What would you think??.....

Guest LiLBucket

Guest LiLBucket

Alrighty, I figured this would be a good place to get a general consensus on how my gift idea would be accepted.

My oldest brother and his wife are having their first child, a boy, in June. I have been kicking around the idea of giving my brother a gun engraved with the baby's name and birthday on it as a congratulations sort of thing. He's just recently discovered the fun of the gun (after all these years of thinking his little brother was a psycho mercenary lunatic with to many guns) and I think he'll be a great father and teach his son all about guns.

What would you say if you were him and you got an AR lower receiver that was engraved with your baby's name and birthday? I think it could be something that he could hold onto and build when the kid is old enough, and be able to customize and enjoy it together. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Colt 1911 that I looked at and with the possible gun ban, it'd be somewhat valuable in the future.

Any ideas or input would be valued and appreciated!!:D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question

How does Momma feel about guns? I know this is your brother, but it is her family and if she doesn't want them around, then don't do it.

Comment

With the current administration that we have in Washington, purchasing a weapon for someone before they are even born is probably a good idea. I don't know that I would engrave the name on the gun, but if you were to go with the 1911, I know a place where you can get some www.wickedgrips.com from. Sorry admin if this is not the right place for this type of thing, let me know and I will be happy to remove the link.

Guest LiLBucket
Question

How does Momma feel about guns? I know this is your brother, but it is her family and if she doesn't want them around, then don't do it.

I've posted this on a few other forums I frequent and this has been the initial response on all of em!! lol

She'll be fine with it. He already has a few guns and talks about getting more. I'm think I'm already labeled as the crazy uncle so I don't think anyone will be to shocked! My fiance is in charge of creating a diversion for his wife, something soft or squeeky!!

if you were to go with the 1911, I know a place where you can get some www.wickedgrips.com from. Sorry admin if this is not the right place for this type of thing, let me know and I will be happy to remove the link.

Some of the topics here look more like advertising and spam than information. But it's not my board. :D

I'm not counting your post in that category, Saints. Ed makes great grips for the 1911.

Guest LiLBucket

I've found a decent price and seemingly good quality lower from Superior Arms. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Their lowers have an overtravel adjusting screw on them, seems like a nice feature. And at $85 each for two and $5 shipping, seems like a deal.

Input?

Guest GlocKingTN
It sounds like a perfect heirloom that could be passed down to the son when he's of age. As long as momma is on board with it, I think it's a wonderful idea.

I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. But make sure the BOSS approves first.....:D

I like the way you guys think.

When I was 12, my brother bought me my first firearm. it was a single shot, breechloading .22 made by ithica arms...it looked like a 30-30, and shot .22 shorts, longs and long rifles.

I learned some of my best marksmanship with that rifle.

I also remember how it felt to get it. we went out into the back 40 and started immediately to shoot. when he comes of age to shoot, he'll look forward to something that he can shoot immediately (kids are all about instant gratification it seems).

I would say buy the lower and do that for AFTER he gets a good starter rifle.

or build it WITH him on the birthday before he comes of age and present it on the appropriate date. Just my idea

Guest LiLBucket

Thanks for the input!

ReefBlue-I'd love to buy a complete gun...just a wee bit $$ at this time.Plus, I can pick up a lower for myself under the radar (AKA, wifey)!! My brother is the type that'll enjoy building and customizing the gun either for his son or with him, so I know it won't be a burden. Him and his wife make too much anyway, he can afford the build more than me anyhow!! Grrr!

Carry on!

Ah, well that's good. I just pictured a scenario where you give him a gun part and then tell him he's going to have to spend hundreds of dollars in order to make it a complete gun :lol:

And then the assembly process once he gets the upper.

"Ok son, line them up, put these two pins in.....<2 seconds later>.....wasn't that fun!"

:D

Guest GlocKingTN
My daughter and son both will be taught firearms. Nice when you can make that part of their PE for home school.

Now that would be awesome!:lol:

Guest LiLBucket

"Ok son, line them up, put these two pins in.....<2 seconds later>.....wasn't that fun!"

:lol:

HaHA!! Knowing him, he'll build it and "test" for quality about the same time his son discovers squirt guns!!! Plus, it'll be less threatening to his wife then a big-black complete gun would be!

Consecutive serial numbers would be a nice touch as well IMO. My dad really likes .22LR's and I've considered getting a pair of consecutively serial numbered standard Ruger 10/22's at some point, one to give him, the other for myself, but that's something that I know would appeal to my father. I don't know about your brother, but it's something to think about.

Guest LiLBucket
Consecutive serial numbers would be a nice touch as well IMO. My dad really likes .22LR's and I've considered getting a pair of consecutively serial numbered standard Ruger 10/22's at some point, one to give him, the other for myself, but that's something that I know would appeal to my father. I don't know about your brother, but it's something to think about.

I hadn't thought of that. Good idea! I'll look into it. I found a company that lets you pick the serial number. It would be cool to have the kids birthday in the serial number, but the birth is to far off to know for sure and I din't want to wait on buying the lowers.

I already ordered two Superior Arms lowers from RBPrecision, but they're on backorder. I may be able to request the sequential serial number thing.....off to find the phone number!

Thanks Skwash!

Guest LiLBucket

I just got off the phone with RBprecision. Sequential serial numbers it is!!! Great company to deal with by the way if anyone is looking for AR parts or whatnot.

Thanks again Skwashdem!!!:rant: