Carry at Carmike Cinema's now Allowed?

I was at the Carmike at North Gate Mall in Hixson and did not see a single gunbuster, or any verbage at all related to firearms. However, I do recall there being an issue there in the past, as well as an email correspondence that stated they had a no firearm policy. Does anyone know if something changed?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest President Fernatt

Obviously no one here can offer legal advice about where carrying is allowed...but generally it sounds like you could carry there. If they didn't allow it, there would be a gunbuster to wordage about it at the main entrance. I would go concealed if they allow it but they can still ask you to leave if they see it.

Guest tnxdshooter
I was at the Carmike at North Gate Mall in Hixson and did not see a single gunbuster, or any verbage at all related to firearms. However, I do recall there being an issue there in the past, as well as an email correspondence that stated they had a no firearm policy. Does anyone know if something changed?

It aint posted I was just there last week and carried away. Who cares if they have a no guns policy they must post if they want to keep them out.

Guest President Fernatt

I'll never understand why people open carry and then become surprised when an issue arises. Yes, there should be no issue per our constitutional right...but in today's world you almost encourage it by OC. Just go concealed and be safe. The only person that needs to know you have a gun is the one that attempts to kill you.

I'll never understand why people open carry and then become surprised when an issue arises. Yes, there should be no issue per our constitutional right...but in today's world you almost encourage it by OC. Just go concealed and be safe. The only person that needs to know you have a gun is the one that attempts to kill you.

It's been said time and time again there are lots of valid reasons to OC... Just because somebody can't comfortably carry the pistol of their choice concealed doesn't mean they should go unarmed, or have to select a substandard pistol/caliber they aren't comfortable with but can conceal. Everybody makes it out to be so easy to conceal carry from day to day, but they seem to gloss over all the compromises you have to make to conceal carry and in some cases those compromises aren't minor.

Lets assume you want to carry a full size pistol in a reasonable caliber, 9mm, 40, or 45 (whether it be Glock, 1911, Beretta, M&P, Sig, etc)... You already own this pistol and don't want to have to buy another handgun for whatever reason. You already have a full wardrobe of clothes which fit, and you don't want to change the way you dress, and because of funding reasons have to desire to buy entirely different clothes for carry.

Now because of work, you wear dress shirts and khakis to work... that is your preferred method of dress, you don't like wearing untucked shirts... So how exactly do you carry a full sized pistol concealed?

- IWB holsters won't totally conceal the pistol, and likely won't work unless you're wearing pants 1 size bigger than you need.

- Tuckable holsters again, likely won't work because they again need the pants to be larger than needed and while some have had success with them, I've yet to find one which will allow you to tuck your shirt in properly and feels comfortable enough to wear all day. Also they're expensive... costing from $65-$125 depending on the brand.

Of course during certain parts of the year you can use a jacket to help conceal... but most folks aren't going to sit through a movie or dinner with a jacket on the entire time.

OC is a compromise just like everything else... Buying an entire new wardrobe of pants isn't always possible, and poses a number of other problems including pants that don't fit right when you're not carrying. Buying a smaller firearm you can pocket carry or better conceal is expensive ($300-$500) and often means you must compromise caliber, barrel length, or round capacity. So, just go concealed and be safe isn't always an option.

BTW, the argument that you *might* scare some sheeple is why people shouldn't open carry doesn't even hold water... Somebody shouldn't even consider some random persons feels when protecting themselves. And the incidents of OCers having problems is largely over blown, because I fall into the category above, I often during the summer open carry, I've never once had a problem, never once been approached by a police officer, nor asked to leave somewhere... And frankly if somebody asks me to leave I'm going to leave and never come back.

The real question is WHY on earth is anybody still going to a movie theater? It's crazy from a tactical prospective... A high population of teens and twenty somethings many times late at night... For an entertainment only activity... The act of going to a movie theater at night violates every tactical rule in the book. Personally, I'll just watch the movies in a couple of months on PPV, in the comfort and safety of my own home for less money thank you.

Guest tnxdshooter
It's been said time and time again there are lots of valid reasons to OC... Just because somebody can't comfortably carry the pistol of their choice concealed doesn't mean they should go unarmed, or have to select a substandard pistol/caliber they aren't comfortable with but can conceal. Everybody makes it out to be so easy to conceal carry from day to day, but they seem to gloss over all the compromises you have to make to conceal carry and in some cases those compromises aren't minor.

