Ruger 10/22 vs Savage model 64

Adamant

Hey fellas,

Looking to buy my first .22LR. I check the local stores and found my top two. I really liked the feel of the Savage 64. It had a wood stock and a bushnell scope. They wanted $189 for it but the guy behind the counter said it should come down to $159 within the next month or so. The other gun is the ruger 10/22. It too had a wood stock but no scope. It was $208 but he said the other store just across the road has the same gun for $189 and he could give it to me for that. He recommended the ruger because you can change a lot of the parts out but I probably wont do any of that. This is my first rifle. I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm that we shoot every month or so and use it for home defense. I don't anticipate going hunting with this rifle. Just shooting some paper and the occasional coke can. If anybody has either of these guns or has shot them, give me some info. Thanks in advance guys!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start with the 10/22 simply because should you decide to; the modifications are limitless.

However…. If you just want a semi auto that is cheap, but tack driver accurate out of the box, I would take a look at the Remington 597.

I have no experience with the Savage. My first experience with a 10/22 was with the blued with wood stocks model my nephew got for Christmas last month. We took it out to give it a try and using Winchester bulk pack ammo, after taking a few shots to get used to the rifle - and standing out in the somewhat bitter cold - he, my brother in law and I were all picking off empty 20 gauge shotgun hulls from about 20 yards away, right out of the box using the open sights. I have an old Winchester 190 that I picked up used. It is accurate enough and I don't really 'need' another semiauto .22 rifle but that Ruger was such a tack driver that it is making me think that maybe I 'need' a 10/22, after all.

I like that the 10/22 and its big brother the Mini 14 have (to me) some pretty classic lines that remind me of an M1 Carbine. I also like that there are extended mags available for the 10/22 and the rifle feels really good in my hands.