carrying outside of the u.s.

Was wondering if anybody has carried outside the u.s.? I know that our carry permit wouldn't be valid but has anybody still carried? The reason I ask is my wife and I will be traveling to ole mexico in june and the thought has definately crossed my mind!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cannot even possess an empty shell casing in Mexico.

I would think there is a provision for people who go there to hunt game, but handguns oh no.

If you feel you have to have a handgun to go there you better rethink the trip. You may well end up in some prison for a very long time.

you cannot even possess an empty shell casing in Mexico.

I would think there is a provision for people who go there to hunt game, but handguns oh no.

If you feel you have to have a handgun to go there you better rethink the trip. You may well end up in some prison for a very long time.

Yea,

See you in about 30 to 40 years.Only criminals are allowed firearms in Mexico.

The US Department of State warns US citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally.[4]

Gun politics in Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

What they said. I remember a story about a guy a few years back that took the gun into Mexico with him by accident and then decided to declare it when returning to the US. He was promptly arrested and taken to a Mexican prison.

Was wondering if anybody has carried outside the u.s.? I know that our carry permit wouldn't be valid but has anybody still carried? The reason I ask is my wife and I will be traveling to ole mexico in june and the thought has definately crossed my mind!

If you don't mind risking a long stay in a Mexican prison, go right ahead. They have no sense of humor about that stuff at all down there, from every report I've ever gotten from people who visit regularly.

Don't take anything into Mexico. But if you are there you can get permission to take guns back & forth hunting & to the range/club.

Other countries - Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador & Peru if you have a resident visa the license to carry comes with the permission to buy. Not sure about other LA countries but I have had licenses/permits in these countries.

Cherokee Slim

With all of the cartel activity and just blatant unfriendliness towards US border security on the part of the Mexican government, I can't see why ANY American citizen would want to go to Mexico.

Yea I like having my head attached to my body too much to go wandering around Ole Mexico these days.

With all of the cartel activity and just blatant unfriendliness towards US border security on the part of the Mexican government, I can't see why ANY American citizen would want to go to Mexico.

The "Mayan Riviera" (Cancun / Playa del Carmen / Cozumel) used to be very safe and protected, but the gangs are even starting to get active down there now. It's a shame, as Cozumel has some of the best SCUBA diving in the world. I regret that I may never get to go back, but as others have said, I'm quite fond of my head remaining in its current location.

I drove to central Mexico last year to visit my wife's family... Won't do that again.

We were ok once we got about 100 miles south of the border, but I was really nervous about the crossings. My father in law is a retired Federale (Cop), so we can avoid trouble in their small town. Also - I can blend in enough to not be noticed as a gringo, so we stay under the radar. It's too bad, because we drove (quickly) through some of the prettiest places I've ever seen on the trip.

I REALLY missed having my gun along, but the previous posts are correct - even an empty shell casing can land you in jail, and they have dogs to search vehicles at checkpoints looking for drugs and weapons. I think they're set up as a 'for-profit' venture by the local Policia, who either take/sell the contraband or look for bribes to ignore it.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
Canada is not any more welcoming of firearms. I got searched at the Canadian border when they saw I had a badge in my wallet and they figured I'd try to slip my off-duty gun across with me. They don't play games.

It does appear you can get a permit though as a visitor to bring certain guns into Canada. As friendly as the US? No. Bad as Mexico? Doesnt appear to be.

Probably wouldn't be a good idea to try to get a gun across the Mexican border these days....

To hear the liberal press, you can get all the US guns you want just across the border in Mexico anyway; yep, they are :cool:

Seriously, I wouldn't risk taking a gun in either - but I wouldn't go to Mexico on an all expense paid trip, either - I did all the time in Mexico as a young man I plan to do for the rest of my life.

You can take guns to Mexico for shooting matches and hunting as a foreigner. It is not an easy process. That is about it if you want to follow their laws. The Mexicans don't take too kindly to gringos breaking their laws. If you've never been to Mexico and seen how people drive, you are in for a treat. I wouldn't even consider driving in that country and risk being at fault in a car accident as a foreigner. I'd feel safer riding with a drunk American than a sober Mexican cab driver on streets down there with other sober drivers. That's how bad they drive. Get in a wreck and you can almost bet La Policia will be trying to make you at fault for the accident.