The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

Guest TnRebel

Guest TnRebel

With the recent AZ shooting there has already been the knee jerk reaction to call for stricter gun control. I got to wondering if the UK, with their strict controls, were any better at curbing violence than we were. A quick google and I found this :

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

Apparently the UK has a signifcantly higher number of violent crimes than the US.

Yes, it is difficult to make any assumption about the role of gun control in these statistics. However,it is clear to me that that stricter gun control in not the answer to violent crime in the US. I do believe the laws we have need to be enforced.

What do you think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keinengel

On top of the fact that half of the gun laws (along with many other kinds of laws) are pretty pointless and don't really help prevent anything regardless of weather or not they are enforced.

I think it shows that stats can be misleading.

Yah, Mediocre Britain and Australis both have surpassed the violent crime rate of the US, yet the murder rate in the US is still about 4x higher than it is in those countries.

Too bad you are in the minority. It is amazing to see how many middle of the road people are crying for strict gun control.

Where's the beef?

C'mon now. Show us where that is found. Gun control has just about always been given to us

from the elite. I don't think there is a period in our country's history where gun control has

ever been shown to be popular by we the people, at least in a real majority.

If you are referring to the latest fad by Carolyn McCarthy, she has a GC bill on the ready for any

media blitz to offer as popular.

More GC = harder for law abiding citizens to protect themselves not only from the BGs out there, but from tyrannical guv'mint.

Aren't there over 5000 federal, state and local GC laws on the books? Adding some more doesn't make anyone safer.

More importantly, adding "hard time for gun crime" probably makes us less safe. If the BG knows he is going away for life due to 3 strike , what does he care if he uses a gun? 1, 3 or 10 life sentences, it's all the same to him. I also believe the BG would just as soon kill you under the mis-guided thought process of "one less witness"

At the end of the day, it'll be the guv'mint and BGs with guns.

The problem I see is that there's just too many folks on the right who are not gun owners. They know nothing about them other than what they see in movies or in the media. These people are the problem. These are the people who will be easily swayed by the media. You will never win the idiots on the left. It's the "gun ignorant" (not insult intended here) on the right who we need to educate. 'Don't sow your seed on rocky ground.'