S&W Bodyguard .380

Guest Pink9mm

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have one, picked one up is all. If you can get one for $350 (rumors of sales for the holidays, but I havent researched this) or so, its probably worth it. They were pricy last time I looked, and I felt that the price was largely an overpriced built in laser sight system on what should be an inexpensive gun. So, I would say, if the price feels right, it seems like a nice CCW piece.

My wife chose one of these after handling the LCP and other similar sizes. It has worked out well with no issues and she shoots a tight group at 10yds. Also have a spare mag which helps with the low round count. Small, light and extremely concealable. I carry a S&W M&P9c but will occasionally grab the bodyguard for a short run to wally world or wherever.

FWIW, I have a friend that just purchased both the bodyguard 38 & 380. Didn't say much about the revolver but said that the 380 was a bit of a kicker. If you don't have an issue with that, I'd say go for it, especially with the price drop & the built in laser.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hillbilly Dan

I have had a Bodyguard for two months now. Mine is the 380 and I love it. I have been through a Kel Tec, then a Ruger LCP and after that a Sig "238. I got the S&W Bodyguard for two reason, one being the laser and the second is that I can put on safe, the quality of S&W counts as well. I use it as my #2 and as backup to my Sig 220. It is usually in my left pocket. That is why I wanted the safety. It is near "the boys" and I feel much better have a gun on safe near there.

The gun now has 250 or so rounds down the pipe. It has never failed in any way. The sites are good and with the laser it is even better. The trigger takes some getting used to, but after some shooting it gets better as most guns do with shooting them. The Bodyguard will do the job and hits where I point it. I enjoy the gun and I am happy that I got it. It is a keeper for sure.

Hillbilly Dan

NRA Life Member

Friends of NRA

I'm happy for those who had good experiences with this weapon. But for me who bought an early unit . . .

Keep the Taurus! I bought one, had problems with it - sent it back to S&W because the laser buttons wouldn't work half the time. and the laser was very dim (changed batteries too) The worse thing was the slide lock pin occaisionally popped half way out during firing! I sent it to S&W for repair and it came back in same condition, I gave it away to a co worker and explained why it was free. It was truly my worst gun experience. :-\ I'll keep the Sig P238 for my 380 of choice, no problems and fabulous trigger! :)

Edited by Proscene
Guest Sgt. Joe

I laid one away back when my store first got them late last summer early fall, we had to go through several before we found one that the laser buttons worked well on. After I had it nearly paid off I ended up putting the money toward a safe instead. Now with the price drop I am really glad that I did.

I already have a PPK and a P238 so I didnt really need it anyway but did think the built in laser was a good idea and being a Smith that it would be a good gun, I am sure it probably is but my gun store guy also told me that he found out that the laser was only guaranteed for one year?

Still at the cheaper price I may give one another good hard look-see if I can ever convince the wife to carry, every time I think she is getting close she changes her mind.

Women......:)

I wish they sold a version without the laser for even cheaper. I'm thinking hard about one because of the recent price drop and reports that they've worked the major kinks out of it (gun falling apart while shooting, trigger issues) on guns with a post EAF serial #.

It's light, it's not striker fired, and it has a working slide stop. I wish it had trench sights like the LCP, but oh well. I suppose real sights are a plus for some.

Guest 1817ak47

important question, or at least for me. are the sights steel or plastic?

I took my tcp and my pt709 that has been in my pocket drop slid around etc for the 7 months I had it and the plastic sights are linda compromised.

I'm not saying everyone would have issues with it but . . . .

I had bad Karma with mine and S&W was no help.

Ended up giving it away-too embarrassed to ask money for it.

Before someone asks:

Slide Lock pin popping out during firing. :eek:

Laser button issues.

weak laser (very dim).

Blo-back when firing. :)

in general poor quality.

Sent it back to S&W, kept it 4 weeks and didn't do anything! :popcorn:

Edited by Proscene
Guest rebeldrummer

heard good and bad. The bad, they had major issues with early releases of the gun, mainly in triggers not resetting. Another issue was the laser not easily turning on, having to push hard on button?? Also some hangups and misfires?? Maybe they rushed production and thats why the earyl releases were having troubles?? Rumor is that is why they dropped price $200!!! Prices are all over the board on this one...i have seen as low as $330 and as high as $550!!! like mentioned before, depends on when dealer got them?? I still would like to test one of these out. Good luck

I've owned a P238, an LCP, and now a Bodyguard. I liked the way the LCP shot but hated the sights. The 238 felt great in the hand due to the 1911 grip style and ran pretty good for me with only minor hickups. My issue with it was it was such a nice gun that I hated to carry it around with the way my carry guns typically are used (tossed in the console, into a bag, back in the pocket, etc). The first Bodyguards were problematic to say the least. Mine was made about 4 week prior to me purchasing it and was a couple prefixes past the EAA and EAB prefixes. The new one's don't have the slide pin problem, trigger problems, and have a round ring that guards the laser button thus reducing wear.

Mine shoots great. I would highly recommend one, especially with the recent price drop. I bought mine a couple months ago for $469 and thought I stole it...looks like prices have come down even more. It's a good value now for sure as it's about the same price as an LCP before the $200 laser.

heard good and bad. The bad, they had major issues with early releases of the gun, mainly in triggers not resetting. Another issue was the laser not easily turning on, having to push hard on button?? Also some hangups and misfires?? Maybe they rushed production and thats why the earyl releases were having troubles?? Rumor is that is why they dropped price $200!!! Prices are all over the board on this one...i have seen as low as $330 and as high as $550!!! like mentioned before, depends on when dealer got them?? I still would like to test one of these out. Good luck

If you do decide to test one, find a later model. These are identified because of the raised ridge around the laser buttons / good luck! :)

Guest DELETED

The Bodyguard .380 is a fine little pistol. I don't know of any issues with them other than the laser having to be manually turned on. It seems like if you have time to turn on a a laser then you would have time to actually use the sights. It kind of defeats the purpose of the laser. I looked hard at the Bodyguard and ended up buying an LCP with a CT laser. It seemed to better suit my needs.