Takin the class Finally!!

Guest BMcCoy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jcramin

Just kidding. You have to be blind and with an IQ in the negative range to fail.

LOL Yea think.... When my wife took her class there was a girl in her mid 20's who just got back from Iraq. SHE FAILED the shooting part of her test.

There was also a mother and daughter the mother was in her 60's the daughter was in her 40's the MOTHER passed the daughter FAILED her shooting part of the test.

J

Guest TNCarters

How do you miss a body sized target at 7 yards much less the closer distance we started with?

Went through the APPS class nice and slow with my Beretta 92FS and just for fun did it again with the instructors Ruger GP100 while rest of class finished up. Man that was fun. 100 rounds in the black.

Guest ETS_Inc

The State will allow schools to teach some of the "range" portion in the class, as opposed to actually on the range. That's what we do at ASP. The 'range' portion is the part that includes not only the actual shooting, but also the fundamentals of marksmanship and safety portions. That's how you turn 48-50 rounds into 4 hours.

Eighty-two people in a class is really too big. That's just too many students. The student : instructor ration is far too big. That's why we limit our classes to no more than 24 students. Of course, having just 8 lanes means 24 students equates 3 firing orders. Guns & Leather has 10 lanes, IIRC. That means 8 firing orders for 80 students. No wonder it took over 4 hours to qualify everyone.

Guest jackdog

Man that was a large class. Well I guess you know now that you've been through it that it really is not much of a test either written or shooting. Actually it's more of a joke if you ask me.

Guest ETS_Inc

You're right, the tests are pretty easy. However, I have seen both parts failed. It takes a special brand of dumb to fail an open-note test where all the answers are given to you in class. The shooting part is easy for those of us who do even a moderate amount of shooting, but I have seen some people have a problem with it. In fact, in a recent class, I had two people fail the shooting portion.

The first one, a lady, went through four guns before we found one she could barely handle. She had very minimal shooting experience before class. She brought a S&W 642 with her. We didn't think she'd be able to do well at 15 yards, so we let her use one of our S&W 67's. She had ahard time with the DA trigger, so she chose to use her 642, which had had a trigger job done recently. But, the reach on it was too far for her fingers. (Guess who picked out the gun for her? If you said her husband, you'd be right.) Once she realized that she couldn't hit with it, we gave her a Glock 19, which is usually an easy gun to shoot. But, due to her problems with the last two guns, she had a horrible flinch. She ended up hitting 28 out of 50. So, she shot again, as part of the next firing order. This time, she used my Walther P22. She qualified, but barely. IIRC, she hit 38-40, out of 50.

The second person was a gentleman in his '60's. He started out with a Glock, but couldn't get over his flinch, either. He shot a 32, out of 50, IIRC. Most of his rounds were in the legs or below the bottom of the paper. The only thing he hit in the mid-third of the target were at 3 yards. We kept him after class, and let him use a Ruger MkIII. Then, he hit about 45/50.

They're not the only ones I've seen fail. They were just the most recent ones. It seems the reason most people fail is because they are intimidated by their guns, even something as low-recoiling as a .22 pistol. That, or they just refuse to listen when you tell them to relax and slowly pull the trigger.

Guest jackdog

Well probably better that they failed. People like that really should not a carry. At least until they gey some formal instruction and a whole lot of practice.

My wife and I took the HCP class together from Tom Givens at Rangemaster in Memphis- only 10 minutes from our house. The course was spread over two evenings.

We both have Ph.D.'s- I am a psychologist and she is a professor at the U of Memphis. Being academically oriented, we both actually studied for the written test and, naturally, we both passed it easily.

Afterward Givens pointed out to the class that all of the answers to the written test were in plain sight on the classroom walls-- training posters, diagrams, charts, etc. All you had to do was look around and everything was answered for you.

There was some sort of lesson in that for my wife and I.

Guest bang-flash

i attended one of the g&l classes in november. about 50-60 people in the class. was not very impressed by the proceedings. i was looking forward to the 4 hours of range time, but was disappointed.