Steroid produce

laktrash

Probably the wrong time of year to bring this up, but last summer my wife bought some grainger county (Tenn) tomatoes. They sat on the counter while we used my homegrown ones from the yard. Which usally go bad within a week. I noticed they didn't seem to show any aging so I decided to see how long they would last. So after pushing 3 months no bad spots, no softness look like the day she brought them home. I didn't cut them open, just finally threw them away. We now have a couple of apples pretty much same story pushing well over a month. Also some green leaf luttuce over a month looks good. It is in the fridge. What kinda of crap are they treating our food with ? You would have had to see the tomatoes to see how good they looked after such along time. I see long experation dates on alot of packaged meats and such that scares me off. No wonder is was OK to eat the way my grandparents ate back in the day " floating in lard" at least it was natural.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnxdshooter

That is why I only get fresh off the farm stuff. Our freezer beef has no hormones or antibiotics. People know where it comes from and that is one of our biggest selling points is the no hormones or antibiotics. As far as tomatoes, etc the only stuff we use on em is manure. My grandpa once planted some big boy tomatoe plants and in the hole where he planted them he put horse manure in the hole. The plants grew to be over 6 feet and he had to have a step ladder to pick the maters off of it.

I've found the more "convenient" the food the worse it's going to be for you. I stopped eating at the golden arches years ago. Immediately after it was released that all the beef ( if you can consider it that) used in their burgers came from Brazil,which ironically was just named as the #1 supplier of beef to the U.S. fast food industry.

And don't even get me started about food from local supermarkets. Coming from someone that's in a grocery store at least 6 days out of 7 it's not surprising at all to me that the health of the population is where it's at.

Your best bet is to go back to tending your own garden or if you are in the city or in a situation where you can't / don't know how/ don't have time to do a garden then get out into the country and get signed up on a local farmers crop co-op. They will provide you once a week or bi-week with fresh local produce during the peak time of the year for a fee you pay at the beginning of the season. Here local we have a farmer that makes a basket of all he grows which you can stop in once a week and pick up. Initially it sounded expensive but after doing the math you will save a lot of money and you can talk to the guy that grew it.

I know the blame is thrown around but my personal opinion is big brother should take all the blame for this. I was born and raised in the country and remain here today. I've seen giant farms/dairies disappear because the gvt. has interacted in one way or another. Why do you think the number of local dairies has dwindled to nothing and of all places Kommifornia is now considered the "motherland" of milk and cheese ?!?!?

I'll shut up, this subject gets me raw real quick.

That sounds like a good plan with the local farmers co-op. I will need to check around to see if we have something like that around here. I know we have a local farmers market a couple days a week, probably the closest thing but then just go and buy exactly what we we would want. You gave me some ideas for this coming year.

I know how to grew it, I just don't have a place to grew it living here in the city. I did make me a small garden but not big enough. Going to expand it this year anyways.

Guest Lester Weevils

Well, it probably wouldn't work this-a-way, but if a chemical additive makes a mater last 3 months rather than 1 week, wouldn't it be nice if that same additive would make people last 840 years rather than 70?

Or if it can make a french fry last forever under the car seat, a shame it won't make people last forever! :)

Guest Bronker

I've grown my own beef for years, and buy local farmers market produce when in season. We are fortunate to have a large population of Mennonites locally who have country stores throughout the county. We buy lots from them. Food, etc.

Want to make yourself nervous? Read the ingredients of a pack of hotdogs, and google the ingredients. Sodium nitrate is not in your Granny's mashed taters.

I'm venturing into home-grown pharmaceuticals now. Mainly in hopes that I soon develop glaucoma...:)

... grainger county (Tenn) tomatoes.....

Every Grainger 'mater I've ever had just got soft and rotted in a week or two like any other homegrown ... never seen one that would "preserve" itself.

I suspect you actually got some of them Kali or FL maters that can sit on the bottom of a ton of others in a truck and not bruise.

- OS

Meh. The way I see it, these long shelf-chemical enriched foods just preserves my insides. That means I can drink a lot more beer without damage! :)

Every Grainger 'mater I've ever had just got soft and rotted in a week or two like any other homegrown ... never seen one that would "preserve" itself.

I suspect you actually got some of them Kali or FL maters that can sit on the bottom of a ton of others in a truck and not bruise.

- OS

Always hated those as a kid. Wouldn't matter how many Black Cats were stuffed inside.... they would just ever so slightly split :)

Guest Letereat!

Yep, Id say you are 100% correct in suspecting GEF, (Genetically Engineered Foods). Had the same experience with tomatoes couple of months ago.

Read "Seeds of Deception" by Jeffery M. Smith if you really want to increase your blood pressure for a bit....AND raise you awareness.

- OS

May be, but these sure did have the sticker that said grainger co. We hardly ever buy these because between ours tomatoes and our friends we're usually over run with them.

You know how it is. You can't eat 'em fast enough in the summer and would kill for one right now.

Honey (and sugar) is an antibiotic. It was used to prevent infection in wounds until pretty recently.

I've got nothing against the concept of genetically-altered produce. If you think about it, ALL of our produce varieties are genetically altered. Virtually nobody eats the original wild varieties of vegetables. It's just that until recently genetically-altering a plant took many generations of raising plants and culling undesired characteristics.

Another process that few understand is irradiation. Perfectly safe, and probably the single most effective food-preservation technique ever invented. But because some people are ignorant enough to believe that ALL nuclear technologies are bad, it is still uncommon in the US.

I remember when I was in 5th grade a teacher telling us about irradiation to preserve food. I know it was 5th grade cause it was a teacher that I did not care for. I also remember that was toward the end of the cold war and everything Nuclear was BAD. I do understand the process now and still not certain I am ready for it. Remember, allot of people where afraid of those Microwaves as well, now almost every house has them.

I work in a Produce department and I can tell you out produce is SUPER raunchy after a week (I clean under the racks on a weekly basis) especially those tomatoes from Ripley TN (three day shelve), Double so at the end of the season. Now I will admit that the Hothouse tomatoes from Illinois can last up to a week on our racks but they begin getting spots after six or seven days.