Defenseless in Ohio

Guest tngw1500se

Guest tngw1500se

Went to Ohio to see my mother in the hospital and they had the "no guns" sign posted. I never go into any place that has those signs, but in this case I had no choice. There we are in a dark parking garage, in downtown Columbus Ohio, walking to my truck that I had to leave both my wife's and my gun in. That's a uneasy feeling to say the least! Seems a shame to me that anyone has the ability to take away my right to defend myself and my family.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge, there is no specific penalty for carrying past a sign in Ohio like there is in TN.

Just the "leave or face trespassing" thing if found out?

Metal detectors at entrances? That would be a different matter I suppose.

- OS

Best I can tell by looking at the OH page on Handgunlaw.us Hospitals are not off-limits by law and they do not mention property owners being able to post legally binding signs.

Unlike in TN in many other states property owners either can't post signs, or those signs carry no legal weight.

That being said I'm usually a bit more conscious when out of state myself.

...Unlike in TN in many other states property owners either can't post signs, or those signs carry no legal weight....

In fact, with possible exception of "bar carry" prohibitions, I've not seen ANY other state actually criminalize carry past a sign per se, as in TN.

- OS

Guest rsgillmd
If you've planned ahead, you aren't "defenseless" simply because you can't bring your handgun.

+1.

I got a key chain type pepper spray canister recently. I always have it with me, even when I can carry.

Also remember:

1) Unless you got your permit right at age 18 you were probably in similar situations without a gun and survived, and probably didn't even think about it. Whenever I start to get a little paranoid, I just remind myself that I didn't even consider getting a permit until <1 year ago. I've survived all of my life with just luck and alertness to my surroundings.

2) From everything I've read and heard, most crimes are crimes of opportunity. If you stay alert you'll probably be fine.

3) Whether it be pepper spray, a gun, a baton, or something else, if you have something you are already better off than if you had nothing.

As far as the laws, you won't find anyone disagreeing with you. It is a shame, but change comes slowly.

+1.

I got a key chain type pepper spray canister recently. I always have it with me, even when I can carry.

Also remember:

1) Unless you got your permit right at age 18 you were probably in similar situations without a gun and survived, and probably didn't even think about it. Whenever I start to get a little paranoid, I just remind myself that I didn't even consider getting a permit until <1 year ago. I've survived all of my life with just luck and alertness to my surroundings.

2) From everything I've read and heard, most crimes are crimes of opportunity. If you stay alert you'll probably be fine.

3) Whether it be pepper spray, a gun, a baton, or something else, if you have something you are already better off than if you had nothing.

As far as the laws, you won't find anyone disagreeing with you. It is a shame, but change comes slowly.

Keep in mind, you have to be 21 to get a permit to carry in TN......Also, a baton is not a legal alternative to handgun carry. Pepper spray would be a good option.

I am in Ohio regularly (most of my family lives there) and to the best of my knowledge (and I do check now and then for changes) the worst that could have happened to you would be that you would have been required to leave had the hospital found out you were carrying.

My one and only time (so far anyway) when I though I might have to actually draw a weapon happened in the parking lot of my house in downtown Columbus (it was a rehabilitated house build in 1865 and was just three blocks from the Capital building...I worked in downtown Columbus for over 15 years). Anyway, point being is that if I were in a place where where I really felt I should carry then no sign is going to stop me; either that or I wouldn't be there (I understand that in your case not being there wasn't an option!).

Handgunlaw.us now includes whether "No Guns" signs have the force of law in a state on the state's information page.

According to their Ohio page, signs there do carry the weight of law.

ORC 2923.126©(3)(a) Except as provided in division ©(3)(:) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.

There doesn't seem to be any requirments for the sign. So guess I would have disarmed as well. Things I may or may not do within TN I'm much less likely to do out of state.

Not a bad idea. I carry spray at work where I am not allowed to carry a firearm. I don't always carry it when I can carry a firearm - just too much crap to carry around - but it would be a good idea.

Also remember:

On one hand, you make a valid point. Heck, going to college back in the '90s I lived in the 'bad' part of Knoxville and didn't carry. On the other hand, when I was 18 - or even 21 - this part of East Tennessee, especially the less urban areas, seemed (maybe it wasn't but it seemed) a lot safer than now. Things have changed a lot in the last twenty years or so.