380 for ccw

bayouvol

Looked at a cz 83?? in 380 today. I was wondering if it would be a good gun as an EDC for CCW? I already have a small 380 for light summer work but wanted something for winter as well. I thought at 170 it wasn't a bad deal. What do you people think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it is, what does it offer you over your current weapon? It is heavier, but does it give you more rounds? Why not a 9 or 40 in a similar size? These are all questions I would ask myself. Now, I know nothing about the CZ83 but 170 for a gun is pretty darn cheap. What is the quality on these things?

Normally in winter it is a good idea to go up in the bang department, and carry something larger and/or more powerful. My reasoning is this: not only are you wearing more clothing and thus can conceal a larger firearm more easily, but chances are if you were to have to use said weapon in a SD situation, the perp will most likely be wearing more substantial clothing as well. A 380 needs all the help it can get anyway. Not trying to start a caliber effectiveness thread or anything, it is just something I think about is all.

I had a .380 I carried for a while in the summers. I switched to a Glock 26. I carry a Sig 220 in the winter. I was in a situation where I may have had to pull my weapon (first time in 10 years of carrying) and I was worried and kicking myself for not have a larger caliper gun on me. After that I sold it. I felt that situation opened my eyes to how I really felt about the .380. I'm not saying it's a bad round. If that is the only gun that you know you will carry all the time go for it.

My understanding is that the gun is basically a Makarov style weapon which has proven to be a proven platform for many decades. Verify the caliber and for $170 it sounds like a great deal. I know many people that carry a Makarov/clone and they are all happy customers...

Guest Topgun121

I want a small gun and am trying to decide between the Ruger LCP and the Sig P238. I am leaning LCP because it it lighter and a little smaller, with the same capacity. I would rather have a 9 or .45, but we all know comfort is king when EDC. If it is not comfy, you won't carry it, or justify to yourself why you are not carrying it that day for whatever reason. A .380 on your person is better than a .45 in your safe.

Looked at a cz 83?? in 380 today. I was wondering if it would be a good gun as an EDC for CCW? I already have a small 380 for light summer work but wanted something for winter as well. I thought at 170 it wasn't a bad deal. What do you people think?

CZ makes excellent guns. This 380 is built off the tried and true makarov design, which IMHO is one of the best designs of all time. Its simple, accurate, reliable, rugged, and about the only drawback is that its big compared to a modern 380. You can get a cz -82 makarov instead, actually, for about the same price, and thats a slightly larger caliber in the exact same gun, if that is of any interest to you. The ammo is cheaper than 380 but harder to find, you will want to order it online. I prefer the mak to the 380 apart from the aggravation of hunting down ammo, and my mak is my favorite range gun (I no longer carry it, I can get a .40 caliber in the same sized gun now).

I want a small gun and am trying to decide between the Ruger LCP and the Sig P238. I am leaning LCP because it it lighter and a little smaller, with the same capacity. I would rather have a 9 or .45, but we all know comfort is king when EDC. If it is not comfy, you won't carry it, or justify to yourself why you are not carrying it that day for whatever reason. A .380 on your person is better than a .45 in your safe.

the sig is an amazing shooter though. The LCP trigger is harsh (relative..!) and the sig's 1911 breech design makes it lighter on recoil. A light trigger and low recoil, I can empty the gun into a 5 inch group at 25 feet. The long/stouter trigger pull and rougher recoil of the LCP pull me way off target and I cannot shoot that gun rapidly & accurately at defensive distances. Thats just me though, I do not handle that style of gun well under stress and your experience with them may be totally different.

Guest Topgun121
the sig is an amazing shooter though. The LCP trigger is harsh (relative..!) and the sig's 1911 breech design makes it lighter on recoil. A light trigger and low recoil, I can empty the gun into a 5 inch group at 25 feet. The long/stouter trigger pull and rougher recoil of the LCP pull me way off target and I cannot shoot that gun rapidly & accurately at defensive distances. Thats just me though, I do not handle that style of gun well under stress and your experience with them may be totally different.

I went to a shop and handled both yesterday. I much preferred the look, feel and handling of the p238. I am a big 1911 fan, and that is my normal carry gun, so the 238 felt great to me. The $200 extra dollars over the LCP is tough to take, but I may bit the bullet and get the 238 as I liked it so much better.

Due to financial setbacks I am carrying a hi point 9c. I know people don't like them but it has gone bang everytime. It is actually more accurate than some of my higher dollar guns I used to own. The problem is that it is so heavy and bulky. It is hard to hide under any garment cause it prints. I don't mind the weight so much as the way it shows.