Lets assume you want to carry a full size pistol in a reasonable caliber, 9mm, 40, or 45 (whether it be Glock, 1911, Beretta, M&P, Sig, etc)... You already own this pistol and don't want to have to buy another handgun for whatever reason. You already have a full wardrobe of clothes which fit, and you don't want to change the way you dress, and because of funding reasons have to desire to buy entirely different clothes for carry.

Now because of work, you wear dress shirts and khakis to work... that is your preferred method of dress, you don't like wearing untucked shirts... So how exactly do you carry a full sized pistol concealed?

- IWB holsters won't totally conceal the pistol, and likely won't work unless you're wearing pants 1 size bigger than you need.

- Tuckable holsters again, likely won't work because they again need the pants to be larger than needed and while some have had success with them, I've yet to find one which will allow you to tuck your shirt in properly and feels comfortable enough to wear all day. Also they're expensive... costing from $65-$125 depending on the brand.

Of course during certain parts of the year you can use a jacket to help conceal... but most folks aren't going to sit through a movie or dinner with a jacket on the entire time.

OC is a compromise just like everything else... Buying an entire new wardrobe of pants isn't always possible, and poses a number of other problems including pants that don't fit right when you're not carrying. Buying a smaller firearm you can pocket carry or better conceal is expensive ($300-$500) and often means you must compromise caliber, barrel length, or round capacity. So, just go concealed and be safe isn't always an option.

BTW, the argument that you *might* scare some sheeple is why people shouldn't open carry doesn't even hold water... Somebody shouldn't even consider some random persons feels when protecting themselves. And the incidents of OCers having problems is largely over blown, because I fall into the category above, I often during the summer open carry, I've never once had a problem, never once been approached by a police officer, nor asked to leave somewhere... And frankly if somebody asks me to leave I'm going to leave and never come back.

The real question is WHY on earth is anybody still going to a movie theater? It's crazy from a tactical prospective... A high population of teens and twenty somethings many times late at night... For an entertainment only activity... The act of going to a movie theater at night violates every tactical rule in the book. Personally, I'll just watch the movies in a couple of months on PPV, in the comfort and safety of my own home for less money thank you.

Dude it aint hard with the proper holster.

Dude it aint hard with the proper holster.

Or at least keep it from being blatantly obvious you are carrying by wearing a shirt over it. Even if you are printing, most people aren't paying that much attention. Back in my policing days, I carried a Sig P226 in a Galco Royal Guard and nobody ever said anything to me.

Guest President Fernatt

First of all, a light wind breaker or a nice slim dress jacket can be worn at all times. If you want to conceal carry it is easily possible. That aside, giving you the full benefit of doubt I'll simply let that rest. My argument was simply that an individual shouldnt be surprised if an issue arises in public. By choosing to open carry, whether justified by clothing inadequacies or not, it almost provides an invitation for others to notice and take issue. I stated there shouldnt be an issue...but it DOES happen, and an OC'er shouldn't be surprised. Every person that OCs makes a visual statement to business owners and sometimes that may influence their decision to ban guns. If everyone conceal carried, there would be no visual statement, no public alarm, and probably less issues concerning carrying. That's my opinion and I totally respect yours on the subject. Something I do find humorous is the last part..."tactical rules, perspectives"...personally I am not a soldier, I'm not a cop, I'm not a vigilante, and zombies aren't attacking so I don't have a tactical plan book. All that is required is a surplus of experience with your personal weapon and the ability to distinguish a real life threat from a non life-threat. I don't need tactics that dictate where I go,I would simply need to be proficient in my abilities with my chosen carry weapon. I AM one of those "twenty somethings" and I enjoy a full and fast paced social life which often times does include movie going. The security of carrying should ensure you have the ability to socialize anywhere you want...not just the "comfort and safety of your own home."

Edited by President Fernatt
Guest tnxdshooter
Or at least keep it from being blatantly obvious you are carrying by wearing a shirt over it. Even if you are printing, most people aren't paying that much attention. Back in my policing days, I carried a Sig P226 in a Galco Royal Guard and nobody ever said anything to me.

Exactly, I carry my 40 cal springfield in a dm bullard dual carry and people dont even know I have it on. My buddy said he wanted to see my new gun at the time I bought it so I took it out of my holster took the mag out cleared the chamber and let him see it. He said damn I would have never even known you were actually packing unless you told me. Mine doesnt print at all because I dont wear skin tight clothing. If you wear butt hugger jeans maybe lol.

