357 mag + Trail Boss powder = FUN

If you own a pistol and you reload, don't walk, run to the store and buy some Trail Boss and some lead bullets. I'm loading a 158gr lead SW with 4.0gr of powder and CCI SPM primers. My sights are set for full 357mag loads. 50yds was way low, but 25yds was a little high, making me think that at 35 or 40 they would be dead on. Sound was reduced and recoil was minimal. went all the way through my wood backboard and halfway through my cinder block backstop. It also makes you smile real big. biggrin.gif

I'm going to make a 44mag load as soon as my barrel gets here.

The powder metered well out of my lee powder measure. It also appears to go a long way. The only problem I had is it picks up static and sticks to my plastic hopper.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The powder metered well out of my lee powder measure. It also appears to go a long way. The only problem I had is it picks up static and sticks to my plastic hopper.

If you'll cycle three or four hoppers full of powder through your powder measure before you actually use it the first time, it will eliminate your static cling problem. I think it gives that suggestion in the instructions. It works.

Guest KCSTEVE
I keep a used dryer sheet in my empty hopper to control static cling. I wipe down the hopper with it too.

Been using TB ever since it came out. Good stuff in my .44Spl and 45-70!

I saw a recipe for downloading rifle ammo that said to use 70% of the case volume from the bottom of a seated bullet. Is that what you do with the .45-70?

Edited by KCSTEVE
I saw a recipe for downloading rifle ammo that said to use 70% of the case volume from the bottom of a seated bullet. Is that what you do with the .45-70?

No, I just use the published data for TB. I guess if you had an oddball caliber with no data, then the 70% would work as a starting load.

One old trick to stop the static cling is to wet the plastic with soapy water but do not rinse, let the plastic air dry. Works well for funnels, bowls, dippers and powder hoppers and such. Works too. I have done it many times. Usually on the bowls and such I just dip them in the sink and let them dry. You can dip the powder hoppers upside down and let them drain and dry also.

• 2 weeks later...
If you own a pistol and you reload, don't walk, run to the store and buy some Trail Boss and some lead bullets. I'm loading a 158gr lead SW with 4.0gr of powder and CCI SPM primers.

isn't that a bit light for a .357 mag? I use 4.0 grains for my .38 special.....using 158 grain lead for both calibers.

Trailboss is great for obsolete calibers i use it in my 71/84 Mauser I called the company and asked them for loading data. the man I spoke to said to take your case lay it on its side lay the bullet you are going to use along side of it to the depth it is going to seat mark where the bottom of the bullet will be on the case with a marker when lt is seated to the proper depth this is your case capacity starting load is 50% max load is 75% do not compress load no filler needed.