anyone here likes to eat squirrel?

Guest cr25ovet

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cr25ovet

ok... i do have a tree rat problem at my house.. they r eating my deck and other things. i like to get rid of them but dont just want to shot them. if anyone is interested in those tree rats let me know. all u got to do is promise to eat them... ohh and do NOT shoot my house.

Never had it but was thinking about trying it next year, what does it taste similar to?

Why, as noted earlier, chicken of course. :DEverything is supposed to taste like chicken. :D

I like fried squirrel. The key is a YOUNG squirrel. Old ones do get tough, and will need a little extra TLC before frying.

I like em. Older fox squirrels cannot be made tender enough to eat, however. I once cooked several gray squirrels and one old fox squirrel in a pressure cooker. The gray squirrels' meat had fallen off the bone, while I still couldn't poke a fork into the old fox squirrel.

Guest dthurston

I love mixing chopped squirrel and rabbit to make a hash... Great on toast.

But then again it is hard to beat fried rabbit and squirrel smothered with pan gravy...

Dave

I grew up in WV and we had both Grey Squirrels and Red (fox) Squirrells and interbred grey/red, and have never had one too tough to eat. I guess certain conditions could lead to that. We however cook them seperate, grey and red, and just boil until tender (however long that takes) then fry. I mean its no delicacy but I enjoy hunting them and thus I eat them.

I used to soak them overnight in saltwater before I breaded them and fried them in lard. Man they are good.

I suppose to that it matters also what the squirrels eat. I remember in years past before the bore weevils killed all the pine trees that I got ahold of some that I suppose ate nothing but pine nuts. They weren't very good.

Up on Prentice Cooper WMA there are plenty of hardwood nuts and they are very good. Suprisingly few folks up there shooting small game too. Not like deer season when you only go there if you have a death wish.

• 2 weeks later...
Love squirrel, my grandpa used to fry the brains and put them in our eggs and in the squirrel and dumplings.

I love squirrel, but never did eat the brains. I used to hunt them a lot with a .22 and would take head shots if I could get it. I would give what I didn't want to my uncle and he would complain about the heads being messed up.

Why, as noted earlier, chicken of course. :DEverything is supposed to taste like chicken. ;)

That reminds me of that scene in the Matrix movie where they talk about how the machines didn't know how to recreate the taste of chicken, which is why chicken tastes like chicken. Anyone else remember that? Anyone? ....... Nevermind... :wall: