I completed the HCP safety class this weekend. The Bradley Co. Sheriff's Office offers the class to Bradley Co. residents for only $5 (covers the range fee). The sheriff himself is one of the instructors. The classroom portion is on Friday night at the Bradley Co. Justice Center with the shooting portion on Saturday at the Cleveland Rifle Club. All in all... I have to say it was a good experience!

Edited by volfanatic72
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was impressed too. The last line of the video shown in class stated "it is privilege, not a right, to carry a gun in TN." The sheriff stood up and said "Obviously, he hasn't read the 2nd Amendment. It is most definitely your right to carry a weapon in the State of TN." He also said they were the only free class that they knew of in the state.

Congradulations! Welcome to the club. It is a lifestyle change, or it was for me. It took me a couple of years to get comfortable with carrying concealed and I am still learning new things about carrying and self defense. TGO is a great place to learn, although you have to be able to take the wheat from the chaff.

... The last line of the video shown in class stated "it is privilege, not a right, to carry a gun in TN." The sheriff stood up and said "Obviously, he hasn't read the 2nd Amendment. It is most definitely your right to carry a weapon in the State of TN."...

I don't know of any other rights that are against the law and require paying a fee to exercise as an exception to that law.

Just like driving, carrying a handgun in TN is a privilege.

The difference between a year in jail or not is $115 and up.

- OS

The sheriff stood up and said "Obviously, he hasn't read the 2nd Amendment. It is most definitely your right to carry a weapon in the State of TN."

Wow… It’s good to know you don’t need an HCP to carry in your county. That or it’s sad your Sherriff is a dumb azz.

It is great that he does this class for $5 though.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I think the Sheriff was disagreeing with the constitutionality of the current state gun laws not with the actual legality of carrying without a permit. Way to be overdramatic though Dave :) lol

I think the Sheriff was disagreeing with the constitutionality of the current state gun laws not with the actual legality of carrying without a permit. Way to be overdramatic though Dave :) lol

Okay, I wasn’t there I was just going by what was posted. Thanks for clearing that up. :eek:

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

At least that is how it appears to me. I pray to God the Sheriff wasnt telling people to break the law. However it was likely how my instructor (Terry Walden who was a local cop for years) put it...It should be a right but under current law it is a privilege.

I was impressed too. The last line of the video shown in class stated "it is privilege, not a right, to carry a gun in TN." The sheriff stood up and said "Obviously, he hasn't read the 2nd Amendment. It is most definitely your right to carry a weapon in the State of TN." He also said they were the only free class that they knew of in the state.

thereis no right to carry in TN. you are paying for that priviledge. Other than that congrats on passing

Of course Stevie Wonder could most likely pass a carry class in TN (not to take away from your accomplishments.)

Took my class from the KCSO. Best indoor range in TN. cost me quite a bit more than 5 bucks.

Carry all the time once your plastic arrives.

PS: pray to whoever you want to, nobody is home.

Guest Caveman
thereis no right to carry in TN. you are paying for that priviledge. Other than that congrats on passing

Of course Stevie Wonder could most likely pass a carry class in TN (not to take away from your accomplishments.)

Took my class from the KCSO. Best indoor range in TN. cost me quite a bit more than 5 bucks.

Carry all the time once your plastic arrives.

PS: pray to whoever you want to, nobody is home.

+1 :cheers:

Guest tnxdshooter
Wow… It’s good to know you don’t need an HCP to carry in your county. That or it’s sad your Sherriff is a dumb azz.

It is great that he does this class for $5 though.

From everything I have heard and read in the papers about the bradley county sherriff and the department over there I would say it is safe to say he is a dumb azz.

I think the Sheriff was disagreeing with the constitutionality of the current state gun laws not with the actual legality of carrying without a permit. Way to be overdramatic though Dave :D lol

You know all it takes is the County Sheriff and the local DA to agree they will not charge otherwise law abiding citizens with carrying without a permit, to cause a defacto change in what they view as an unconstitutional law.

Frankly, if the Sheriff announced he would not arrest otherwise law abiding citizens, and if they were charged would testify on their behalf that the law is unconstitutional... No DA in their right mind would bother charging anybody...

Sheriff's have the power to put a stop to unconstitutional laws.... that is why every CLEO in TN *should* be an elected position. Something I've been pestering my State Senator about for 2 years now.

Edited by JayC
You know all it takes is the County Sheriff and the local DA to agree they will not charge otherwise law abiding citizens with carrying without a permit, to cause a defacto change in what they view as an unconstitutional law.

Frankly, if the Sheriff announced he would not arrest otherwise law abiding citizens, and if they were charged would testify on their behalf that the law is unconstitutional... No DA in their right mind would bother charging anybody...

It’s a dangerous game that can hurt the citizens. They just did that in Wisconsin (or somewhere). The CLEO and the DA can say whatever they like; but they don’t make laws. If there is a city PD involved they may not play along and people get arrested. The law needs to be changed for the state.

Sheriff's have the power to put a stop to unconstitutional laws.... that is why every CLEO in TN *should* be an elected position. Something I've been pestering my State Senator about for 2 years now.

Other than Metro Davidson where is there a CLEO (Sheriff) that is not elected?

The Bradley Co. Sheriff's Office offers the class to Bradley Co. residents for only $5 (covers the range fee). The sheriff himself is one of the instructors.

Two words: PUBLIC SERVICE. This particular piece of public service is something I wish every county would offer.