1957 vs 2007

MikePapa1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Professor at TTU said "The Millers Tale" is one of the most vulgar and dirty of The Canterbury tales. So that is of course the first one we will study.

Didn't know it at the time but he is a gun guy and was on the board of Garand Collectors Association for awhile.

I have not seen one post by anyone who has a freaking clue what is was like in 1957. We only know what it was like second handed.

I believe Bryan and Crimson got it right though.

That's 'cause you're a young 'un. I had already received several good ass whippin's by the end of '57 :shrug:

I have not seen one post by anyone who has a freaking clue what is was like in 1957. We only know what it was like second handed.

I believe Bryan and Crimson got it right though.

I was there. Most people were taller than me. Everybody drove antique cars. My homeroom teacher was Mrs. Kemper.

The point is that we can look back on the halcyon days of the past, but when you look at the big picture, it wasn't better, it was just different.

It would be great if we weren't overly politically correct about every little thing, but cherry-picking the good things from the 'good old days' doesn't do anyone any good. Fact is there was some really ugly stuff going on during those golden times, and pretending as if the times were better then doesn't serve anyone.

+1

Guest Lester Weevils

Having traveled thru time from 1949 to deliver this message-- People didn't make as much money, but stuff didn't cost as much, and there wasn't as much stuff available to buy. Air conditioning was relatively rare, making drug stores and movie theaters very popular in the summer. Nobody had a personal computer and most folks only had a foggy idea what a computer was sposed to do or what it was good for.

People read old-fashioned contraptions called books. Tube equipment was cheap and transistor equipment was expensive. Medical care wasn't especially expensive because if you got real sick there wasn't a whole heck of a lot they could do about it.

Especially in rural or small-town areas, I think schools were pretty good in spite of small education budgets. The teacher occupation did not pay very much but it was easier and more interesting work than overtime at the cotton mill. Because there were fewer occupational choices, teacher looked pretty good compared to the alternatives and attracted more talented people back then. There were not so many available career niches for the folk on the high end of the bell curve

I'm not trash-talking modern teachers. Money isn't the only reason people choose a career. There are many fine teachers nowadays.

It is just that people have more occupational choices nowadays. We would have to pay teachers huge salaries make the trade salary-competitive to other high-pay-interesting work. To attract the same caliber of teachers as back then. On the other hand we probably can't afford to pay that much money. And we would have to pay the extra money for maybe a decade before substantial numbers of highly-qualified folk would enter the field. It is a problem.

The other interesting thing about that, is that there were a whole lot of really smart folk working rather mundane jobs back then, because there wasn't much else to do. Some of the tradesmen back then might be college perfessors nowadays.

Guest mosinon
Having traveled thru time from 1949 to deliver this message-- People didn't make as much money, but stuff didn't cost as much, and there wasn't as much stuff available to buy. Air conditioning was relatively rare, making drug stores and movie theaters very popular in the summer. Nobody had a personal computer and most folks only had a foggy idea what a computer was sposed to do or what it was good for.

People read old-fashioned contraptions called books. Tube equipment was cheap and transistor equipment was expensive. Medical care wasn't especially expensive because if you got real sick there wasn't a whole heck of a lot they could do about it.

Especially in rural or small-town areas, I think schools were pretty good in spite of small education budgets. The teacher occupation did not pay very much but it was easier and more interesting work than overtime at the cotton mill. Because there were fewer occupational choices, teacher looked pretty good compared to the alternatives and attracted more talented people back then. There were not so many available career niches for the folk on the high end of the bell curve

I'm not trash-talking modern teachers. Money isn't the only reason people choose a career. There are many fine teachers nowadays.

It is just that people have more occupational choices nowadays. We would have to pay teachers huge salaries make the trade salary-competitive to other high-pay-interesting work. To attract the same caliber of teachers as back then. On the other hand we probably can't afford to pay that much money. And we would have to pay the extra money for maybe a decade before substantial numbers of highly-qualified folk would enter the field. It is a problem.

The other interesting thing about that, is that there were a whole lot of really smart folk working rather mundane jobs back then, because there wasn't much else to do. Some of the tradesmen back then might be college perfessors nowadays.

I find your take on teachers intriguing. I think it is a pretty good gig to be honest, lots of time off. But other people value money more over free time. So it made me think and it turns out the three best teachers I know don't teach school anymore. They all did at one time but they wanted more money so they took their talents to the sales world. They make a ton more money but work a lot more. Their choice I suppose. I think you are right on, if you're ambitious and talented you're going to want more and sticking with the teaching profession isn't going to be appealing. Where is the rockstar teacher who makes a million bucks a year? Work really hard, play the internal politics and you end up as what? A principal? That is a tougher gig than I realized now that you made me think about it. (-10 for making me think:) )

Side note: My grandfather worked at hormel, for a jillion years, cutting up dead cows and pigs. He never complained that I recall but I am sure it was mundane work. But all the repetition paid of in unexpected ways. If we had thanksgiving dinner at our house Grandpa would leave the bird clean after he got done carving. I mean really clean. He could also sharpen a knife with a freaking rock he found outside faster and sharper than you could imagine.

In the seventies we had on of those combo can opener knife sharpener deals. When Grandpa visited it got oddly broken. So a year or two later Dad decides to play a joke on Granpa. Right before he comes over he runs out and had al the knives professionally sharpened. Grandpa looks at the knives and says "Dang Steve, you've improved a lot! I won't have to work on these near as much!" And then sharpened all the knives, so I am told, to a much finer edge. (I was a kid and my family worked under the assumption a really sharp knife was a more dangerous knife so it was a no touch deal).

I once asked him why he hunted and he told it to me like this "Smallish retard grandson (cause for some reason that is what my parents named me) what you have to understand is that if we buy meat from the store I have to pay the store, my company and myself to eat that. If I shot a deer I only have to pay a nickel for the shell." I think I was six and imagined he shot the deer with actual shells from the beach but even then it made a lot of sense.

Ah, sorry for the terrible tangent. I don't find the notion of working with your hands as repellant as a lot of people do nowadays. Work is honorable whether you use your hands or if you just sit in a chair.