1911 Magazine Suggestions Wanted

jcj

I have two 1911's, a RIA Compact and a Springfield GI. Currently I have one mag for each gun. The 7rd Springfield mag functions in the RIA but (obviously) the 7rd mag that came with the RIA is too short to seat in the full size Springfield. Granted, the Springfield mag looks a little funny hanging out the bottom of the RIA.

I'm looking to pick up a few new mags for each. Suggestions? Spotted any deals recently? :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyescream
I'm telling you, Tripp's Cobra Mags, you'll never use ANYTHING else !!!!

I hear a lot of good stuff about them, as well as the magazine refit kits they sell that replace the follower and spring with more robust units.

I've always felt the mag, and then the extractor were the only real worries as far as reliability in the 1911. I've been shoot'n em since the 70's ,and when i bet my life on my 1911 work'n ,I want the best, most reliable mags available, that's why I ( and the AZ. State Patrol) use Cobra Mags. At about 40 bucks delivered, they're worth ten times that to me.

I may order some Cobra mags to check out. Expensive, yes.. When you consider the possible consequences of a mag failure at the wrong time it seems well worth the expense.

One of my 1911s is a "cheap" RIA so I probably shouldn't speak too much on only buying the best. :poop:

I am definitely going to pick up a couple of Wilson mags. Can't have too many, right?

Thanks again for the feedback and discussion.

Wilson's 47 D's are still very very good mags, I still got half a dozen, tried one of their new models, a step back in my opinion. It's just after I was turned on to Tripp's, that's all I'll buy and carry. You guys do know, he started and was the brains behind STI. He sold it to his best friend, got to be too much hassle for him.

Just so you know the new Wilson ETM mags are different than 47d mags. They have to have special springs and followers. This means you cant replace with normal or higher end (tripps) guts. For this reason I won't buy them. I don't know why Wilson diid this other than to make you buy more of their products. Just FYI

Just so you know the new Wilson ETM mags are different than 47d mags. They have to have special springs and followers. This means you cant replace with normal or higher end (tripps) guts. For this reason I won't buy them. I don't know why Wilson diid this other than to make you buy more of their products. Just FYI

Basically, the ETM mags are a rip off of the Tripp mags. The tube is extended to as far as possible and then they use a very thin base pad on the mag. Virgil Tripp researched and experimented for over a year to develop the best 1911 mag possible and that was one of his ideas. What this does is give you a little extra room for the last round (full mag) increasing reliability and also helps with seating a full mag on reloads.

I cannot say enough good things about Virgil. Odds are when you call up to order a mag you get to talk to him and he is a legend as far as I'm concerned. I have and use every mag out there, but I think the Tripps are the most durable, reliable, and well thought out mags in existence.:D

Guest Quiet-Medicine-762

You know the old saying..."The best 1911 mag is the one which works the most reliably in YOUR weapon."

There are so many decent mags out today it is easy to get caught up in the magazine frenzy when it comes to the 1911.

I have used them all and most have worked about the same..They all are subject to fail.

Knowing what issues or problems of which to be on the "lookout", in my opinion, is the key to the 1911 magazine

There are some issues with the alloy frame 1911 that gives more cause for concern than others...Due to gouges one can cause on or below the feed ramp.

McCormick/Devel followers and an alloy frame for example,With an alloy frame gun you should always use a mag with a skirted follower.Personally, I recommend the Checkmates.

Tripp mags are very reliable in most everything, But if you have been around 1911's for any period of time you know that one can be so different from another,especially when it comes to mags and ammo.

Here is a great article by Hilton Yam on the 1911 magazine..:)

1911_Magazines

Considering that the 1911 magazine was before the perfection of welding aluminum it makes perfect sense there are still issues with the mags for the greatest handgun ever made..

JMB simply needed a time machine and we might have this issue with our 1911 mags worked out by now..

Hope this helps..

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread. I picked up a Wilson 47D mag today. All I can say is "nice!"

Huge improvement over the factory 7rd Springfield mag. My Springfield GI typically hangs up a little when feeding the first round of hollow point ammo. Takes a bit of futzing with the slide to get that first round to feed. That always somewhat concerned me, but it has never failed to feed while firing.

That problem disappeared completely with the Wilson magazine. It was so smooth I dropped the mag and cleared the weapon because I wasn't convinced it actually chambered a round.

I haven't had a chance to shoot with the Wilson mag yet, but I'm certainly impressed so far.

Guest M.Strange

maybe one day i will purchase a mag the feeds better than my shooting stars... but i have never had a problem, therefore i see no reason to change. i lucked out and had a cousin that had a few... or 50 laying around and hooked me up with about 6 of them. beautiful. McCormick knows his 1911s, and the mags to use in them...

So how does one magazine feed better than another?

Take for example the RIA. It comes with ACT or Mec-Gar Italian made mags, at least my compact model did. For extras I bought the exact same thing and amazingly they work perfectly.

My SA...well Chip McCormick are OEM so I bought an extra one of those. Runs like a champ.

Edited by Garufa
Guest M.Strange

garufa, sorry if i mislead but that was supposed to be my point...my shooting stars have never flawed, what more could you ask for?

and thats out of my RIA

Chip McCormick 8 Round Power Mags for all of my .45ACP 1911s. My Delta Elite also runs great with his 9 round CMC Shooting Star. Nothing wrong with Wilson Combat 47Ds..., just that Chip's mag can be had for $8-$10 less.

Also, never had a problem with Mec-Gar mags in any of my auto loaders.