Moved to Alabama...TN Permit still Valid?

I have recently moved to Alabama and now have an AL driver's license. I am pretty sure I know the answer to this (and will obviously check with the local sheriff), but is my TN carry permit still valid with an AL driver license? I stopped carrying once I got my AL license, but will check with the local sheriff when I get a chance. Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what info you found out. Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

No, your permit is no longer valid as you are not a resident of Tennessee now. However you might qualify for an expedited AL permit by "trading in" your TN permit similar to how you can trade in an out of state permit in TN and bypass the class requirement.

yes and no. There should be a grace period, but this is something you should check out, which should allow your permit to function for a month or so until you can get a new one for your current state. The same is true of your drivers, but you want to find out how long you have & get a new one ASAP.

Do you still work in TN by chance?

If you work in TN for at least 30 hours a week over the last 6 months TN will issue TN permits to out of state residents whose state or residence hasn't entered into a written reciprocity agreement with TN. 39-17-1351®(3)©

Although TN and AL honor each others permits, they don't have a written reciprocity agreement.

All that said, I don't think getting an AL permit is very hard and shouldn't take too long, especially having already had a TN permit. One note about AL permits, they are issued by the local sheriff and he can place restrictions on your carry permit above what is in the state law and those restrictions apply to you state wide.

I'm curious, does AL law require you to get a resident permit like TN law does? If not, then why not convert the TN permit to a non-resident permit and just keep it instead of getting an AL permit which might place restrictions on carry?

I'm curious, does AL law require you to get a resident permit like TN law does? If not, then why not convert the TN permit to a non-resident permit and just keep it instead of getting an AL permit which might place restrictions on carry?

To be honest I'm not sure...don't see anything in what I've looked at that says as a AL resident you must get a AL permit. However there did seem to be a question as to whether they will honor non-resident permits from other states. As of know it appears they do, but are seeking clarification by the AG and/or legislature.

Guest 270win

Most counties in Alabama take ten to twenty bucks per year for your pistol license. You get it from the Sheriff's Dept. Most do not require any sort of training for the pistol license. You just fill out the paperwork, pass the background check, and get your pistol license. Hopefully you get a license with no restrictions on it from your sheriff. The nice thing is if you get one with no restrictions, you can carry wherever you want like K-12 schools. A license in AL allows you to carry in schools down there under state law. Good luck with your move.

Most counties in Alabama take ten to twenty bucks per year for your pistol license. You get it from the Sheriff's Dept. Most do not require any sort of training for the pistol license. You just fill out the paperwork, pass the background check, and get your pistol license. Hopefully you get a license with no restrictions on it from your sheriff. The nice thing is if you get one with no restrictions, you can carry wherever you want like K-12 schools. A license in AL allows you to carry in schools down there under state law. Good luck with your move.

The only other place it mentions in state law that you can not carry (or even have it your vehicle within 1000 ft) is if you participate in a demonstration in a public place.

Guest 270win

Yeah, that is right you can't protest/picket with a gun or be close to a picket line in Alabama, even with a license. Other than that, you have an unrestricted license down there, you are good to go. I forgot about the picket line law down there because I don't visit such places. It is nice that I am legal on college campuses in AL with my TN handgun carry permit. It is kind of gray if I would be legal at a K-12 because I don't have an AL license and fortunately I don't go to K-12 property down there.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have not had a chance to make it to the sheriff's office yet, but I will reply back with what I find out. I have heard some Madison County residents have had to wait 6 months before the sheriff will issue a permit after moving here. Hopefully already having a TN permit will waive that wait period.