Kiss your Saiga shotguns goodbye

The ATF will be ruling on what consitutes a sporting shotgun. And only those who are considered sporting shotguns will allowed to be imported. Saiga shotguns are rumored to be one of the ones that will no longer be considered a sporting shotgun.

This is the first step, next will be domectically made shotguns that mimic the Saigas. Similar to what they did with the Streep Sweeper and their copies.

ATF to Issue New Ruling on Monday regarding New Restrictions on Shotgun Importation

January 19th, 2011

Today, the ATF announced at the 2011 SHOT Show that a new ruling would be issued on Monday, January 24, 2011, regarding the importability of certain shotguns. ATF informed the audience at the ATF Townhall meeting that they wanted to ensure that they were properly and justly enforcing the requirements of a shotgun being for a “sporting purpose.â€

This is definitely concerning given the huge demand for certain shotguns like the Saiga platform, which has seen a noticeable increase in demand. While ATF would not comment on which shotguns will be named in this ruling, I would not be surprised to hear that the Saiga is going to be mentioned in the ruling, given the large capacity magazines and feeding devices that are now available.

Some may remember that ATF determined that the USAS-12 was a Destructive Device because it had “no sporting purpose,†and had a barrel diameter of more than 1/2 inch. The determination that it had no sporting purpose was largely because of the semi-automatic shotgun having large magazine and drum feeding devices, for which, ATF said there would be no sporting purpose.

When I inquired whether this ruling would encompass any DD determinations, the response was that it would not; however, I believe the affect will be that certain US-made shotguns may end up becoming DD’s by this new ruling.

Dolomite

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I should order some more mags for my S12.....lol Mine is for shooting class and 3 gun....both sporting purposes...not sure how they can claim the pistol grip is non sporting when plenty of Mossberg and 870's have pistol grips. If they ban importation of them, I wouldn't be surprised. I think there's enough info out there to build them from parts.

Anyway, this is another useless waste of time. Are non-sporting shotguns any more dangerous than traditional one's ?....lol

Edited by Kenstaroni
Guest Knightsr25

Thank goodness. I am so tired of the daily news reports of non-sporting shotguns being used in criminal activity. I think they are the choice of criminals due their stealthy appearance and easy concealability. Maybe now they will stop being carried by every elementary school kid. The government solution seems to be fixing a problem that doesn't exist while ignoring the ones that do. Sure, I want to pay more taxes for this level of incompetence.

I'm hearing it may be about the 28 gauge Taurus Judge and a couple shotgun pistols on the market....we'll find out tomorrow I guess.

The 28ga Judge has already been canceled by Taurus. Guess they should have thought about NFA laws before they designed.

The ruling tomorrow is going to be about the importation of certain guns. What meets the "sporting" criteria and what doesn't.

Guest rebeldrummer

might need to get one?? hate the thought that I need to get something out of fear that because of some STUPID people I may not have a chance to later??? that ruling would be pety and just plain stupid...

• Admin Team

It's interesting that their position paper is talking about bayonet lugs on shotguns - thus affecting the 1897 Winchester Trench Gun clones. Mind you, it is a Chinese clone, but it strikes me as "outlawing" one of the most iconic weapons in U.S. military history.

Oh well...the irony is probably lost on them anyway.

It's interesting that their position paper is talking about bayonet lugs on shotguns - thus affecting the 1897 Winchester Trench Gun clones. Mind you, it is a Chinese clone, but it strikes me as "outlawing" one of the most iconic weapons in U.S. military history.

Oh well...the irony is probably lost on them anyway.

We can't have people turning their shotgun into a spear. Glad to see these folks are living in the real world.

We can't have people turning their shotgun into a spear. Glad to see these folks are living in the real world.

Yeah, I never understood the obsession with bayonet lugs. When was the last time we had a case of a criminal running someone through with a bayonet mounted on a long gun?

Although, I do have to admit it would be entertaining to watch the crips and the bloods go at it with a daring bayonet charge...

The ATF makes me a little sad inside.

I can think of a lot worse things to say about that bunch than just "sad",

like, "they have no right or reason to exist", and "there are way too many cops

in the federal government system without them".

That's enough for now.

And, since when do they have the right to define a certain platform is illegal

for import without additional legislation authorizing the action?