Opinions on camo...what say you ?

Guest Appalachian

Guest Appalachian

Love me some camo and always have, even as a kid I wore camo, every year the manufactures come out with the next big thing and honestly some are very convincing and realistic.

On the otherhand I've seen guys that kill game day in and day out wear'n blue jeans a T shirt maybe a camo cap, I honestly think the camo is made to fool to the human eye more than the game because game dont have cash to spend, no doubt it can help break up our outline but I think the old woodland camo mite be just as good as the rest.

So...what say you?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the point of having this really expensive, fancy camo outfit and then wearing a neon orange vest over the top of it. I know the animals don't see the orange, but it just seems totally illogical. I think camo is far more about smell, wind direction, sound, and movement than the latest pattern du jour.

Guest Jcochran88
Hello everyone my name is GunTroll and I am a camo nerd.

I am right there with you!

I would say it depends on the game that you are chasing, ie turkeys camo for the most part is a given.

I really like camo. I buy more every year. For me, I don't think it's as important for deer hunting, especially rifle hunting. But I love to bow hunt and I love to turkey hunt. Camo does play a role in both of those. I drew on a big old doe one day and she looked straight up the tree at me. If I had not been wearing my ASAT 3-D leafy suit, I believe she would not have looked back down and picked up another acorn. She couldn't see me 10 yards away.

I like Realtree APG as far as popular patterns go. I like the ASAT leafy suit for really hiding from deer, turkey or coyotes. I have heavy fleece bibs and coat in Natural Gear camo because I think it is a good neutral color for late season when I would be wearing very warm clothes. I think the old 3 color desert camo works the best for my eyes in the winter around here. My uncle used to wear it and I could never see him in the woods. For me, I like lighter camo patterns better than darker patterns. I think the darker ones blob up in certain conditions.

More than the fact that it hide me in the woods, I want other's to know I am a hunter. I want to show I am in the brotherhood.

Also, I am religious about NOT wearing cotton in the woods. I spend the extra money to have good wicking base layers, wicking and breathable and fast drying mid and outer layers. I have extra light, fast drying outer layers for warm weather. I have light, mid weight and arctic weight mid layers so I can layer up and best suit the temperature. I have mid and heavy weight water-proof, breathable outer layers. Gore-Tex and micro-fleece offer hunters light weight, packable warmth. If I am going to spend the cash to have good clothing, then I am going to buy it in some camo pattern. Maybe it's just that the advertising has me brainwashed, but I like it.

I've never understood the point of having this really expensive, fancy camo outfit and then wearing a neon orange vest over the top of it. I know the animals don't see the orange, but it just seems totally illogical. I think camo is far more about smell, wind direction, sound, and movement than the latest pattern du jour.

They don't see the orange? Please explain - and understand I'm not trying to be an Internet dick, just curious how that works.

Guest Jcochran88
They don't see the orange? Please explain - and understand I'm not trying to be an Internet dick, just curious how that works.

Deer are color blind.

Guest clownsdd

my camo consists of whatever is on sale when my other's wear out. it's what's underneath that I spend my money on to keep warm. Anything that brakes up the outline and blends with the background seems to work for me.

Guest Appalachian

I'll have to say I'm like'n some of the newer patterns but the old woodland camo works for most of my hunt'n turf, but like someone said a pattern can seem to turn into a blob of color, wundered about that myself, so sometimes I wear a mix of match camo, mostly my old camo overalls with a long sleeve Tshirt and my trusty old boonie hat, aint exactly fashion contious but it works for me.

Guest tnrider

Personal experience for me has como not needed for deer. Hunt mostly in brown and other dark colors. Still hunt. Plenty venison on the table. Tree rats spot me even in camo.

My camo consist of carhartt coveralls or what ever walmart has on sell after hunting season, during bow season I do wear all camo but during

and muzzleloader mainly carhartts

Guest GunTroll

Like my other post eluded....I have a problem. Whiskey.....your my hero!

I'll tell you how far I have gone. I recently moved here to TN from CO/WY. I had just completed my western pattern "wardrobe collection" as my wife calls it, and then I moved here. Now I'm stocking up on a more eastern/southern camo pattern. Its a vicious cycle! In fact for Christmas I got a winter/snow outfit and used it just today for yotes/cats.

Guest GunTroll

Scent is huge. Most products available (scent clothing) is camo except the base layer stuff. Beyond scent I would say the number one factor for success is just being there. Being there in the woods. Being there in the woods at the right place at the right time. I will stand by camo for when you want your prey to come to you...IE turkeys,coyotes,etc.