Cowboy action shooting??

Never thought I’d be interested in it; but things change as you get older. :popcorn:

I don’t want to run around getting up and down off my knees, or roll around on the ground anymore. I need some shooting competition that is simply stand and deliver.

You guys don’t kneel or roll around on the ground do you? :popcorn:

So how about it? How many of you are involved in this? Where can I go see it around Murfreesboro?

It appears to me you are required to have two revolvers; is that correct? (Plus the rifle and shotgun of course.)

Are you required to wear period correct clothing, or is that just something people do?

I thought my gun collection was pretty good, but I don’t have any single action revolvers and no levers or shotguns anymore. So if I wanted to do this it would of course involve buying all new guns. :popcorn:

Tell us about what you have and post some pics. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the home page for the Single Action Shooting Society:

SASS-Home of Cowboy Action Shooting

The Wartrace Regulators are the closest club to you:

Clubs - Detail

You are also close enough to shoot with the Tennessee Mountain Marauders who shoot at Mystery Dog Ranch off of Exit 1 on I75 in Chattanooga; or the Ocoee Rangers who shoot at the Cleveland Hunting Rifle and Pistol Club.

All the rules and age/style categories are on the SASS site. There is next to no running crouching twisting or turning. We normally shoot five stages; each stage shoots 5 shots from each of 2 revolvers, 10 rounds rifle, and about 4 shotgun rounds. All are shot at steel targets. The stages are different each month. Clothing is cowboy from the 1880's. You should go to a match before you start buying guns, leather and clothing, it will save you money in the long run.

Each person selects a unique alias that reflects . . . . . something. Some are named for famous good guys or bad guys. Some from where they come from. I am "Cherokee Slim" because, I am Cherokee, and NOT slim.

It's a fun sport. We concentrate first on safety, then on the shooting. It's very family friendly, young and lady shooters are encouraged to participate. You usually wont hear language that might offend you, for sure you wont hear it around your kids or your wife.

If you just show up someone will help you with guns, ammo & leather so that you can shoot. Come & try it out, you wont be sorry.

Cherokee Slim

A good stand and deliver match is Steel Challenge. You can shoot rimfire division and the cost is extremely low. 150 rds minimum (6 stages) if you don't miss and believe me you will. It's fast paced but standing still.

DaG

The Wartrace group is a good place to shoot. They have a small western "town" built there as props to shoot from. I used to shoot there until I got out of SASS. It started out as just fun, but then the regulars got "too competitive". They were trying to shave off tenths of a second here and there with expensive gear and gunsmithing. There even started being some cheating on the scoring just to win.

Go and have fun, but try not to get caught up in the "competition".

Edited by Westwindmike
A good stand and deliver match is Steel Challenge. You can shoot rimfire division and the cost is extremely low. 150 rds minimum (6 stages) if you don't miss and believe me you will. It's fast paced but standing still.

DaG

+1

Get a Ruger Mark II or a Browning Buckmark and check out Steel Challenge. Rimfire Division is a blast. You don't even need a holster.