New Henry Rifle

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one that I love shooting. I put an older weaver 7/8" scope on mine, but it was more fun with the iron sights. I did upgrade to the metal front sight and barrel band when I first bought mine. I ordered them from Henry for not much money. Mine shoots the Winchester 333's pretty good.

Guest Aces&8s

I bought a Henry Golden Boy last year from Tri-Cities Gun Depot, and love it. It has to have the smoothest action I have ever seen on a lever-gun. A great little rifle, made by a great American company.

I have just about decided that a basic model .22LR Henry lever gun will be one of my next firearm purchases if not the very next one. I have my dad's old Glenfield 30-30 lever and have always loved shooting it, maybe more than any other rifle of any other action type I own, but don't 'love' the price of 30-30 ammo for just shooting paper. A .22LR lever action would be a lot cheaper to shoot and I am betting it would be just about as much fun.

Did you get a good deal at Dicks? I happen to have a good sized gift card but I hate to go in there, seems like I stand around at the lodge for 20 minutes and get some snippy college kid instead of any actual service.

Also I can't look anything up online as to firearms, I may have to make the trip to a store sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my H001, well, atleast it used to be mine. Now I only get to shoot it when my daughter isn't with me. That's ok, cause she is a helluva shot with it. She busted this squirrel right in the ear at 30 yards last weekend. I put an old Weaver D4 7/8" scope on mine and it fits the little Henry perfectly. It's not the brightest optics or the best field of view, but the crosshairs are super thin and it works great at squirrel hunting ranges. Mine will shoot one ragged hole groups at 25 yards all day long with Winchester 333 bulk ammo.

Before I decided to scope it, I upgraded the iron sights. I replaced the rear buckhorn with a Williams sight and a U notch blade. The U notch blade fit the upgraded "metal" front white dot sight well. It was fun to shoot, but I wanted to hunt with it and I need a scope for hunting.

photo6.jpg

Here is some more info and pics

DSCF0960.jpg

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0956.jpg

DSCF0920.jpg

After trying the Williams Fool Proof on my H001 and finding that the factory sight was too short and that there was no easy solution to replacing it I starting looking for other options. I wanted something that did not require any drilling, tapping or machining. I ended up going with a Williams WDOS dovetail base to replace the factory rear buckhorn sight. The base comes without a sight blade so that you can choose the blade to suite you best.

Williams has blades in various notch configurations. I went with the 3/16†“U†notch to mate with the white dot front sight. The factory white dot front sight is the metal replacement from Henry ($10.00) and, to me, is better than the supplied plastic sight.

There is a 3/16 “U†notch that goes with the WDOS base, but when I ordered this from midway I actually got a 3/16†“U†notch blade and base to fit a Williams WGOS which is a little different but I just removed the base and used the blade.

If you are using the factory plastic sight you may want to order the square notch blade. There are also ghost ring and fiber optic options.

In either case I recommend the 3/16†height unless you have your factory sights elevated very high to get zeroed. I am using the 3/16†blade and have the base nearly bottomed out. It is nice to me because it that way the sight is as low to the gun as possible and less likely to snag on things.

Edited by whiskey