Guest mikedwood

The ones that use to be posted in Knoxville that I have been to are not posted currently (as of a month or two ago, I'm in the why go to a movie theater mode as well, oh yeah I remember now, my wife likes an occasional movie and I like her to be happy :))

Duhh, an untucked t shirt conceals a pistol better than a tucked in shirt... that's great if you want to and can wear untucked shirts.

You guys keep missing the entire point of my post... There are some people who don't wear their shirts untucked.... For a number of different reasons including because their work dress code requires it, or because they were raised to keep their shirt tails tucked in :D

I happen to be in both camps, I grew up being told to keep my shirt tucked in, and grown accustom to doing so, I'm not going to change my style of dress just so I can keep a firearm on my person for self defense. I understand others were raised differently, but in my social circles men tuck their shirts in :bowrofl:

I prefer to CC when possible, I even have a small collection of "fishing" vests to help with the task :) But, if my choices are OC or not to carry, I'm going to pick OC every time hands down.

Best of luck to you wearing a light wind breaker in 95+ degree heat in the middle of the summer :D I'll stick to my short sleeve shirt :bowrofl: Obviously wearing a jacket or dress coat covers a weapon up...

As I've said before I think if you dress and act appropriately people tend not to notice or if they do don't care that you're OC'ing... I've got a lot of experience OC'ing during the summer months, and have never had a single problem, never been approached, and I suspect my style of dress plays a role in that fact. I personally feel that a handgun worn OWB holster is much less likely to cause MWG calls than the guy in dirty blue jeans and a t shirt that rides up and prints/displays he's carrying... but that is my opinion as well...

Either way, I recommend to people (HCP holders) to always carry a firearm with them when they can, avoid places where firearms aren't allowed, and conceal when possible, but if the choice is between OCing a pistol and not carrying one, always pick having the firearm with them.

As for the 'tactical' comment, I'm not a cop either... but I tend to use common sense and understand that the first step in not having a problem is to stay away from trouble spots when you can avoid them... Crime can happen anywhere, it just has a habit of happening in certain areas at certain times of day a lot more often than everywhere else...

It's not smart to go to a street corner where drug dealers are selling crack at 2am... so I tend to avoid such places :)

Movie theaters after dark are right up there in my book :) They are much more prone to criminal activity because they're open late and have huge parking lots which are often poorly lit. Because of this, I tend to avoid them - along with the fact their overpriced tickets, foods, and uncomfortable chairs :)

Example A: Marine, wife attacked by teens after showing of "Little Fockers" - OrlandoSentinel.com

I'm very comfortable in my ability to use my carry firearms, I spend a lot of time keeping my skills sharp just in case the worse happens... When I'm out and about I focus on keeping situational awareness of my surroundings... But the first lesson in situational awareness is to avoid danger areas when possible... and IMHO movie theaters after dark are such danger areas. Just remember the goal is to avoid the need to use your firearm to begin with, and that starts by staying out of situations that force you to use it.

Further, there is nothing at that movie theater worth my life or the family's life, that can't wait until daylight or better yet until it comes out on DVD. We can't live our lives hiding from all danger, but it's important to weight the risks vs the reward, and in my personal opinion movie theaters after dark/late at night don't offer enough reward.

I'm not a coward who is afraid of his own shadow... if I had a good reason to be someplace at 1am, I'll be there with my eyes wide open, but I just don't think it's wise to go looking for trouble... or as one person on this forum loves to put it:

Nothing good happens after midnight :)

First of all, a light wind breaker or a nice slim dress jacket can be worn at all times. If you want to conceal carry it is easily possible. That aside, giving you the full benefit of doubt I'll simply let that rest. My argument was simply that an individual shouldnt be surprised if an issue arises in public. By choosing to open carry, whether justified by clothing inadequacies or not, it almost provides an invitation for others to notice and take issue. I stated there shouldnt be an issue...but it DOES happen, and an OC'er shouldn't be surprised. Every person that OCs makes a visual statement to business owners and sometimes that may influence their decision to ban guns. If everyone conceal carried, there would be no visual statement, no public alarm, and probably less issues concerning carrying. That's my opinion and I totally respect yours on the subject. Something I do find humorous is the last part..."tactical rules, perspectives"...personally I am not a soldier, I'm not a cop, I'm not a vigilante, and zombies aren't attacking so I don't have a tactical plan book. All that is required is a surplus of experience with your personal weapon and the ability to distinguish a real life threat from a non life-threat. I don't need tactics that dictate where I go,I would simply need to be proficient in my abilities with my chosen carry weapon. I AM one of those "twenty somethings" and I enjoy a full and fast paced social life which often times does include movie going. The security of carrying should ensure you have the ability to socialize anywhere you want...not just the "comfort and safety of your own home."
Edited by JayC
Guest President Fernatt

