locking in vehicle...

Guest tcampbell

Guest tcampbell

Suppose I need to go into somewhere where I cannot carry...ie restaurant that serves alcohol. Provided my pistol is locked up in my SUV..out of sight, and the gun itself is also securely locked with either a cable or trigger lock, can I carry the loaded magazine or just the ammo itself into the establishment with me ? If I have to leave my gun in my car, I would prefer not to leave the ammo in the car. Granted, the ammo would be kept out of sight. On top of that...I would not conceal the gun in the car in the parking lot of the establishment...I would do it elsewhere as so that no one could see me lock it up in my vehicle in the parking lot of the establishment, even though that is inconvienient, but not as obvious. I hope I explained what I am trying to ask in the proper manner. Thanks in advance for any replies. I know it is not best to leave your gun in your vehicle, but sometimes there may be instances when you have no choice. :D

If this question has been posted before, I apologize...I'm still new to the forum and still trying to read through everything.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there are laws prohibiting carrying ammunition in places you cannot carry a hand gun, except perhaps on an airliner, so I think this would be ok.

Not a bad idea, to me-- I'll be interested in what some of the more experienced and legally astute TGO members have to say about this.

Guest SomeGuy

I see no problems, unless someone saw it, and the cop wanted to use his badge to abuse you. The law prohibits firearms. Technically, you could strip the gun, and carry all the parts except the receiver in.

the rare times I need to leave a gun behind in my truck I use a heavy cable lock and put it through the frame of the gun and then around the back seat frame. No way it is coming out unless a person breaking in has a bolt cutter with them. I am not too worried about vehicle theft on my near ten year old truck. way too many nice new trucks around here for the picking.

These look like good car-safes.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Can mix and match sizes and get up to 4 keyed the same.

I bought 4 of them keyed alike, they are a pin to get open quickly, the cable is also a pain but that's just me.

That's what I do....unless they have a metal detector.....I'd rather take my chances and carry anyway. Bad guys don't obey the signs.
:rolleyes:

I do not and will not suggest carrying in a place that is illegal, however I am with you on wanting to keep my gun out of a criminals hands and the only way I can see to this is to keep it with me.:popcorn:

I don't see anything in the code prohibiting ammunition in places that serve alcohol, just firearms. Heck if you have one of those baton certificates, you can carry that silly thing about anywhere you want, or up to a 4 inch knife.

Guest tcampbell
when i lived in new jersey they didnt use a gun , they just inserted the bullets manually.

tough crowd.

I like the looks of the safes from http://www.center-of-mass.com/

I'm going to guns and leather tomorrow to do some target shooting so I am going to see if they have anything similiar...if they don't carry anything like that, I am going to order one. I may still carry my ammo in with me...I probably won't insert the bullets manually....I was just thinking of spitting them out real hard at the BG.....after all...I can catch a speeding bullet between my teeth!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Thanks for all the replies...I have a couple more questions and will be making some more posts. Hopefully I will be able to start answering questions as I become more informed like y'all are. This is a great site and I appreciate it very much :D

Guest CrazyLincoln

All you gotta do is take out the barrel. Then you bring it in with the ammo. Also make sure you have a fine pen with you. If there is a BG. You cram a round in the barrel and jab the primer. Sure, you might lose a hand, but better than your life. :D

(I am joking of course)

So, if you drop the mag, field strip it down, you have the frame in the holster, the slide in a pocket, the mag in a mag holder, you really don't have a handgun on you......right?

Hey a resturant has alcohol like everclear, all you need is a match or lighter and a mouthfull and then you have a flame thrower......right..

j/k by the way.

Edited by db99wj
What does the TN law say for keeping a gun in your car while in a gun free zone?

Locked in the Glove box or something along those lines?

Besides places posted under 39-17-1359 there are only 4 statutorly off-limit places. A school or park, it is ok to have it in your vehicle. Places that serve alcohol for onsite consumption and rooms were judical proceedings are taken place by nature of the law only forbids carry inside the building or room.

Now while I know some are going to disagree with me, techinaclly a property owner can forbid you from even having it in your car on their property if the post a proper sign according to T.C.A. 39-17-1359 at the entrance to the parking lot etc... But not sure how many are going to actually search your car?

Guest canynracer
techinaclly a property owner can forbid you from even having it in your car on their property if the post a proper sign according to T.C.A. 39-17-1359 at the entrance to the parking lot etc...

this is correct..... UNLESS the resturaunt is on "shared" land, i.e. a grocery store, that is an anchor along with other businesses..then one resturaunt cannot control it....

so if you go to el porton, and they are a "free standing" resturaunt that is the only thing there, they can restrict it. but seriously, who is going to search it, and why would they?

Edited by canynracer
Guest Glockster27

I use the In-Car-Gun Safe from Center Of Mass when I HAVE to leave my weapon in the car. I do take the ammunition inside with me though along with my knife and Surefire flashlight. :D