One ammo shoot the same as another?

CM1021

I'm getting ready to purchase my first CCW(glock 19) and will be shooting it as much as I can and also going to be getting my wife a night stand glock 17 so I'm gonna have her shoot a lot...I'm wondering if I can buy some cheap ammo for shooting at the range but get the good stuff for actual self defense and have them shoot the same? I will of course be using the same grain ammo so I would figure it would be ok to do this...especially since i will be shooting at 10-15 yards...Also anyinfo on some cheap 9mm ammo would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

CM

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yzfMrLee

Shooting same weight ammo, you won't be able to tell a difference. Even different weights at those ranges, I would say, won't make any noticeable difference for most people. I shoot the cheapest stuff I can find through my G19 for practice. Whatever ammo you decide on for self defense, just make sure you shoot enough of it to feel good with it and make sure it's gonna be reliable. I shoot mostly Winchester white box from Wal Mart for practice ammo. When I see cheaper ammo than that I usually pick it up too, but that's kinda few and far between.

Shooting same weight ammo, you won't be able to tell a difference. Even different weights at those ranges, I would say, won't make any noticeable difference for most people. I shoot the cheapest stuff I can find through my G19 for practice. Whatever ammo you decide on for self defense, just make sure you shoot enough of it to feel good with it and make sure it's gonna be reliable. I shoot mostly Winchester white box from Wal Mart for practice ammo. When I see cheaper ammo than that I usually pick it up too, but that's kinda few and far between.

Thanks for the reply!! I was looking at sporstman's guide earlier and seeing what kind of ammo I could pick up from them...I know that I paid double what they want for ammo and a certain place the other day and I don't like blowing money on something like that lol...

At the ranges she should be training at there won't be any significant difference. The Glock is more than accurate enough with any decent ammo. I shoot Wolf, WWB and most all other cheap ammo and can place shots pretty much where I want them. If you shot from 25 yards out you might notice the difference in match ammo. Defensive ammo will be about the same unless you use +p or +p+ ammo you would notice a sharper recoil. You should shoot some of your defensive ammo to ensure reliability in the gun. But in an emergency you wouldn't notice any difference even in the +P ammo.

By the way I have met very few people who can shoot a Glock to its fullest accuracy capability so that shouldn't even be a factor you consider.

At self defense ranges, go with the cheapest ammo of similar bullet weight and practice as often and as realistically as possible. Remember, your advisory is rarely a stationary man size target at 25 yards.....

I plan to stock up on some ammo and practice as much as financially possible!! hahaha...We had an indoor gun range just open in my area recently and plan on making good use of it!! :(

Guest yzfMrLee

There are lots of good choices. I use Cor-Bon dpx. Hornady Critical Defense is good, as is the Speer mentioned above. There are plenty more to chose from too. I would say just don't try to go cheap on the ammo that really counts.

At defensive ranges my Glocks shoot everything about the same. From the chepeast Winchester white box to the CorBon DPX. Under 10 yards the only difference I can tell is the recoil. In those 9mm's I like Critical Defense, DPX or Gold Dots as mentioned above. There are lots of other ammo choices that are good as well.

Guest peacexxl
I'm getting ready to purchase my first CCW(glock 19) and will be shooting it as much as I can and also going to be getting my wife a night stand glock 17 so I'm gonna have her shoot a lot...I'm wondering if I can buy some cheap ammo for shooting at the range but get the good stuff for actual self defense and have them shoot the same? I will of course be using the same grain ammo so I would figure it would be ok to do this...especially since i will be shooting at 10-15 yards...Also anyinfo on some cheap 9mm ammo would be greatly appreciated!!

CM

Men make plans, and God and WOMEN laugh! Hope you have better look getting your wife to practice regularly than I do.

prior to reloading, I shot Federal and Winchester (whichever was cheapest) for practice. For SD I use Hornady Critical Defense in ALL by handguns. Now I reload for practice rounds, lead bullets, and they all feed great except the .45 which is a little picky with wadcutters. Blazer Brass was my boolit of choice for practice till I could not find it anymore.......just my opinion, but if you were to buy her a Springfield XD, I bet she would shoot it more.....

Men make plans, and God and WOMEN laugh! Hope you have better look getting your wife to practice regularly than I do.

haha this is true!! She likes going to the range with me and has sorta been interested in guns since we started dating...so I don't think it will be a huge deal to get her to go...

I can tell a diff in cheap ammo out to 12 to 15 yds with my glock 19. Wolf shoots the worst and dirtiest WWB shoots a lil lower than Rem. My friend loads for me now and they shoot the same as Rem . I shot some PPU ammo that seemed to shoot really good seemed a tad hotter than the rest.But ive shot around 10,000 plus rds through it