.45-70 Loads

I have decided to start loading .45-70 since paying $1.50-$2.00/round just doesn't cut it.

Will be loading for a Marlin 1895 with 22" Micro-groove barrel.

I have ordered some bullets...405 gr cast (.459 diameter) and 405 gr soft-point jacketed. I know lead can be used in the micro-groove barrel no no ill-effects if loaded correctly. Have not picked up any powder yet.

So what are some suggesting for average plinking/range loads? Not planning on doing any hunting, I just like to shoot big, huge cartridges. :)

What would some good load/powder combinations be to 1) prevent excessive fouling using the lead bullets, and 2) use the same powder for both lead and jacketed bullets?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using varget with the 405's works great. Best thumper load I have is a max load of RL7 and a 350grn HRN, that is just brutal, but very accurate. A moderate loaded 405 grn lead or jacketed bullet can probably shoot through a cow from end to end.

I load for the 45-70. My favorite bullet is the Lee 340gr flat point. I use Accurate 5744 as my primary powder. With 25.0gr of 5744, it pushes the 340 out the muzzle at a measured 1200fps. Very mild and accurate. Would even be adequate for deer at shorter range(less than 100 yards).

With jacketed bullets RL7 seems to be a very popular powder. I have used 3031 and 4198 also with great success. For reduced loads with jacketed bullets I use IMR SR4759. For lead bullet loads you can use most medium to slow pistol powders. Many perform best with a dacron filler and I hate fooling with filler. Mike Venterino has switched to Accurate 5744 for all his black powder rifle cartridge loads. I just bought a 8 lb jug I like it so much. With my 405 grain gas checked bullets, actual weight is 425 with grease and check, I get consistent 1.5" or smaller 100 yard groups using 28 grains for 1300fps. I can bump that up to 32 to 34 grains but I rarely do that. If I want high velocity I switch to 3031 with the lead. The thing that makes 5744 so good is it ignites very easily with no filler, is bulky so it fills the case better than pistol powders and it is not position or temperature sensitive. One other powder I am playing with is Trail Boss. It is super bulky and is meant for cowboy action shooters. You can make some real powder puff loads with this stuff. I really don't have much use for it.

Edit: I use a gas check bullet that I cast. But I also cast and buy plain base bullets. I have found the 28 grain 5744 load also works just fine with the Lasercast bevel based bullets or the Lee plain based 405's and 340's. You really don't need a gas check at 1300 fps if the alloy is decent.

Edited by glockster157
Guest Jeffster

I've been working out loads with 3031 and thus far seems to be doing good with 405 cast boolits. Now I have been shooting the 450 Marlin but most often use 45/70 data as not much out there for 450. Lots of ol time 45/70 fans tell me 3031 was a stand by favorite for them. Just my 2 pennies worth on that.

We just started loading for the 45-70 so that we can shoot the buffalo side matches. We're using the 405 gn lead bullet and 12.3 grains of Trail Boss. Rifle is a Tri Star Sharps. The load should be hefty, but within SASS rules. Tomorrow, Saturday, we'll shoot it for the first time at 100 and 200 yard steel buffalos at the Ocoee Rangers shoot at Cleveland. We'll also shoot the long range pistol caliber match with e .45 lc Taurus Thunderbolt. Any day I can shoot with my grandsons, (new cowboys) is a good day.

Cherokee Slim

There were some guys with a sharps rifle shooting trail boss behind 405s at CRC a while back. They were doing real well at 100 with front/rear aperture sights...cloverleafs actually. Real pleasant to shoot in those heavy guns. They like trail boss because it has a lot of volume relative to its weight...gave them a lot more peace of mind than with Unique...