Sig Sauer P6 questions

Guest Kamikaze

Guest Kamikaze

I was offered a chance to buy a pistol from a friend. To be honest I didn't really know much about it. I was looking for a range gun for my wife and this one fit the bill perfectly. The single stack magazine was a plus because it is easy to load. I bought it without any extensive research because the price was very good for the way the gun looked.

Anyway I have spent the last hour or so researching it online. It didn't click in my head that the date stamp on the side was a date. This one is dated 11/78. Thats cool, it doesn't look that old and feels really tight. It appeared to only be slightly used. I see that they are not very rare but I see the prices run around $300 for the same gun with hardly any finish left on it. How is the condition of this one compared to the norm? I gave less than $300 for this one with both magazines and around 100 rounds of hornady hollow points. Did I stumble on a good deal? Regardless I am tickled with it so far. Pics in next post...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good deal to me.

If you are interested you can send it in to Sig and they will go through it and replace the springs and check it out. and for another $60 they will put on night sights.

Custom Shop Services

Full Service Package – Detailed stripping with complete and thorough cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory certified personnel.  Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts. Lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. (Not available for Mosquito models). $79.95[/HTML]

Guest bluecanary25

You got screwwed!!! Look at that finish! I feel so sorry for you.....

To help ease your pain from such a poor deal and being ripped-off and all.......

I'll take it off your hands fer say.... $50.00 I can afford to add it with my other guns in the sock drawer.

:poop:

Truthfully, you got a very nice gun at a very good price.

I have 2 of 'em, reliable and accurate.

Hope your wife and you enjoys shooting it.

Remember.... I got $50.....

:poop: Great find, and they are exceptional guns.

Only problems I've heard of with them is some of the older ones don't like JHP because of the angle of the feed ramp, but they'll chew up ball ammo all day long.

Sig can fix that too if you want, Congrats it looks like a nice one.

Congrats on the great find!

:poop: Great find, and they are exceptional guns.

Only problems I've heard of with them is some of the older ones don't like JHP because of the angle of the feed ramp, but they'll chew up ball ammo all day long.

Sig can fix that too if you want, Congrats it looks like a nice one.

Mine has no problems feeding quality HPs. WWB FMJ and HP it will not feed well though.

Guest coldblackwind

Great deal, and excellent guns. $300 is about right for one in average P6 condition (ie, what you probably saw online with the finish wear). That one is in great shape considering that most of them were carried. You can find them in really good shape (finish wise), but often they are very worn. I've only seen one with better finish on it than the one pictured, and its presently in the other room. Add in the fact that the ammo you got with it wasn't cheap, you did darn good!

Guest Kamikaze

That's good to hear. I am itching to go shoot it. Going to try and get the wife to go Friday if we can pawn the youngins off on the grandparents. Provided it ends up being reliable with hollow points I think she might carry this one while it is cold out. I got her a 380 a while back but with all the heavy clothes I would rather her have some +p 9mm instead. I was surprised with how well it carries IWB. Much thinner than the XD I usually carry.

Edited by Kamikaze
Sp
You scored. The P6 is nothing more than the German police version of the P225.

^^^

That one appears in great condition too considering the age, probably was either refinished or a desk jockey had it for a while and probably a safe queen for someone as well.

Like you said, p6s are pretty common but usually pretty well used - they are a popular project gun, or good carry choice if you don't care about looks.

If you are looking to turn this into a project gun: Throw yourself a short trigger on that (not sure if an SRT will work on a p6, but it might), some custom grips, couple hundred bucks on a full refinish along with replacing any worn springs. What you end up with is a gun that looks and feels like a $1200 gun, but for only $5-600. If you browse through over at sigforum you are bound to find some of the project p6's people have done. Although since yours has such a good finish on it as is, it really doesn't need a refinish, but you could throw some stainless steel controls on there for some accents :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kamikaze

I finally got to shot the sig today. I like it. Now to get the wife out there to get the feel for it. On a side note, I shot around 200 rounds out of it, 50 of those were Winchester hollow points. Not a single misfeed. I am very happy. Now to get the wife a good IWB holster. :)

I am tempted to make it my new church gun.

Guest The Highlander

Dude, seriously, $300 for a P6? I hate you. I'll give you $350 for it, and you can keep the ammo you got with it!

Now, don't put that great gun in a crappy Fobus. Man up and get a real holster for it. Like others have said, if you want to make sure it is top-notch, send it to SIG and it will come back in great condition. Then try to wear it out.

And my bid is $350 for it. That will make you a quick $50!

Hard to know what hammer spring you have in there, but due to German requirements most p6 imports have a 28lb spring making the trigger quite stiff. The stock 225 spring is 24lbs and makes a huge difference in trigger feel, I made this upgrade to my p6 and it was a great improvement. Many owners who don't use the p6 for conceal carry will even go down to an 18 or 19lb spring with minimal problems.

The p6 is one of my favorite guns to shoot, very natural. I have carried it for over a year in a crossbreed. Never had a problem with any hollow points I've tried. Mine is a 1983, so doesn't have upgraded feed ramps.

Guest Kamikaze

After the positive results of this weekend's reliability testing I decided it was time to go holster shopping for the P6. After work today I carried it over to King's Firearms and More in Columbia as they have a lot of holsters. Only one was for the P6/225 specifically, a Fobus Paddle holster. I love the one I have for my XD. I use it every where but church, when I opt for the Tagua leather belt holster. I was dismayed however when I put the gun in it and it had nearly 10 degrees of slop..... no adjustments. Oh well.

At that point I was disappointed because there were no more holsters for this gun in the store. Having time to kill (wife had a play date for the kids which meant there where 6 kids under 4 at my house) I just started trying anything that looked like it might fit.

BINGO! The Tagua quick draw belt holster for a Glock 21, 30, and 36..... I swear it fits like it was molded to the gun. Ridiculously perfect.

167464_1834917716354_1342798377_32099149_3428240_n.jpg

168625_1834919076388_1342798377_32099150_3808518_n.jpg

Very comfortable and extremely close to the body. I wore it to church tonight and after sitting for an hour I hardly noticed it there. For those with a P6 this is the holster to get.

I also picked up an Uncle Mike's IWB holster as well. Size 15 does the trick.

162955_1834919956410_1342798377_32099151_1145688_n.jpg

165601_1834920436422_1342798377_32099152_6261232_n.jpg

Just a little FYI for those looking to carry one of these.

Edited by Kamikaze
  • 5 months later...

Bringing this one back from the dead!I picked up a Tagua quick draw belt holster for my P6 today based on the post above. It does fit perfectly and is very comfortable. The Tagua with the thumb break made for the p228 will also work well.