They DO exist...

Guest Opie Coyote

Guest Opie Coyote

Just thought some of you might be interested in knowing that I went for a walk this afternoon and actually got into two coveys of quail in Overton County. No shots, but it was good to see.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest President Fernatt

Saw one in Grundy County a couple years ago...only one I have ever seen and like the guy above me...scared me to death when they all jetted out of there lol

Saw one in Grundy County a couple years ago...only one I have ever seen and like the guy above me...scared me to death when they all jetted out of there lol

I grew up hunting the mountains in Grundy co. and every year I would step on a grouse or two and you talk about having the crap scared out of you...

I've never seen a grouse, but I grew up on the plateau.

I hunted near Altamont. Hwy 108 cut through the middle of our hunting property when they built in in the mid 90's. I am not even sure if the same family owns the property anymore, I last hunted it sometime before 1996. I wish I owned it now and could manage it for deer.

Google Maps

I grew up hunting the mountains in Grundy co. and every year I would step on a grouse or two and you talk about having the crap scared out of you...

I don't see how anyone has ever shot a ruffed grouse in flight. Folks usually shoot them on the ground if they can see them?

- OS

I saw a few in Morgan County a few years ago while deer hunting..............scared the bajeebees outta me when they took off

I have flushed up some in Bedford county, and I must say, that is the most scared I have ever been in the woods. It only lasts a split second, but talk about making your heart skip a little.

Here in Clay Co. I don't see to many quail either. Biologists say that their populations rise and fall over several years for some reason that they can't figure out. As far as Grouse I don't see any here. When I lived in Cumberland Co. Ky. I would see a grouse every once in a while.

Guest BEARMAN
Biologists say that their populations rise and fall over several years for some reason that they can't figure out.

I'm no Biologist, however, I'm thinking it's probably a combination of habitat loss and predator depredation...including the rise in the number of feral cats & dogs that people are turning loose. It's almost a no win situation for the quail.

More hunter's turning their sight's to hunting predator's, may just be one key to the survival of the native quail population in Tennessee.

Guest President Fernatt

My father owned a resort here in Sevier County, we used to buy and release about 2 dozen bobwhite quail every year...a couple dumb ones got hit by cars but now there is actually a decent little population in the resort that seems to be getting along just fine. I actually shot a grouse over in Grundy County as soon as it took off...I'm not much of a wild game eater but the other guys seemed to enjoy it. I'm pretty much against heavy hunting restrictions but it may be time we let the birds make a comeback. idk?

I'm no Biologist, however, I'm thinking it's probably a combination of habitat loss and predator depredation...including the rise in the number of feral cats & dogs that people are turning loose. It's almost a no win situation for the quail.

More hunter's turning their sight's to hunting predator's, may just be one key to the survival of the native quail population in Tennessee.

I have heard several theories, but I have my own. Any quail hunter knows that it isn't hard to wipe out an entire covey in one day. They flush and you shoot. The dogs get back on the birds, they flush and you shoot. Keep this up and you wipe out a covey. No birds left to breed. I think too many hunters got greedy and took too much of a toll on our population of birds. Of course, this is one contributing factor. Predators (come back of coyotes and turkey) and loss of habitat to Johnson grass fields doesn't help things any.

I loved quail hunting as a young boy, growing up on a farm. We had three or four coveys, and in one covey there was an albino bird! After we noticed it one year, we would not shoot into that covey... and in the following years noticed not only the albino, but other birds with white spots on them as well. There's no better eating than nice plump quail rolled in flower and salt and pepper... and fried in a black skillet on top of the stove... just like Southern fried chicken! Yum - Yum! It's sad that populations have dropped so drastically over the years. I think all of the posters are hitting on lots of the reasons for their decline. I'd love to see the plentiful coveys back, like it was when I was a kid... about 132 years ago! Well, almost that long.

Guest Appalachian

I live in Grundy Co. and the quail and gruose are far an dfew between, I loved listen'n to qail whistle'n during the summer months, and a grouse drumming was a common thing but aint heard either in years.

For what it says if you used to hunt here I have some bad news for ya, the mountains been logged out so bad they'er aint many places fit to hunt anymore, you can nearly see from Coalmont to Altamont and they aint done yet.

Rich people buy the land and then log it out and when all the timbers gone they have the land left for what ever, they dont give a **** because they dont have to look at the mess they've created and left behind, all they want is ther money, but you can bet if it happened in ther front yard like it has ours they'd be have'a fit about detory'n ther woodlands and property values dropping from all the destruction.

I live in Grundy Co. and the quail and gruose are far an dfew between, I loved listen'n to qail whistle'n during the summer months, and a grouse drumming was a common thing but aint heard either in years.

For what it says if you used to hunt here I have some bad news for ya, the mountains been logged out so bad they'er aint many places fit to hunt anymore, you can nearly see from Coalmont to Altamont and they aint done yet.

Rich people buy the land and then log it out and when all the timbers gone they have the land left for what ever, they dont give a **** because they dont have to look at the mess they've created and left behind, all they want is ther money, but you can bet if it happened in ther front yard like it has ours they'd be have'a fit about detory'n ther woodlands and property values dropping from all the destruction.

I know what you mean. They place I used to hunt has been logged too. Such a shame to lose all that beautiful mountain land. I wish I could afford to buy a couple thousand acres to keep it unlogged.

Guest Appalachian

Couple thousand acers would be paradise, strap on a loin cloth and take off runnin thru the woods beat'n on your chest, a man could enoy his time in the woods with that kinda terratory.