New here, with a question.

Guest South7930

Guest South7930

Hello. I would like to know if you have to have a Driver's License to buy a gun, or will a ID card work. Also acording to anyones answer, I would like to know where you got that information, website, etc.

Edited by South7930
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Well for you, neither, since you're 16 you can't buy a gun anyway. :) Otherwise, if it's face to face, you need nothing. If it's at a dealer, they like driver's licenses, but I would think any state issued ID with your current address on it would work.

18 to buy guns, 18 to own a handgun, any age may own a rifle/shotgun given as a gift.

This can be found most easily at a nasty anti gun site, might as well use their effort for references: http://www.lcav.org/states/Tennessee_State_Law_Summary.pdf#page=7

and review Legal Community Against Violence

Its probably somewhere on the tn.gov site, but I couldnt find it in a hurry, their site is awful.

18 to buy guns, 18 to own a handgun, any age may own a rifle/shotgun given as a gift.

This can be found most easily at a nasty anti gun site, might as well use their effort for references: http://www.lcav.org/states/Tennessee_State_Law_Summary.pdf#page=7

and review Legal Community Against Violence

Its probably somewhere on the tn.gov site, but I couldnt find it in a hurry, their site is awful.

also 21 to legally buy a handgun.

Hello. I would like to know if you have to have a Driver's License to buy a gun, or will a ID card work. Also acording to anyones answer, I would like to know where you got that information, website, etc.

Hey South, since your question has been pretty well answered above let me just say welcome to TGO. I think I speak for all of us when I say that it's great that you are taking an active interest in firearms at such a young age. I hope you find the site useful and the folks (mostly) friendly. ;)

Guest bkelm18
also 21 to legally buy a handgun.

Well technically, depending on state law, you can buy a handgun face to face at age 18. You just can't buy it from a dealer.

Guest South7930

I fully know that you have to be eighteen to purchase a rifle and 21 to get a Handgun. I have looked and looked everywhere to find a answer to my question. Still I am nowhere. Everybody it seems don't know the answer, even on a site like this. Looks like i'll just have to call around or maybe even talk to a Police.

I fully know that you have to be eighteen to purchase a rifle and 21 to get a Handgun. I have looked and looked everywhere to find a answer to my question. Still I am nowhere. Everybody it seems don't know the answer, even on a site like this. Looks like i'll just have to call around or maybe even talk to a Police.

A state issued ID card will work. I can't link the info right now,I'm on my phone, but I worked at a gun store for 3 years. A valid picture ID will work.

I'm slightly curious why a 16 year old would ask though.

Guest bkelm18

Calm down kid. Follow this process:

1. Pick up telephone.

2. Press number corresponding to your local gun shop.

3. Ask your question.

4. Receive your answer.

No need to get your knickers in a wad. Firstly, a lot of people don't look at this section of the site. Secondly, you should have clarified your question so people would have given you the answer or at least steered you in the correct direction.

No… you don’t need to call the Police.

Private sales are generally controlled by Tennessee state laws.

Legal Resources

Dealer sales are generally controlled by the Feds.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions

But some sales are controlled by both.

If it’s from a private individual it depends on what they require. If you can’t prove to me your age or state of residence; I wouldn’t sell to you. Who is 18 years old in Tennessee that doesn’t have a driver’s license?

It’s like liquor, or cigarettes; it isn’t worth the risk.

Guest South7930

I would like that link you said about if you don't mind. Anyway, I asked this question because I just wanted to know. I have a 12 gauge shot gun that is years and years old, a Savage 22. that was my dads till he passed a way nearly three years ago, and I have a Marlin 22. that was my Grandfather's rifle. It's killed all manner of creatures from squirels to dogs.

Edited by South7930
Guest NashvegasMatt
I would like that link you said about if you don't mind. Anyway, I asked this question because I just wanted to know. I have a 12 gauge shot gun that is years and years old, a Savage 22. that was my dads till he passed a way nearly three years ago, and I have a Marlin 22. that was my Grandfather's rifle. It's killed all manner of creatures from squirels to dogs.

I know everyone is thinking this so I'll say it... why has it killed dogs?

Legal Resources

You want to dig in here, hit the index, choose guns or firearms or whatever, then you are in for a WEEK of reading. Its all in there, somewhere, but its not easy to navigate or use. This link came from the TN.gov site, and is as official as I know how to provide.

If I had time I would find the related sections, but I do not.

Guest South7930
I know everyone is thinking this so I'll say it... why has it killed dogs?

Well, like I said, it was my Grandfathers rifle. You see he grew Tobacco, and he had a neighbour who had dogs that loafed alot and in the course of doing so came through his tobacco fields quite often. The dogs you see left scat (poop) in the fields. He got fed up with this and talked with the afore mentioned neighbour who did nothing to stop his dogs. So he shot them. A similar story to this (don't ask where I heard this, my brother told me this and he don't know where this originated) was where a man constantly tresspassed on to another mans property to hunt. This man got tired of this and confonted this man one time, he still continued, and so the Man shot tresspasser through the cheast with a 12 gauge shot gun.

Well, like I said, it was my Grandfathers rifle. You see he grew Tobacco, and he had a neighbour who had dogs that loafed alot and in the course of doing so came through his tobacco fields quite often. The dogs you see left scat (poop) in the fields. He got fed up with this and talked with the afore mentioned neighbour who did nothing to stop his dogs. So he shot them. A similar story to this (don't ask where I heard this, my brother told me this and he don't know where this originated) was where a man constantly tresspassed on to another mans property to hunt. This man got tired of this and confonted this man one time, he still continued, and so the Man shot tresspasser through the cheast with a 12 gauge shot gun.

You may OWN that rifle that you inherited, at 18. Until then, its still yours, but you should not be out and about with it until you are of age, unless you have someone of age with you. Also, you can use it if you are with someone of age all you want: if you hunt however you must get a permit and so must the person you are with. If anyone asks, the gun is your parent's and you borrowed it for the day. All this info is as best as I understand it, but you don't want to get in trouble, so you really need to read up on the laws to see if you agree with what I said.

The adult with you does not have to shoot, but should at least know the basic gun safety rules (as should you) and which end of the gun the bullet comes from. Be safe, be legal, and have fun =)

LOL

Welcome 7930. I really hope you stick around a while.