TN permits now recognized in Iowa

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, now if only IL and WI would get their act together!
IL passing shall-issue might be one of the signs of the apocalypse. :drool:

Illinois is getting closer. Illinois has two pro-gun groups working against each other; the “Carry Group†and the “2nd Amendment Groupâ€. As soon as they understand that HCP isn’t 2nd amendment; I think they will get carry permits. Because of Chicago it will be tough, but they have a chance.

Good for Iowa thumbsup.gif

Guest mcgyver210
Illinois is getting closer. Illinois has two pro-gun groups working against each other; the “Carry Group” and the “2nd Amendment Group”. As soon as they understand that HCP isn’t 2nd amendment; I think they will get carry permits. Because of Chicago it will be tough, but they have a chance.

Good for Iowa thumbsup.gif

WOW didn't Illinois even had a snowballs chance of having a permit. I have already decided they are so Anti-Gun I would never visit them.

Iowa has no direct effect on me today, but as more states move this way, it could be an influence on other states in the future.;)

That's pretty much me....no plans of going to Iowa anytime soon. But figure it always good when another state honors TN permits, especially when it is like in the case it is because they will honor all permits.

I have contacted the Washington (state) AG twice about honoring TN permits. The first time they told me it was because TN didn't have an electronic way to check if someone had been committed to a mental institution. Well that changed at the first of 2010 and I contacted them again, they said they would review the TN law and make a decision. Not sure what the problem is now.

If IL becomes shall issue state, it will be because of a SCOTUS ruling and enforcement by federal troops :)

rollfloor.gif

We have had this conversation before and nothing has changed.

If Illinois has carry permits it will be because the state legislature decided that is what they wanted. The SCOTUS has not, and will not make any decision that says a state has to allow its citizens to carry. They haven’t ruled that because they don’t have the authority to do it. They also don’t have the authority to send Federal Troops in. It’s called “States Rightsâ€. I don’t understand why you seem to have such trouble grasping that concept; we fought the worst war of our nations history over it…. Remember?

Tennessee does not recognize the right to bear arms any more than Illinois does. I haven’t been to the border lately but I’m willing to bet there are not large groups of troops being massed at the borders ready to lay seize on the state. :D

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
IL passing shall-issue might be one of the signs of the apocalypse. :)

I agree. I unfortunately have family in IL and it would be nice one day to be able to carry there, instead of disarming at the IL/IN border.

I saw on Fox news, Iowa allows you to carry into bars and drink as long as you stay under the DWI limit.

They also changed it from concealed carry to where you can open carry if you want.

This is great. I go to MN once or twice a year to visit family. It was great when MN started recognizing TN's permit, but still had to disarm at the IA/MO border, no longer have to do that, hot dog!!

Thanks for the link on the legalities of carrying in IA. The only stops we make in IA are usually to get gas then it's back on the road again.

Dave,

I'm fully aware of the limitations that SCOTUS has when enforcing their rulings.... I'm also fully aware of the issues we have in TN with unconstitutional legislation.

The post was a reference to Little Rock Nine where SCOTUS ruled and the President sent troops in to enforce the ruling. The point was to show that IL would not go willingly into allowing carry for all law-abiding citizens and would have to be dragged kicking and screaming. Sorry clearly I should have spelled out what I thought was a clear reference.

And I think there is a difference between TN and IL, on this issue we'd get rid of a lot of our carry laws if SCOTUS ruled carrying a firearm is a right under the 2nd Amendment (which it clearly is)... and I suspect we'll see if I'm right or not in the next couple of years with Palmer v DC.

But, even if so ordered, IL/Chicago would stall, and attempt to legislate around the ruling, as they have in the McDonald ruling.

rollfloor.gif

We have had this conversation before and nothing has changed.

If Illinois has carry permits it will be because the state legislature decided that is what they wanted. The SCOTUS has not, and will not make any decision that says a state has to allow its citizens to carry. They haven’t ruled that because they don’t have the authority to do it. They also don’t have the authority to send Federal Troops in. It’s called “States Rightsâ€. I don’t understand why you seem to have such trouble grasping that concept; we fought the worst war of our nations history over it…. Remember?

Tennessee does not recognize the right to bear arms any more than Illinois does. I haven’t been to the border lately but I’m willing to bet there are not large groups of troops being massed at the borders ready to lay seize on the state. :dunno:

It’s called “States Rights”. I don’t understand why you seem to have such trouble grasping that concept; we fought the worst war of our nations history over it…. Remember?

Yeah, but if I remember my History lessons, the side that fought for states' rights lost.

Tennessee does not recognize the right to bear arms any more than Illinois does.

Are you serious?

Does IL have State preemption on municipalities (Counties and Cities) with respect to gun laws?

Can the average Chicago resident drive down the street with a long gun in the vehicle, with ammunition in close proximity legally? No permit required in TN to do that.

• 5 months later...