A tough decision to make...

Guest bwins66

Guest bwins66

I am new here and will thank everyone for all the warm welcomes that I received!

So here is my quandry: I bought a Colt Mustang MK4 Goverment model .380 a few years ago for $450. I went to the Chilhowee show this past weekend and was VERY surprised to see 3 of these exact same guns on tables with asking prices in excess of $750!!! I immediately took mine to Shannon at Cold Creek to do a once over just to make sure all is well with it. I don't have the original box, but was surprised when I called Colt this past week when they told me that they did not have a factory original box but WOULD send me an original new manual for free - how often does that happen any more?

Anyway, I like the gun okay and it is a great carry gun, but have been wanting an AR really bad for a while. The Colt guy and Coal Creek have both told me that the value of the gun is going to go up relatively quickly and I should hold on to it, yet my father and others are telling me to get what I can for it towards an AR as November 2nd may present a whole new set of challenges.

I'm curious to hear advice from those on this board. Sell or trade it now - or hang on to it and see if it continues to increase in value? Colt did tell me that there are no plans at this point to resume production for atleast the next 3 years.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i agree that if certain people win in NOV that the prices on assault rifles will go up. Is this your only hand gun? If not and your not really attached to it then I would wait a couple of months and see what happens to the value of your gun then Sell it and buy your AR in say Apr. or May.

I would advise you to hang on to it.

a little story as to WHY you should hang on to it.

I bought an m1 garand when I was in the army, through the civillian marksmanship program. (350.00 for the rifle)

I took it out to the range, shot it one day..took it home, cleaned it...while I was cleaning it, I saw that it was made by international harvester..(they made them for a limited time during ww2)

I sold the gun not long afterwards...I wanted a magazine fed weapon.

about a year later, I found out that the m1 garand that I had was worth about 1,600.00 in the civilian market.

if my leg bent backwards, I'd be able to kick myself in the pants more often for that one.

if you REALLY must have an AR, sell me your pistol...not the gunshop.

I can have you a money order or bank note (cashiers check from my credit union) in the mail in about a week or so.

the only reason it would take that long is I just came back from home (I'm working out of town) and have been off for a week.

plus I just bought my wife a huge lcd tv.

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest TN.Frank

Best advice for everyone is to buy AR lowers NOW, that way if any new "crime bills" get passed like the '94 AWB you'll have lowers that are "pre-ban" so you can build em' up anyway you like.

Guest bwins66

Towerclimber - When I bought the ex a plasma TV for x-mas 2 years ago, it didn't go so well as she assumed I was really buying it for me :eek::)B)

I do appreciate the advice. It is not my only handgun and I have only shot the thing 2-3 times in the last year. As I stated in my original post, it is a fantastic carry gun which is why I have kept it till now. For carry, I have grown quite fond of my Glock 23. Anyway, thanks again for the advice and I will keep you informed on what I decide to do with it...

I had one just traded it for a keltec p3at and a fistfull of cash (about $450). Why? I have a para .45 that is roughly the same size and weight, if I wanted to carry a .380 I wanted one to throw in the pocket and head to town. If you haven't used it trade up for something you will use.