M4 Sling Systems

Time to add a sling system to my M4 style AR. I'm looking for opinions so I can maybe buy the right stuff on the first try.

I'm a Magpul junkie anyway, and really like what I see in this video. The down side is that the Magpul attachment point is going to add some rattle to the rifle even when the sling isn't attached. Comments?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike:_______________

I did the "country boy" solution to the sling rattle thing (...im short and wide, so i carry my carbine across the body with a two point sling...). I did some paracord loops on the stock and handguard. Just double them and they will be plenty strong. I used these hk hooks with the covers from these guys: Spring Snap Sling Hook and elastic sleeve Set. Works like a charm, and is low budget. If ya wanted to be more "low budget" wrap the hooks with a soft tape.

Leroy

The Magpul solution certainly isn't low budget. I really like the easy conversion from single point to two point. Since I'm a country boy, I've always used slings to carry rifles, not wear them like a big necklace :rolleyes:. There are obvious advantages with a single point sling once you're ready to shoot it. Those advantages go away if you're just carrying the rifle from point A to point B.

Actually, you'd be surprised how easy it is to carry a rifle around on a single point sling. If it's held up tight enough it doesn't bang around as much as you'd think.

I'm a big fan of the gear sector single point just for this reason, it keeps the rifle high on the chest and it doesn't use the HK hooks so no rattling. Take a look at their stuff, high quality gear for a pretty decent price.

Actually, you'd be surprised how easy it is to carry a rifle around on a single point sling. If it's held up tight enough it doesn't bang around as much as you'd think.

I'm a big fan of the gear sector single point just for this reason, it keeps the rifle high on the chest and it doesn't use the HK hooks so no rattling. Take a look at their stuff, high quality gear for a pretty decent price.

I see some real possibilities with their stuff

I use a Blackhawk 3 point sling. After I got the weapon placed where I wanted it, I just used some electrical tape to secure the extra strapping to itself and keep it from coming undone. The price for the sling wasn't bad and it keeps the weapon close to the body for easy target acquisition.

Guest DanE479

I use the Noveske QD sling point that takes the place of the buffer tube plate. It doesn't rattle a lot and it lets me pull the whole thing in a jiffy. I plan on modifying my Magpul sling by having the QD sling swivel sewn into the sling repl;acing the magpul attachment device.

I use the Noveske QD sling point that takes the place of the buffer tube plate. It doesn't rattle a lot and it lets me pull the whole thing in a jiffy. I plan on modifying my Magpul sling by having the QD sling swivel sewn into the sling repl;acing the magpul attachment device.

Yep. Gear Sector had the QD plates as well. One of the thinks that caught my eye on their site...

Gear Sector | QD Swivel Mount

Guest DanE479

THe Noveske allows a full collapse of the stock with the QD attached. No other plate on the market does.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=rec-qdep&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status

It beats the Gear sector cold. And the troy, and the GG&G, and teh Daniel Defense and the....

It's one of those products that just flat out does the job better than any of its competitors does.

THe Noveske allows a full collapse of the stock with the QD attached. No other plate on the market does.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=rec-qdep&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status

It beats the Gear sector cold. And the troy, and the GG&G, and teh Daniel Defense and the....

It's one of those products that just flat out does the job better than any of its competitors does.

Actually, that link was to a Daniel Defense. They have the Noveske as well. Thanks for the tip.

I'm a big fan of the Wilderness Tactical Giles sling. All the benefits of a single point with out the negatives. It's quiet, comfortable, quick on off, carries high or you can place it anywhere on you upper body (ie side, back, front) for hands free work and quickly transition right back on. Not expensive either. Plus you just need a normal two point attachment. The video is a little slow but the good stuff starts at about 1:30

AR 15 Rifle Sling, M 16 Rifle Slings

Guest Lester Weevils

Smith, thanks much for posting that Giles Tactical Sling video.

Am ignorant, but after purchasing the STG 556 read about the advantages of a three-point sling on bullpups or other short rifles. This Cheaper Than Dirt $20 sling looked good enough for an experiment--

ARR-103 - AR-15 Ultimate Weapon Rifle Sling 69" Adjustable Length Versatile Carry Options Black 1.25" Width

It seemed to work OK, and I eventually got two more of them for a Colt .22 AR and a Henry .357 lever gun. It fits the advertising of being very adaptable and can be attached to about any rifle.

