Egypt

Guest GT_Rat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't it make you feel good that our president is concerned over the internet being shut down. :lol:

Actually it does a little. There has been a lot of talk in this county over the past year or two on government regulation, FCC rules, etc. regarding the web.

^^^^

As a kid, I wanted to see the pyramids. Now days, they can keep them. I will here, they can stay there.

This is a big planet. No matter what, there is going to be fighting some place. We just can't be part of all of it. as was side, we can't be the white knight, it is to expensive and there is not enough of us.

I saw one in Las Vegas- close enough for me. All I lost was money!

I really hope your observation is right, but I fear it is excessively optimistic.

The muslim brotherhood is going to sit it out and let the government fall, be replaced and then

topple the new unsuccessful government.

If Obama would have wanted to aid democracy in that part of the world, he would have started in Iran

when there was an opportunity. He dropped the ball completely and, instead, went on vacation or something.

He has done more to aid Islam in these two years and to disarm America of weapons and fuel than anyone

previous including Carter. I don't think this will end well until we embrace liberty to it's fullest in our own

country and remove the current president by legitimate means(yes DaveTN, I'm not advocating anything else)

You should also be weary of Aljazeera. They have been known to be a propaganda outlet for Al Quaeda and the

muslim brotherhood.

Regarding the Muslim Brotherhood, a scholar (from Notre Dame, I believe) said that group is not formally organized and is not such a threat as may be believed. There was also a discussion of the power of the Christian Coptics in Egypt - about 20% of the poplulation, thus a minority of approximately 16 million people.

Only time will tell, but I have to feel for the "average" citizen in Egypt; I could not imagine such widespread action like that in the US (and yes, I would suspect anyone who went thru some of the large LA riots likely thought their world was upside down - the average citizen, not the protesters).

The part of me that is so glad to be an American and appreciates all of our freedoms - for example, don't like Mr. Obama or Speaker Boehner - write a letter, post a blog, or work to vote them out next time around with no fear of retribution -make me so thankful for the precious freedoms of being an American. being par. And it makes me even more aware these precious freedoms are ones so many don't have and make the USA so very unique and special (and why so many will risk it all to get here by hook or crook).

But the citizens of Egypt (or elsewhere) need to establish their government - without meddling, imho.

Edited by 7dogguy
Guest Drewsett
I really hope your observation is right, but I fear it is excessively optimistic.

The muslim brotherhood is going to sit it out and let the government fall, be replaced and then

topple the new unsuccessful government.

If Obama would have wanted to aid democracy in that part of the world, he would have started in Iran

when there was an opportunity. He dropped the ball completely and, instead, went on vacation or something.

He has done more to aid Islam in these two years and to disarm America of weapons and fuel than anyone

previous including Carter. I don't think this will end well until we embrace liberty to it's fullest in our own

country and remove the current president by legitimate means(yes DaveTN, I'm not advocating anything else)

You should also be weary of Aljazeera. They have been known to be a propaganda outlet for Al Quaeda and the

muslim brotherhood.

I'd rather be optimistic than pessimistic, but I also try to temper my expectations.

I don't expect Obama to do much of anything. The announcement of Sulieman as the new VP is unprecedented in recent Egyptian history, and Mubarak appointing him may have ensured that the Army sides with the government. Only time will tell.

As far as Aljazeera is concerned, they're an Arab satellite news network. Take them with the same grain of salt that you take CNN and Fox and you'll be fine. The truth often lies in the middle anyways.

Oh, they're also the ONLY news coverage coming out of Egypt right now that isn't state-controlled...so that's worth something.

I also wouldn't as much call them a propaganda outlet...they just print the stories that others won't. News is news, pay attention to the facts and ignore (or at least question) the analysis and you'll be fine, no matter the outlet.

Guest mustangdave

None of this ends good...the US has a bad habit of playing both ends against the middle...and it almost always bites the US in the ass...and rightly so. Plus we tend to project our form of governing on these countries...and it doesn't take root very well. The USA is unique in that we are a government OF THE PEOPLE...no other country has succeeded in forming this type of government...

It's pretty much every man for himself over there right now. It is a SHTF situation. Unfortunately private citizens cannot own firearms over there for the most part. So they are open to all of the bad guys.

On a good note we received word today our family in Cairo finally made it out of the country. They are safely in Dubai.

I think one of our government's biggest concerns is who will take his place, and will they be friendly (even if paid for like Mubarak) to the US.

This! Who's waiting in the wings to take over Egypt? Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Obama can't do much anyway except continue his lack of support towards Israel. He has very little,

if any, leverage in the region. And he started showing support to the kinfolk of the muslim brotherhood

right after he was coronated, I'm sorry, sworn in. I think he wants his muslim friends to take over the

region because it fits his world view and his plans to destroy and rebuild America.

With a muslim controlled middle east, and an inhibited domestic oil supply, it makes us a very weak nation.

All of it ties together and oil is a big factor based on our ridiculous domestic policies, of which Obama's

cronies will not allow new drilling and locking down reserves with an Antiquities Act provision.

When Egypt falls into the hands of the muslim brotherhood and so-called self determination of those allegedly

wanting it over there is proven to be a big joke on us, I wonder how much time is left after we are done

arguing about their freedom? We should have never been over there trying to show them democracy. We

should have been setting deals on that oil all along that were in our favor, since we were the ones that

found it and produced it for them. for that, we will pay the ultimate price. There will be no freedom in Egypt

at any time in the future. Unless the benchmark for freedom is Iran, that is.There will be muslim pseudo-religious

rule and it will be what causes a lot of problems in the market place. Well that was being polite. World problems.

Warbird, that is great news!

Guest mustangdave
This! Who's waiting in the wings to take over Egypt? Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Basically...there's NO ONE...Like I said in my post...this doesn't end good for US...Israel...the whole Middle East region...this IMHO...is a "tipping point" of history...an Archduke Ferdinand moment

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno what we can do to influence the outcome. Or if we should try.

Iran in the 1970's was blowback from our meddling in the 1950's. The entire region is blowback from Brit and French colonialist meddling. We are still paying heavily for blowback from previous meddling.

I'm not saying the region would be in any better shape if we had not interfered. However, even if the region was full of peed-off people, perhaps they wouldn't be so peed-off at us. Them folks hold a grudge for a long time.

Perhaps the best practical outcome is if they busy themselves fighting among themselves?

Mohammed El Baradei is probably the best outcome for us in the region. He seems to have a lot of the support of the protesters as well. I was reading that the protesters are very distrustful of the Muslim Brotherhood, even though MB is supporting the protests, because they realize they would be trading one form of oppression for another. I think there is potential for this to turn out well for us. The protesters considered us allies when it all first started but when Obama didn't immediately come out in support of the protesters they started viewing western journalists with suspicion, as if they might be spies for the regime. (That's why I posted this)

I think slowing and making the progress more deliberate will be helpful but I think they need to get Mubarek out now. Let the VP he appointed handle the transition process. The protesters may be distrustful of a Mubarek appointee but with the international attention this is getting I think they could be convinced that process was legitimate with international oversight.

Guest mustangdave

If the hand picked VP were not the former INTELLIGENCE CHIEF...I might agree...Intel to me means to much cloak and dagger...getting rid of the other competition