guns out there, but not for $500.

Guest Tnbusarider

I have onwed all 3 ! I like the 23 and 27 the best for ease of carry . Recoil is no real problem, I find the 23 & 27 about the same. The 22 has no more recoil than a 9mm. These are just my opinions, I don't have much of a recoil flinch. Hope that helps

Does anyone know if On Target in the boro would let me rent some of their guns with a foid card and IL Drivers license?

Yes, my friends from Illinois have shot there with me. They just need your DL you don’t need your FFL; that’s just an Illinois thing.

Guest 65stang
Yes, my friends from Illinois have shot there with me. They just need your DL you don’t need your FFL; that’s just an Illinois thing.

Awesome! I will have to go down sometime and try a couple of Glocks. I appreciate everyone's views and it is really helping me come to a better informed decision.