Some have said that stringing up 3 point slings can be confusing at first. My spatial perception IQ is very low, which I blame on a bad eye, but could as likely be a bad brain. By carefully studying lots of still pictures I got the slings hooked up correctly, and they worked OK, but didn't work as good as I expected to easily swivel to the different carry positions.

Was also installing the slings for left-hand carry when all the pictures and instructions were for right-hand carry. If you are dumb enough, adapting from left-hand to right-hand aint all that easy.

Anyway, though I got the slings installed properly, I missed one important feature until watching that video-- The sling goes over the head and the weak arm. Doh-- I had been wearing the sling over the head and strong arm.

Hey, when hooked under the wrong shoulder it still basically works as advertised, but doesn't work nearly as smooth. Maybe some of the three point slings really are hooked under the strong shoulder and I was monkey-see-monkey-do from incorrect pictures.

Anyway, I got out the rifles and tried em out wearing the slings the correct way, and they work great. Maybe there are big advantages to the more expensive slings for operators, but now that I'm finally using the Cheaper Than Dirt sling properly, am very tickled! That CTD product is made pretty good, and comes with enough doo-dads to connect it to about any rifle.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I used to be able to work the old military slings when I was a young 'un, but I forgot now. I have one, but it's just a carry strap now.

I like Smith's sling too, but want something that uses quick connections. I really like the Magpul sling because it easily goes from single point to 2 point. I like Dane's solution too, but not sure I want to modify the sling.

Thanks to everybody so far.

I used to be able to work the old military slings when I was a young 'un, but I forgot now. I have one, but it's just a carry strap now.

I like Smith's sling too, but want something that uses quick connections. I really like the Magpul sling because it easily goes from single point to 2 point. I like Dane's solution too, but not sure I want to modify the sling.

Thanks to everybody so far.

The Giles does use a QD on the shoulder loop. Snaps off and on very quickly.

Guest DanE479

First, It's just plain Dan (last name starts with E).

Second, The only reason that I am modifying my sling is because I chose to have the most streamlined package possible. I see no need for two quick release devices on my sling. It's not necessarily for noise discipline.

Three point slings do not allow for any off side weapon transitions. Any CQB situations will require the use of some off-side shouldering at some point. THey also tend to sit where your gear is on your chest more than a two point or a single point will. Third, they tend to get hung up on thigns more, and take more time to out on and adjust to sit right.

I also don't like slings that use the end of the butstock as a mounting point. They tend to take too much fussing to sit right on the chest when you aren't shouldering the weapon.

Sorry Dan. I knew why you were modifying the sling. If you want a Magpul sling and the Noveske QD plate, it's the best way to do it. The down side is that you have to do it again if you replace the sling. Just one of the little bullet point on the list. I still may go that way. I'm not really considering any 3 point options.

Guest DanE479

S'cool.

I just realised that my tone sounded a little jerkish in my last post. I'm just a pretty blunt talker...

After trying just about everything out there, I come to the conclusion that the Magpul is the best of an all around bad situation. Slings suck, but are necessary. THe magpul is heavier than it needs to be, and a little too involved, but it's the best thing I've found to fill the role of a sling that i can use to hump a rifle a distance and also a sling that offers maximum versitility in how I can presnent the weapon in many different situations. I have the sling in two point mode when it is in the case because it's the fastest mode of slinging up a rifle there is. I can quickly throw it into single point mode if need be, or continue to the fight in two point mode, and get the job done.

S'cool.

I just realised that my tone sounded a little jerkish in my last post. I'm just a pretty blunt talker...

After trying just about everything out there, I come to the conclusion that the Magpul is the best of an all around bad situation. Slings suck, but are necessary. THe magpul is heavier than it needs to be, and a little too involved, but it's the best thing I've found to fill the role of a sling that i can use to hump a rifle a distance and also a sling that offers maximum versitility in how I can presnent the weapon in many different situations. I have the sling in two point mode when it is in the case because it's the fastest mode of slinging up a rifle there is. I can quickly throw it into single point mode if need be, or continue to the fight in two point mode, and get the job done.

Yep, I'm still leaning that way. Their RSA looks real good for the second attachment point, especially for my rifle. I think, for simplicity sake, I'll probably just go all Magpul. If the rattle pisses me off, it will be easy enough to move to the Noveske plate and a mod to the sling.