I'm a bit of a suit and tie guy or at least khakis, tie, and casual dress jacket regardless of weather. I wouldn't wear a jacket to the lake lol but everywhere else it's kind of second nature. Everyone is different and Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would recommend some hybrid IWB holsters tho...it is actually possible to tuck in a shirt over one of the hybrids. I have no experience with those as far as comfort goes but it is an option. As far as theaters go, I still see no danger. I have been going to theaters to see movies about every other weekend since I was 14 and I'm in my twenties now ( they owe me thousands for crappy movies lol ) so that environment is like a second home. I can understand your perspective though in a larger city like Nashville...I'm in Knoxville for movies. Knoxville is no sanctuary but I feel relatively comfortable. Good things that happen after midnight: midnight movies begin, a new day starts, strange truckers waddle into huddle houses all over the nation and tell crazy:screwy: stories for all to hear, parking garages are free til morning, meteor showers, and soon New Years celebrations!! See, it's not all bad lol jk :D

I own 3 of the 'tuckable' holsters... two which are most often suggested and rated the highest the supertuck and CTAC, both are so uncomfortable I refuse to wear them. They also don't tuck your shirt in well IMHO.

I wear a sport coat often, but during the summer it's just too hot for me... everybody is different... but I hate to see people think they can't carry unless it's concealed for fear they might upset some sheeple.... it's much better to be armed than not when you need it.

I'm a bit of a suit and tie guy or at least khakis, tie, and casual dress jacket regardless of weather. I wouldn't wear a jacket to the lake lol but everywhere else it's kind of second nature. Everyone is different and Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would recommend some hybrid IWB holsters tho...it is actually possible to tuck in a shirt over one of the hybrids. I have no experience with those as far as comfort goes but it is an option. As far as theaters go, I still see no danger. I have been going to theaters to see movies about every other weekend since I was 14 and I'm in my twenties now ( they owe me thousands for crappy movies lol ) so that environment is like a second home. I can understand your perspective though in a larger city like Nashville...I'm in Knoxville for movies. Knoxville is no sanctuary but I feel relatively comfortable. Good things that happen after midnight: midnight movies begin, a new day starts, strange truckers waddle into huddle houses all over the nation and tell crazy:screwy: stories for all to hear, parking garages are free til morning, meteor showers, and soon New Years celebrations!! See, it's not all bad lol jk :D
Guest President Fernatt

In addition to alarming the unherded sheeple I have always wondered about the criminal mind (I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology to do Criminal Psychology). Do you think an armed criminal would pick you off first because it was obvious you had a gun and were a threat? I would open or conceal carry depending on the day so I'm not questioning your judgement, I'm just simply curious about your thoughts about that.

...Do you think an armed criminal would pick you off first because it was obvious you had a gun and were a threat? ...

It's well documented that anyone wearing a "Shoot Me First Concealment Vest" is the first to go, then those openly carrying.

Detaildraft_lens1500075module33346232photo_1242249194LeatherGunVest.jpg

urban_vest.jpg

- OS

Guest President Fernatt

That's a true statement! lol I tried to find something nice to say about those wonderful garments but I'm really struggling! those are terrible! I guess the second one would be good for fishing...

In addition to alarming the unherded sheeple I have always wondered about the criminal mind (I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology to do Criminal Psychology). Do you think an armed criminal would pick you off first because it was obvious you had a gun and were a threat? I would open or conceal carry depending on the day so I'm not questioning your judgement, I'm just simply curious about your thoughts about that.

They might... there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence one way or another... I look at it this way... if a criminal is going to start shooting, do I want to be open carrying or unarmed... and the choice is clear. There is a real concern when open carrying, it's not something people should do on a whim... I'm for sure not advocating open carrying for the purpose of making a statement. If I have a choice, I always choose to conceal... but I choose to go armed, before unarmed unless legally obligated to do otherwise (and I have no choice in the matter).

Guest clownsdd

If I am not mistaken, in one of the modern marvels of common sense, the TN. legislature included OC in the law to prevent someone having a problem with a jacket rising when reaching for something, or accidental exposure. I remember a couple of cases in FL where someone reached for something in a store, exposed and was charged. I usually carry open around the house and yard and occasionally for a quick trip to the local store (they know me). I pretty much conceal everywhere else.