Tour of Honor

LagerHead

I have recently become acquainted with and am taking part in a motorcycle ride called the Tour of Honor. In short the ride is to raise money and awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project. It consists of seven sites in each of the sponsored states. Each site is dedicated to those “ ...that fought, or are still fighting for, our lives, freedom and pursuit of happiness.†While these can include memorials to police, fire, EMS, the majority are military related.

The founders and sponsors of the TOH rides have asked for state sponsors to come up with sites in their respective states and I have volunteered for the great state of Tennessee. And that's where you all come in. If you know of a site that would be appropriate for the 2012 TOH, please list it here. Especially if you know the story of the memorial. Once I have a list of 10 sites, I can get our state submitted to be added for next year's ride.

Also, if you are a motorcyclist and would like to participate, please see the TOH link above and sign up. If you have any questions let me know.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of no place better in my area than a lap around the national cemetary here in chattanooga, where vets since at least the civil war have been buried.

As a side note, in order for the sites to be added to the list, I have to visit each site and take photographs for submission to the folks at TOH. This sounds like a great place to start.

I can think of no place better in my area than a lap around the national cemetary here in chattanooga, where vets since at least the civil war have been buried.

Knoxville has one also, from 1863.

Knoxville National Cemetery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

250px-Knoxville-union-soldier-monument-tn1.jpg

Didn't know till I read about it that it's actually administrated by the 'Nooga National Cemetery.

There is also the Tennessee Veterans Cemetery here.

tnvets_entrance2.jpg

Also, Sgt. York's home/museum comes immediately to mind.

- OS

Knoxville has one also, from 1863.

Knoxville National Cemetery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Didn't know till I read about it that it's actually administrated by the 'Nooga National Cemetery.

There is also the Tennessee Veterans Cemetery here.

Also, Sgt. York's home/museum comes immediately to mind.

- OS

I forgot about York's home. I am definitely going to look into that one as well.

how about Mountain Home VA hospital in Johnson City

I'll check with the committee on that one. I need sites from east to west covering the whole state, so JC is high on the list for locations. Now if there is a memorial at or near the VA Hospital, then I'd say it would be a lock for the list.

I'll suggest the Tennessee Vietman Veterans Memorial Wall located in Clarksville, TN,

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/tag/tennessee-vietnam-veterans-memorial-wall/

Clarksville is also the location of Fort Campbell, home of the 101st Airborne Division. Many of our troops currently deploy and return there.

My bad and my apologies to Chapter 203 Vietnam Veterans of America. I did not realize this is a moving memorial. There is a permanent memorial in Nashville.

That's OK. I still am going to try to get something near Ft. Campbell.

• 1 month later...

Bumpity. If you know of a memorial site in the state please add it here. Not only will it get Tennessee represented in the Tour Of Honor next year, it will give me a great excuse to ride my motorcycle to parts of the state I may not otherwise visit.