Hi point pistols ultimate testing...yes Hi point

Guest Spurhunter

Guest Spurhunter

A friend of mine helped make these videos. They are pretty well done, and I have to say I gained a new respect for the guns after watching these. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!! :lol::screwy:

Vid #1

Vid #2

Vid #3

Vid #4

Edited by Spurhunter
spelling
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest raflomo

I have to say I am impressed with them myself.I have been itching to get a handgun and since I am not real experienced on them,I decided to get the 9mm to start out.After reading on most the forums about all the haters are gun dealers who want to push a high dollar gun or simply the people who don't own one.All the horror stories of them jamming and such maybe but they say it is caused by the ears on the mags.My first shooting ,I shot 100 rounds from 2 different ammos.I didn't have any jams plus it was fun to shoot.I am going to get the 40 or 45 next.I know these aren't much but it filled my needs(not for SD, BTW)and for a buck fitty out the door was a good thing too.

I own a HP 995 9mm carbine. Followed the suggested mag break-in period and mag lip adjustment. During the first 100 - 200 rounds, had a few FTFeed. Since then, it has been flawless. Accurate out to 50 yards, I haven't shot any longer distances with it. There was a guy on the HP forum who killed a deer at 80 yards with the 9mm.

I got it because I was looking for a plinker and picked it up cheaper than a Ruger 10/22, though the cost in ammo may eat that up quickly!

My neighbor down the hill has the C9 pistol with 400 flawless rounds through it right out of the box. I don't particularly like the trigger action, so I don't see buying one of their pistols, thought the .45acp carbine is on my radar.

I think the mentality of "if it's cheap in price, it is cheap quality" is mis-applied to this brand. A little break-in period of the gun and mags generally yields a reliable, surprising accurate, quality low-priced firearm.

I have one of the carbines, and it is fun as a plinker, but I would never use it for SD unless I had no other choice.

I've read too many bad reviews on HP pistols, so one positive one isn't going to change my mind. I'll keep buying quality, even if I have to wait longer to get it.

Guest Aces&8s

Thanks for posting the videos. I think Hi-Points have come a long way in terms of quality since they first started making them. I have owned the C9 and the JCP (.40 S&W), and still own the 995 carbine, and never had any real problems out of any of them. I have since traded the JCP away as I am trying to reduce the number of different calibers I have to buy ammo for, but I gave the C9 to my dad for home defense, and he shoots it at least once a week, and has never had any issues.

Inexpensive, reliable, unconditional lifetime warranty, and made in the USA... I'd say you could do a lot worse than getting a Hi-Point.

Guest jimdigriz

I had a Hi Point 9mm carbine. It worked great for a while, but suddenly it started feeding 3-4 rounds in every magazine nose up. I sent it back to the factory and they fixed it, but I was spooked about the gun's reliability and sold it off immediately. (One other bad point about it is that the tear down is ridiculously complicated).

If you're on a budget, a combloc surplus pistol or a cheap revolver would probably be a better buy.

I had a Hi Point 9mm carbine. It worked great for a while, but suddenly it started feeding 3-4 rounds in every magazine nose up....

Simple tweak of mag lips would have fixed that.

Mags are the weak link on all Hi-Points, and for some reason seem to fail on the carbines more than the pistols.

Btw, sounds like several comments without having watched the posted videos. Pretty impressive, actually TRYING to destroy the gun. Reminds me of those guys who destroy knives -- and the test they did on the $10 rough use knives that CTD and others sell. Darn things held up better than anything else they tested, as far as sheer durability.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Spurhunter

Btw, sounds like several comments without having watched the posted videos. Pretty impressive, actually TRYING to destroy the gun. Reminds me of those guys who destroy knives -- and the test they did on the $10 rough use knives that CTD and others sell. Darn things held up better than anything else they tested, as far as sheer durability.

- OS

Kinda what I was thinking....

Guest Spurhunter
I'd say it would be pretty difficult to destroy anything made out of pot metal. But just because it's hard to break doesn't make it reliable.

:):shrug:

So pot metal is stronger than steel now?

I'd say it would be pretty difficult to destroy anything made out of pot metal. But just because it's hard to break doesn't make it reliable.

Did you watch the videos? Was that gun "unreliable"?

I have heard a LOT of complaints about Hi Points... but reliability has never been one of those complaints.

My Hi-Point C9 is big, ugly, and heavy. It's hard to get a good grip on it when racking the slide. It only holds 8 rounds and has a terrible trigger pull.

On the other hand, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It's more accurate than is should be for the price. It's made in America and the warranty is great.

Unfortunately, I still wouldn't recommend it for anything other than plinking, b/c it won't go all the into battery after mag changes without a push.

Guest highvoltage

i have 2 995s and 2 c9 pistols and would have to say i would trust my life to one. i own colts /Springfield/ s&w/Beretta/ Taurus/ and the hi points have been just as reliable for me. but there just butt ugly and heavy. but when you pull the trigger they go bang every time at least mine have.

Me and a buddy, both of us retired Army combat arms of slightly different eras, got a hold of a used Hi-Point C9 several years ago. I bought several hundred rds of ammo and we had two magazines. We loaded that pistol as fast as we could and pulled the trigger faster. At the end of those 100s of rds with no MALFs we looked at each and laughed. Then my buddy got a 9mm carbine and we did essentially the same thing, but we had one problem. The screw that held the bolt handle came off and we spent considerable time searching through the grass for the handle. We miraculouosly found it and the screw, tightened it back on and went back to shooting with nary a bobble. I would recommend loc tite on that screw. Then a year or two ago I picked up a nice shape newer 995, with the newer stock and had a ball with it and some friends, with zero failures.

I recently purchased a Hi Point .45 carbine and have put about 200 rounds through it. Yesterday I carried it to the range to sight in a laser and red dot scope. The gun has had no issues. I wanted a .45 carbine to be compatable with my 1911s and it is filling the bill without breaking the bank. My takedown tool for it was lost and when I called Hi Point, I spoke with a very nice representative who said they would send me another at no charge. Their guns have a lifetime warranty, even if you are not the original owner. I don't get this kind of service and attitude with Smith, Kimber, Ruger or Springfield. After reading all the derogatory comments on this thread, it should be considered that those who own Hi Points are probably just as proud of their weapon as those who have custom built firearms.

Guest jimdigriz
Simple tweak of mag lips would have fixed that.

Mags are the weak link on all Hi-Points, and for some reason seem to fail on the carbines more than the pistols.

- OS

The mags should come from the factory in a reliable condition. But the problem was not mag related, or all four of them would not have failed at the same time. (And the sheet that came back from the factory indicated internal parts replacements and work).