Buying from out of state. First timer questions

Guest carrothospital

Guest carrothospital

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum section, but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I just bought an old 1941 Walther PPK on Gun Broker and now have to go through the hassle of getting it here. What do I need to do to be within legal bounds?

As far as I knew, I could just have the seller ship it to an FFL and I would get it from them. Is that it?

Also, who's a cheap FFL to deal with around Nashville? I heard that Bellshire's Hardware is pretty cheap and their only about 8 miles away.

Thanks for all the help!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep that's pretty much it. Just call the FFL to let them know to expect a gun for you. Bellshire is fine, Guns and Leather in Greenbrier/Hendersonville charge $25+$10 for TICS. Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte Ave in West Nashville will do them for $10+$10 TICS for TGO members.

Guest carrothospital

Awesome, thanks for the info. I forgot to ask: does the shipper have to ship from an FFL or can they just straight ship it from UPS to the FFL here?

Thanks again.

If you had your C&R license, you could have it shipped directly to yourself. If you are planning on buying a couple more guns that are 50 years old OR on the C&R list, you would save money by getting this license. It's $30 for a three-year license, and eliminates the TICS check and sales tax on any guns coming from out of state.

Additionally, if you do business with Midway, Graf's, or a variety of other large distributors, you can get a discounted price.

Having your C&R does NOT allow ATF to do unscheduled inspections or cause you to give up any rights. It WILL save you money if you buy just two guns during the three-year period!

Guest carrothospital

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a C&R, but I didn't get around to it before I decided to buy a PPK. I wish the process was quicker, but I'll have to settle for an FFL transfer for now. Grrr.

Guest tngw1500se
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a C&R, but I didn't get around to it before I decided to buy a PPK. I wish the process was quicker, but I'll have to settle for an FFL transfer for now. Grrr.

C&R?????? What's that?

Awesome, thanks for the info. I forgot to ask: does the shipper have to ship from an FFL or can they just straight ship it from UPS to the FFL here?

Thanks again.

They can ship directly to your FFL; however, some FFLs will only take shipments from other FFLs. I don't think you'll have a problem with the ones I mentioned but you should contact them first.

Guest bkelm18
C&R?????? What's that?

A C&R (Curio and Relic) License is a Type 03 FFL (Federal Firearms License). Essentially it allows you to have a C&R gun (basically most, but not all, guns that are 50 yrs or older) shipped directly to you and not to a dealer. It does not however allow you to engage in commerce, ie you cannot buy and sell them to start making profits. It's for collecting purposes only.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest bkelm18
Don't think so bub. They're not gonna let us have AK-47s on a C&R license.

AKs (original ones) are C&R. You are correct though we cannot get one unless it was imported by a gov't entity. Not very likely.