M4 Sling Systems

Nice, that does look like a better system.

Picking a tactical sling is more complicated than picking a wife. :) That's why I started this thread. I'm sure some folks have a pile of slings next to their pile of holsters. I didn't wanna be that guy. I already have a holster pile :)

EDIT: BTW... have a pretty good pile of ex-wives and such too :D

Edited by mikegideon
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the blackhawk one piont sling now but I think I'm going to change that to the magpul sling and add the front attachment point.

From what I've learned in this thread, I'll most likely order a Vicker's sling with DD QD swivels, and upgrade my stock to a Magpul CTR. I'm convinced that 2 point is the way to go. The Vickers appears to be the highest quality sling out there. I guess my MOE stock will go in the pile.

Guest buttonhook

The one thing I like about the magpul is that it allows me to go from a 1 point to a two point so fast. and I dont have to replace my mounting point or stock

The one thing I like about the magpul is that it allows me to go from a 1 point to a two point so fast. and I dont have to replace my mounting point or stock

I know. I just got talked out of it. I may add a buffer tube attachment point later, but am thinking now that a 2 point is going to work better attached close to the butt plate.

The one thing that I never liked about the VCAS is the 572873 step manual of arms to transition from shoulder to shoulder.

Under stress that could easily get FUBAR'd and then you have to deal with a mess of sling and rifle rather than engaging. That's why I prefer the single point. As well as the fact that if you do weapons captures, i.e. throwing the rifle around to where you secondary's grip catches the barrel, you don't have the lawn dart syndrome and it's easliy reversed.

Rather than extend the sling, get your arm under, get the gun back up, then arm back over, and retighten. Too much time, even with training, it still takes too damn long.

• Administrator
So... now i'm leaning heavily toward the Vickers 2 point. The next hurdle is a QD attachment point on the stock. The handguard is easy, but I don't see a good option for the MOE stock. The cleanest solution may be to upgrade to a CTR, which has QD sockets on both sides of the stock. I don't want anything hanging off the rifle when the sling is detached.

This...

CTR-2.jpg

I run a CTR stock on my short barrel AR and use the attachment point shown in the photo you linked. No problems, although the CTR's design is such that the QD swivel will not rotate 360 degrees. The sling loop bangs into the butt of the stock and prevents it from rotating completely. I'd guess i can rotate it about 90 degrees before it bangs. Not an issue, really, but it might surprise or frustrate you as well.

Guest buttonhook
That's the down side of 2 point slings, and why I was looking at the Magpul to begin with. Everything else about a 2 point is better. I don't know if I can even shoot left handed without my head exploding ;)

with the magpul you can have teh two point sling to carry and the one point when you shoot.....

I run a CTR stock on my short barrel AR and use the attachment point shown in the photo you linked. No problems, although the CTR's design is such that the QD swivel will not rotate 360 degrees. The sling loop bangs into the butt of the stock and prevents it from rotating completely. I'd guess i can rotate it about 90 degrees before it bangs. Not an issue, really, but it might surprise or frustrate you as well.

I figured that might be the case. Other than that, it's a real clean solution.

• Administrator

While I am generally a fan of Magpul stuff, some of their more recent products are being classified -- by Magpul themselves -- as "theory based" products. In other words, they had a theory that a certain product would be an answer to a problem, but there is no anecdotal proof to substantiate it. Further with some of these products, I'm not sure there was ever really a problem to begin with. But that's just me and I'm not near as highspeed or lowdrag as the Magpul guys.

When I'm hanging **** off of my rifle, I try to keep it simple and idiot proof. Two-point straps just work for me and I don't really find myself needing the complexities of single-point, three point or bungie cords. YMMV.

I think the Magpul sling concept is great as an answer to the 2 point/3 point debate. But, when you have real operators complaining about the hands on quality of the product, I'm inclined to give up the single point option for much higher quality.

I'm not going to run my rifle the way Kegger runs his. Runnin' and gunnin' is more like wheezin' and stumblin' for an old fart like me. FWIW, I keep up with him just fine when we're doing 12 oz. curls ;)

Guest FastMover

I run a Larue 2pt on my home rifle and an Israeli 2pt on my patrol rifle. I find the 1pt sling smacks my nether-regions when running and gets in the way when I'm fighting.

I run a Larue 2pt on my home rifle and an Israeli 2pt on my patrol rifle. I find the 1pt sling smacks my nether-regions when running and gets in the way when I'm fighting.

Yep, there seems to be a consensus, even tho some folks like a single point. I settled on a 2 point with QD attachments. Kinda pricey because of the stock change.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here it is... my $950 sling. Classic example of advanced AR sickness. As I said earlier, I decided on a Vickers sling and QD attachments. So, I needed to replace the MOE stock with a CTR. The other end of the sling turned out to be much more expensive. I decided on a Gear Sector rail mount attachment point for the front, to be attached to the forward end of the rails. That's when the trouble started.

I didn't want the sling impacting the point of aim, so I decided to replace the 2 piece rails with a Daniel Defense Omega free float system (cool stuff). Since that system provides a continuous top rail, the rifle would now support the big Eotech with AA batteries. I have AA's stored in the grip, and I didn't want to waste them :rolleyes:. Add a couple of new rail covers, and I'm done. Sorry for the crappy pics. They don't do it justice.

IMG_0534a.jpg

IMG_0536a.jpg