M4 Sling Systems

Guest DanE479

If when you install the ASAP plate you are not sure you will keep it, don't stake the plate to the buffer tube... Only do that when you are sure you will keep your sling plate.

Trust me...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I use a Magpul sling with the SLAP from I KICK HIPPIES » GET YOUR SLAP PLATES HERE!!. Very happy with it. One of the things I like most about it is that it is a single piece construction, no excess parts to rattle or weld spots to potentially break. It doesn't interfere with full collapse of the buttstock either.

I use a Magpul sling with the SLAP from I KICK HIPPIES » GET YOUR SLAP PLATES HERE!!. Very happy with it. One of the things I like most about it is that it is a single piece construction, no excess parts to rattle or weld spots to potentially break. It doesn't interfere with full collapse of the buttstock either.

I've seen your rifle. You have the MOE stock as well, correct?

• Administrator
Vickers Sling. :)

2hprbza.gif

This. I've been around the world on slings and settled on the Vickers sling several years ago and have never once reconsidered it since. Top quality gear, solid design concept and none of that loose sloppy single-point nonsense that lets your carbine get in your way when you're not using it.

Do yourself a favor and read this thread:

The OFFICIAL "Which AR SLING do you use and why?" Thread! - M4Carbine.net Forums

Before you buy, or before you buy your next sling.

I was already on that forum here...

Single-Point -v- Two-Point Slings - M4Carbine.net Forums

EDIT: Post #6 has a pic of a Vickers with QD attachment points. That's definately an option. Following your link next.

Edited by mikegideon

From what I've read, they have a padded option for the Vickers as well. In the link David provided, there were some fans of the Magpul 1 point/2 point concept, but not the Magpul sling. That's why I posted that modified Vickers link. Vickers was the consensus by a huge margin. I'll look at the Viking too.

• Administrator
From what I've read, they have a padded option for the Vickers as well. In the link David provided, there were some fans of the Magpul 1 point/2 point concept, but not the Magpul sling. That's why I posted that modified Vickers link. Vickers was the consensus by a huge margin. I'll look at the Viking too.

I'm generally not a fan of padded slings on AR rifles. The padded area has an inexplicable ability to be in the way and annoy me, and these rifles aren't that heavy to begin with. Now were we talking about a .308 of some sort or maybe a longer, heavier AR (ie. designated marksman style) rifle, I might be more inclined to use a padded sling.

That's just my personal preference though.

I've ran a lot of slings over the last few years. I've tried the standard 3 point Mamba style with the elastic give in it, it was nice but the strap that ran along the side of the M4 sometimes blocked the bolt catch. I went to a single point sling on a Blackhawk Universal Ambi end plate. It had its perks and drawbacks, It was nice for range work and could lace it through my shoulder straps on the armor to give it a central location. Rappelling, jumping off things it tended to want to "lawn dart" and when I would transition from primary to secondary it would sometimes swing back around to center or just get in the way while moving and shooting with the secondary. The best I've found so far has been a Vickers 2 point sling, it has a nice friction strap that is easily tightened when climbing ladders, jumping off things, rappelling as well as when running with the secondary in hand. I agree with David though the padded ones just tend to be in the way and give a larger surface on the strap to get snagged on kit. Best thing to do is get a few styles and try them for your application or find someone that has a few of them and borrow them to save some money and still give you the ability to see which one works best for you. Personal preference is everything.

I'm generally not a fan of padded slings on AR rifles. The padded area has an inexplicable ability to be in the way and annoy me, and these rifles aren't that heavy to begin with. Now were we talking about a .308 of some sort or maybe a longer, heavier AR (ie. designated marksman style) rifle, I might be more inclined to use a padded sling.

That's just my personal preference though.

That's what I was thinking. My rifle isn't that heavy.

So... now i'm leaning heavily toward the Vickers 2 point. The next hurdle is a QD attachment point on the stock. The handguard is easy, but I don't see a good option for the MOE stock. The cleanest solution may be to upgrade to a CTR, which has QD sockets on both sides of the stock. I don't want anything hanging off the rifle when the sling is detached.

This...

CTR-2.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

Here is a video showing the features of the Viking two point sling. (Vickers works pretty much the same way)

As for the padded sling, one great thing about them is when doing a strong side to weak side transition the small amount of rigidity in a padded sling makes it easier to manipulate.

It you haven't, try wearing around body armor, a helmet w/peltor headset, knee and elbow pads, ruck sack, and a bunch of other crap for a few days. Then you will know that every little bit of comfort helps.

Here is a video showing the features of the Viking two point sling. (Vickers works pretty much the same way)

As for the padded sling, one great thing about them is when doing a strong side to weak side transition the small amount of rigidity in a padded sling makes it easier to manipulate.

It you haven't, try wearing around body armor, a helmet w/peltor headset, knee and elbow pads, ruck sack, and a bunch of other crap for a few days. Then you will know that every little bit of comfort helps.

That's the thing... If my sling starts biting, I'll go get a beer :).

Guest buttonhook

I have the magpul ASAP on mine and it does rattle alittle bit when the sling is not on...but it is quite when attached to the sling. if you that worried about noise you could use this stuff the quite the ASAP. Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating

I will tell you the magpul ASAP can be a real PITA to install the first time and dont lose the little key.....(you know what I mean when you get one)

Must be nice, haha.

Well, except for being a rickety old fart, I guess you're right. The main difference I see between the Vickers and the Viking is how they deal with the excess when the sling is tightened. Score one for the Vickers. The Vickers padded sling looks good too, but doesn't have the quick release like the unpadded one.

Well, except for being a rickety old fart, I guess you're right. The main difference I see between the Vickers and the Viking is how they deal with the excess when the sling is tightened. Score one for the Vickers. The Vickers padded sling looks good too, but doesn't have the quick release like the unpadded one.

Have you looked at the new Viking tactics sling? It has a velcro piece to keep the excess tight. It shows it in that video I posted.

I have the magpul ASAP on mine and it does rattle alittle bit when the sling is not on...but it is quite when attached to the sling. if you that worried about noise you could use this stuff the quite the ASAP. Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating

I will tell you the magpul ASAP can be a real PITA to install the first time and dont lose the little key.....(you know what I mean when you get one)

I have just about been talked out of a single point, so it probably isn't an issue. No reason to learn things the hard way :).