Anyone work for TVA?

Guest Satt

Hey all. It's been a while since I posted and I hope everyone is well. I just got an engineering internship at TVA. They have a policy against "unauthorised weapons" on property. I asked the orientation people if "unauthorised" included people with carry permits...they didn't know. They were just like "guns are bad"...hippies. Anyway, does anyone work there and could tell me more about this policy or if you carry there? Thanks in advance. I like the environment there so far, but I don't know if I could ever work somewhere for a career that doesn't respect my 2nd ammendment rights. Have a great day!!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the facility you are going to be working at owned by the ACOE? If so then you can't. Firearms are prohibited on all Corp property. This includes the lakes that the dams create because those are corp property as well. Still haven't gotten an answer about the rivers below the dams though and I have checked several places. No one seems to know the answer to that question.

I like the environment there so far, but I don't know if I could ever work somewhere for a career that doesn't respect my 2nd ammendment rights.

It is impossible for a company to recognize something as a right when the state where they are doing business does not. Our state is very clear that we do not have a right to carry. An employer is responsible for providing a safe working environment. They don’t want to be held responsible for checking to see who has purchased the privilege from the state and who is committing a criminal act.

Guns in the workplace are a liability nightmare for business. Until that liability is removed most companies of any size are not going to allow it. 97% of the people in Tennessee can’t legally carry. Risking a big lawsuit for the 3% that can wouldn’t be fair to the other families.

Congratulations on the new job. I hear TVA is a very good place to work.

Guest colrmccoll

I retired from the organization about 9 years ago. Worked for 25 years, long before CCW became an issue. The general answer is no. In leased buildings were TVA is not the sole occupant is the only place it may be somewhat ambiguous. The answer is an emphatic no in any of the operating plants or parking lots of the plants.

I once loaned a friend my .270 so he could deer hunt. Brought it to work downtown Knoxville. Was politely told by security that they would hold the rifle until after work. Lesson learned. It was hardly concealed. I did remove the bolt and there was no ammo in the case.

Be careful, this can be grounds for dismissal.

Finding a large company that will not fire you if they find out you are carrying a handgun in their building or even parking lot. You will probably not get unemployment because you are fired 'for cause'. I highly doubt the TN unemployment commission cares if you have a permit, thus unemployment compensation would be denied to you.

The best bet is to be very low key about handguns even in your car. People at my work know i participate in outdoor sports, but that is the extent they know about my gun use outside the home. People who are ok with hunting and having a firearm at home for protection sometimes flip out at the thought of people carrying one or keeping in your car on company property. If you carry to/from work or on your person, hide it well and do not allow anyone to dig in your car. Of course, the people you work for cannot pat you down, so difficult to find a small handgun on you.

Isn't the TVA owned by or in some way related to the federal government?

Guest colrmccoll

TVA is a semi-government agency. It is private in the sense that it is self funding and is actually paying back the debt used to start it in the late 1930's.

The president appoints the board members (I think for a 9 year term) but beyond that they are independent.

Employees are governed by most of the federal rules but have their own self funded retirement system.

They have their own investigating units and police. The feds do not get involved except in some issues associated with the nuclear program.

Federal prosecuting attorneys will prosecute for criminal activity including gun crimes.

A good place to work; just gotta know the rules.

Is the retirement pretty good like a federal job? Just curious if the TVA has any operations as far west as the Memphis area. Memphis Light Gas requires you to be a memphis city resident to work for them, so i think i will pass on considering them in the future.

Guest TNCarters

I work for the Army Corps of Engineers and can tell you TVA's offices and Project sites are not a part of the Army. We do operate the navigation facilities on TVA projects for the government but the projects remain the property of TVA and subject to the authority of TVA's federal police force. TVA Police are armed security force that I believe can issue citations similar to a LEO.

I do not know for certain but suspect most TVA buildings and project sites would be considered like federal government property even though TVA is semi-federal at this point since losing federal funding several years back.

Guest TNCarters

Razorback, I did not answer your last question. TVA has field offices scattered everywhere that drains into the Tennessee River. Most main offices are in either Knoxville or Chattanooga. They probably have some offices just west of the Tennessee River but probably not west of Jackson.

From what I know working with their people is they have a very good pay and retirement system. The trick is to find a position that does not get reorganized every 5 to 10 years as seems to be the norm of their engineering and admin offices. Many Army Corps employees are previous TVA that got reorganized out of a job. Their power distribution and project sites seem to be more stable.

Guest colrmccoll

Tva's retirement is the same as most other large corporations. They have a 401K plan where they contribute 3% of your salary as long as you contribute at least as much. I believe you can contribute up to 6%.

If you run the numbers, this will make you very wealthy over a career. The great thing is this is portable to an IRA if you want to change jobs or get laid off.

The catch is that a lot of employees are contract where they are simply paid by the hour.

Guest colrmccoll
Tva's retirement is the same as most other large corporations. They have a 401K plan where they contribute 3% of your salary as long as you contribute at least as much. I believe you can contribute up to 6%.

If you run the numbers, this will make you very wealthy over a career. The great thing is this is portable to an IRA if you want to change jobs or get laid off.

The catch is that a lot of employees are contract where they are simply paid by the hour.

I forgot to mention, there is no relationship with TVA and any other federal retirement plan.

Boy is this way off topic.

• 4 months later...
Guest page90lx
Is the retirement pretty good like a federal job? Just curious if the TVA has any operations as far west as the Memphis area. Memphis Light Gas requires you to be a memphis city resident to work for them, so i think i will pass on considering them in the future.

Yes tva bought allen steam plant in memphis some years ago, and all tva plants are considered goverment property so you can not carry legally.

Edited by page90lx
Guest DylisTN
TVA is a semi-government agency. It is private in the sense that it is self funding and is actually paying back the debt used to start it in the late 1930's.

The president appoints the board members (I think for a 9 year term) but beyond that they are independent.

Employees are governed by most of the federal rules but have their own self funded retirement system.

They have their own investigating units and police. The feds do not get involved except in some issues associated with the nuclear program.

Federal prosecuting attorneys will prosecute for criminal activity including gun crimes.

A good place to work; just gotta know the rules.

An Authority is a government. The danger is they are not elected. So you cannot vote them out for their actions. If they were not so elite and non-responsive they would follow the laws of the states which are made by elected representatives. So we each endure a little tyranny when we try to enjoy “Public Landsâ€. The proper thing would be for the TVA to eliminate its police force. Stick to administrative and business issues. Leave Law to elected official, and enforcement to local and state jurisdictions.

No place in modern society for petty despots who make laws without the counter balance of the voting public.

Rant, rant, rant . . .

as far as water ways are concerned i was told by a tva officer if a weapon was legal on the road ways it was legal on the water. this was about 3 yrs ago. things may have changed. and we all know how well officers know the law.