My Glock and AR Project.

Guest KCC

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rookie, Let me know when you want some lessons.

IMG_1193.jpg

I'm just bustin your balls, it looks good. I'm trying to figure out which colors you used. Looks like a Sniper Grey maybe, Gun Metal Grey maybe and I'm not sure the third color. Oh and that 1/16" digital pattern, I wouldn't wish that kind of work on anyone.

Wow I was way off in the colors, The AR looks nice, a bit much for me. The most extreme AR I have is a throwback to Vietnam Tigerstripe, I did that one like 3 years ago. Give me some time I'll learn to spot the colors of Cerakote, I do pretty good with Duracoat spotting. It looks like you could use a sweet little Surefire IR laser on there...Nicely done though.

Wow I was way off in the colors, The AR looks nice, a bit much for me. The most extreme AR I have is a throwback to Vietnam Tigerstripe, I did that one like 3 years ago. Give me some time I'll learn to spot the colors of Cerakote, I do pretty good with Duracoat spotting. It looks like you could use a sweet little Surefire IR laser on there...Nicely done though.

Thanks man. How do you like the duracoat VS the cerakote?

Thanks man. How do you like the duracoat VS the cerakote?

I did my comparison in another thread, it's titled exactly that. I'm still working on my learning curve with Cerakote but it's not too much different prep work and application than Duracoat. I had to learn the hard way about applying a "wet" coat with the cera, but that was learned early on some starter pieces. I just got my account with NIC a few days ago and was buying a very limited amount of colors for about 10 less than what NIC has them for from Brownells. I'm very impressed with the durability right out of the oven during reassembly and installing sights. I'm not impressed by the price and lack of color choices of the specific firearm paints. I've yet to do a camo pattern with the cera, what kind of masking/vinyl do you use and how does it hold up in the oven or do you take it off before baking? Or for the camo patterns do you use the air cure line? Do you have your own vinyl cutter? I know mine has came in useful for a lot of projects, I use mine to make masks on glasses before I sand blast them to etch the glass.

There's a pretty big learning curve when it comes to camo with cerakote. There's a few techniques you can use but it's all what works for you.

The wet coat is kinda misleading.. To wet, you have a run, to dry and you have a texture issue.. You have to look at it as a coating. You simply want to lay down the coating, then color it in if that makes sense. I use a low tack vinyl. I don't pull stencils until the very end. You have to watch how much you lay down. You don't want it feeling like a sticker with uneven finishes. It's all a technique, and choice of placement of the coating.

I don't have my own cutter, I pay 20$ for four yards of stencil which will do about 6 guns or 4 with scope, light and magazine. I thinking about getting the one from walmart for no bigger than what I cut.

Edited by KCC

I used to have a Roland STX-8 12" cut, but the software was so old it only would work with my old desktop computer. Well that computer crashed so I got rid of the Roland, I had only paid $100 for it to begin with. I am not working with a USCutter MH series 12" cutter (USCutter MH-series Vinyl Cutter) and I think I spent $245 or something after shipping. The damn thing is heavy for what it is, and it works with all my computers (XP, Vista, 7). The only thing that's time consuming is getting the images vectored to go into the cutter program. 20$ isn't bad, I get my vinyl from walmart just due to accessibility, it has worked very well so far and it's only 9$ for 2 12x18" sheets. I guess when the situation arises I'll be playing around with the camo patterns and see how I do, I like to think I have the Duracoat process down, still learning with the cera though.