Lazy Man Gun Cleaning

graycrait

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering a lot of our salesmen are hunters, I am surprised that none of them have brought me a sample of gun cleaner or lubricant and asked me to copy it. I guess when I get bored one day, I will just take what I have at home and bring it to the lab and copy it. Making my own would certainly be a lot cheaper. You guys would be amazed at the upcharge on everyday household, automotive, etc... cleaners.

For years I have cleaned engine parts (and other things) in the dishwasher. Don't use the heat setting. Most importantly, don't do this when your wife is home! :screwy:

When done, I spray parts with brake clean, compressed air and oil, that is for engine parts. I'm sure same could be done for a gun part.

There's a pretty extensive post out there where the guy finally came up with 1/2 each vinegar and water solution... Worked better than anything for getting the crud off of spent cartridges. May not work as well on steel, but seems to work good on brass.

UltraSonic Case Cleaning

Be careful with vinegar around blued guns.... it WILL eat off bluing if it sits on the gun long enough

Guest friesepferd

Note from a metallugist:

Ultrasonic cleaning itself will not hurt polymer frames. The solution you use might, depending on what you use. If you pick on that is polymer-friendly you should be okay. Sample thing applies from what this cleaning method will get rid of (lube,copper,etc). It will depend mostly on what cleaning solution you use.

I use ultrasonic cleaning at work all the time and it can be very effective. I don't use one for my guns for a few reasons:

1) I enjoy cleaning my guns

2) I love the smell of hoppes

3) I enjoy cleaning my guns

I would consider using one every once in a while for a good deep clean, but yes most likely you are going to have to relube the internals after if thats what you are using it for.

Also, It is very helpful in the cleaning process to stick it in for a while, then take it out, then stick back in. Also be sure to change out your cleaning media often. A lot of the nastyness will stay suspended in the liquid.