My Mini 14 review.

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

From the get go, I must admit, I am not or have ever been, a member the military or law enforcement. I have not played one on TV, or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That said and out of the way, firearms have been a passion of mine for some time.

The Mini 14 was a carbine that I thought looked great, but I was scared away from due to the many horror stories of inaccuracy, and the lack of factory standard capacity magazines. (Or the price there of.) I was, and for the most part still am, an Ar-15 proponent, but the little Mini 14 has won a place in my safe.

A couple of things caused me to get off the fence and pick up a Mini. The first being the better accuracy of the new 580 series guns, and second, Ruger now sells standard capacity mags. Another factor was that I wanted something different from the AR. I liked the fact that there was very little offset on the sights, and I think that may be helpful in a home defense situation. With all the negatives I’ve heard about the Mini, the one positive feature that stuck out to me was reliability and mine has been no exception.

So far I’ve ran about 150 rounds of M193 brass cased fmj rounds through it and around 400 rounds cheap, steel cased ,Wolf ammo. Accuracy has been acceptable with most of my bench rested groups being in 3 inch range at 100 yards with the M193. My groups were shot with the open sights, I would expect better results with optics on the rifle. I have had no failures with my Mini, and mine came with two cheap Promags. (Factory mags are on their way. )

The Little Mini is light and handles well for a carbine. I don’t consider it a Mini 14, but it is more akin to a M1 Carbine in .223. I enjoy walking in the woods on my property and the Stainless Mini has been the rifle of choice for my little hikes around the house. I appreciate that fact that it looks more like a hunting rifle, and not an Evil Black Rifle (EBR for short). The plastic stock and stainless construction allows me not to worry about finish wear on the gun.

After shooting the Mini for some time now, the only upgrades I plan to do to it are minimal. I am considering adding a front night sight, and getting a better sling. I think I will pass on optics for this gun in the interest of keeping it light and simple. As soon as Ruger factory mags come in, and they prove reliable, this may be “my go to†home defense carbine.

IMG_4285.jpg

To sum it up.

The Good:

Acceptable accuracy, reliability, handy size and weight, easy to use, good value.

The Bad:

Mags cost more than an AR mag, not quite as accurate as an AR, fewer accessories than an AR, harder to mount optics.

Hope this helps anyone considering a Mini.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good review,I have had a Mini for many years,started out with the 180 series and at present own a 580 series.They have always been reliable and not that inaccurate,good enough for what they are meant for.My series 580 is a quite accurate at 100 yards and keeping it at a 2 inch group.I am keeping mine.

Good review,I have had a Mini for many years,started out with the 180 series and at present own a 580 series.They have always been reliable and not that inaccurate,good enough for what they are meant for.My series 580 is a quite accurate at 100 yards and keeping it at a 2 inch group.I am keeping mine.

My mini shoots closer to 1 1/2" with an accu-strut and crappy ammo. I'm gonna run some good stuff thru it when I get a chance and see what it really does.

After reading all the bashing of them, i just had to try one fo myself. Mine is much more accurate than I had anticipated. 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with any ammo I've tried. I didn't expect a benchrest competition rifle. It fires every time I pull the trigger. The only down side I've found so far is that I feel it needs some trigger work. I'll probably send the trigger off at some point to have it improved. Short of that, I think it's great for what it is.

After reading all the bashing of them, i just had to try one fo myself. Mine is much more accurate than I had anticipated. 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with any ammo I've tried. I didn't expect a benchrest competition rifle. It fires every time I pull the trigger. The only down side I've found so far is that I feel it needs some trigger work. I'll probably send the trigger off at some point to have it improved. Short of that, I think it's great for what it is.

Gun Doc did my trigger. Good guy...

Accurizing the Mini14 - Great West Gunsmithing

Xring:__________________

Thanks for the great report. I think ya spoke the greatest truth that could be spoken RE: the mini 14 right here:

...The Little Mini is light and handles well for a carbine. I don’t consider it a Mini 14, but it is more akin to a M1 Carbine in .223. ...

