Draco Pistol Legalities

Guest Korey5640

It would not be a pistol. You cannot make a pistol out of a rifle. Once something is a rifle, it will always be a rifle....

Apparently this doesn't apply to other guns that started life as pistols, that can have accessory rifle kits like the Beretta NEOS or MechTech Glock rifle kits, since they are freely sold without any kind of stamp being necessary, so don't see why you couldn't add a long barrel and stock to the Draco to convert to rifle...AND remove them to convert back to a pistol?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently this doesn't apply to other guns that started life as pistols, that can have accessory rifle kits like the Beretta NEOS or MechTech Glock rifle kits, since they are freely sold without any kind of stamp being necessary, so don't see why you couldn't add a long barrel and stock to the Draco to convert to rifle...AND remove them to convert back to a pistol?

You can freely buy stuff like the MechTech kits because there are no legal concerns about converting a pistol to a rifle. The problem with kits like the MechTech is that once you install it on your Glock, you have now made your Glock a rifle (shoulder stock and 16' barrel). After you have made it a rifle, converting it back to anything with barrel less than 16" (or an OAL less than 26") would make it a SBR.

I have heard from people who have asked MechTech about the legality of returning their 1911s or Glocks back to their original pistol configuration, after installing the MechTech kits. MechTech never really answers the question. They know the answer, but don't want to tell anybody, because then nobody would buy their product.

I have heard from people who have asked MechTech about the legality of returning their 1911s or Glocks back to their original pistol configuration, after installing the MechTech kits. MechTech never really answers the question. They know the answer, but don't want to tell anybody, because then nobody would buy their product.

Yeah, well, I dunno...was reading Beretta forums somewhere and guy shows a letter from BATF re the NEOS rifle conversion kits, and seems that as long as you never have the stock and short barrel on at same time, it's okay to go back and forth, since none of the modifications are permanent?

Like you have pistol. Add 16" barrel, then add stock. Remove stock, then remove long barrel. Just don't put short barrel back on before removing stock.

No?

- OS

Like you have pistol. Add 16" barrel, then add stock. Remove stock, then remove long barrel. Just don't put short barrel back on before removing stock.

No?

I have always heard that once you add the stock, you have a rifle, and there was no going back to a pistol from that. Hell, I don't know. ATF keeps everything so convoluted, it is a wonder anybody can figure anything out.

I have always heard that once you add the stock, you have a rifle, and there was no going back to a pistol from that. Hell, I don't know. ATF keeps everything so convoluted, it is a wonder anybody can figure anything out.

Well, I don't either, and it's probably good I don't really have an interest in acquiring anything in the iffy categories anyway. Just always curious about stuff.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils
Not to get too sidetracked but I have heard adding a vertical foregrip to a pistol makes it an AOW. Is that true?

Here is what wikipedia has to say about it, for whatever that may be worth--

Vertical forward grip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A vertical forward grip is a vertical grip that is designed to attach to a firearm for the forward hand (or "off hand"). These aid in the maneuverability of the firearm, since the natural angle of a persons outstretched hand is more oriented to grasping objects at a vertical angle, rather than a horizontal one perpendicular to the body.

Legality on pistols in the United States

The legality of vertical fore grips on pistols in the United States is unclear. In the United States, firearms are categorized by the National Firearms Act and firearms manufactured with specific features are subject to restrictions and controls. In the case of a vertical forward grip on a pistol, the law does not explicitly define such a feature as belonging to any category.

In May 1993, in response to legal action brought by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), the South Carolina District Court's finding of fact concluded that a pistol modified with the addition of vertical fore grips was still a pistol and not an any other weapon device. Following this, the ATF dropped their charges and the case was not tried; as such no precedent was set.

In an open letter sent to Federal Firearms Licensees in April 2006, the ATF stated their interpretation of the law; that installing a vertical forward grip on a handgun is the same as manufacturing an Any Other Weapon (AOW) category firearm and subject to registration and taxation, with significant penalties for manufacturing or possessing such an unregistered weapon.

So a project for a person who enjoys taunting bulls (not me fer sure)-- Buy a vertical forward grip from Cheaper Than Dirt, and attach to the side rail of a pistol so that the pistol now has a horizontal forward grip extending at a right angle from the SIDE of the pistol! Hey, it ain't a forward vertical grip!

Sounds like a perfect project for kwik!

Edited by Lester Weevils