I think that this is exactly what a mini is and it is exactly what Bill Ruger intended it to be. I'd love to have one. I need a 7.62 x 39 (...if they still make 'em...).

Thanks for posting this neat review!!

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Guest mustangdave

Good review...I agree with all you said. I own the EBR variant(see avatar)...and I have it scoped with a Barska 4X20...simple light weight...rugged and reliable...it'll eat just about any ammo you feed it to...I have 20 and 30 round Ruger mags for it...don't want the "cheap mags"...according to Ruger you can have "issues" with rounds feeding using the cheapo mags...if you order the mags directly from Ruger its less expensive than going to your local gun shop...thats been my experience

Didn't know about this different "series" thing... I see mine's a 185... anything I should know?

The 185 was before any of the accuracy improvements.

I think the main thing was a thicker barrel profile. Ruger did a redesign to enhance accuracy with the later 580 series. At some point in the gun's history, they changed the ejection angle and added scope rings. They have also used various rifling twist rates over the years. There's a lot of stuff out there on the various changes since the rifle was introduced. I just can't seem to put my finger on it right now.

If you ever want to tighten the accuracy on the 185, a barrel strut is a cheap upgrade. Here are some group pics. The first is the 580 thin barrel. I have the newer tapered barrel. So does Oshoot.

Accu-strut for Mini-14

Accu-strut for Mini-14

You can get the revised, lawyered up book here. It's pre- ranch rifle, so if you wanna mount a scope, you'll have to find an older style mount. I THINK it was also built before they changed the ejection angle, so the brass may try to hit the scope on the way out. I also think some of the older mounts may address it by shielding the bottom of the scope.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/mini14-181-186.pdf

.....if you order the mags directly from Ruger its less expensive than going to your local gun shop...thats been my experience

Good lord, no! Ruger is generally the most expensive place you can buy them.

CDNN always has the 20 rounders for about $25 and the 30 rounders for around $30.

Couple other places even cheaper at times...

... The 10 and 20 round Promags have worked well, but I'd like to see ruger produce them.

Ruger has made them for a good long while...see above.

Guys at PerfectUnion.com generally keep up with where they are the cheapest...check the magazine forum.

- OS

Guest mustangdave

OHSHOOT...I musta lucked out then...I got 2...30 round mags from Ruger for $39.95 ea...no shipping...LOL....same mags at the shop I do most of my gun purchases were $49.95....maybe it was a ONE time luck shot...I haven't been on Perfect Union in ages

OHSHOOT...I musta lucked out then...I got 2...30 round mags from Ruger for $39.95 ea...no shipping...LOL....same mags at the shop I do most of my gun purchases were $49.95....maybe it was a ONE time luck shot...I haven't been on Perfect Union in ages

Must have been a special. Most manufacturers protect their dealers, and sell at a higher price.

Must have been a special. Most manufacturers protect their dealers, and sell at a higher price.

I guess. They're $49.95 on there right now, same as always seems. Plus shipping.

CDNN shows 34.08 for the 30 round.

I think the 20 rounders are the best all round for price and ergonomics on the mini.

- OS

Guest mustangdave

I think the 20 rounders are the best all round for price and ergonomics on the mini.

- OS

I agree...the 30 looks cool though...I do like my MINI...and like your tag line..."All the noise of an AR without the complications."

maybe the MINI isn't tac driving accurate like an AR, but I'm trying to hit somewhere between the nose and navel...not shot an eye out.

I agree...the 30 looks cool though...I do like my MINI...and like your tag line..."All the noise of an AR without the complications."

maybe the MINI isn't tac driving accurate like an AR, but I'm trying to hit somewhere between the nose and navel...not shot an eye out.

An AR can be a lot more accurate, but that doesn't mean they all are. I get real decent accuracy out of my Mini. It may be great accuracy for the right load. Since I've been on a load hunt for my AR anyway, I'm gonna run some of that stuff thru my Mini and see what it really does.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by leroy viewpost-right.png

.... I need a 7.62 x 39 (...if they still make 'em...).

Sure. 20 round factory mags max, though.

- OS

Thanks OS:_________

Any thoughts on where's the best place to find 'em new?

Thanks

leroy