Gotta love the Franklin PD

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Guest Guy N. Cognito

About 11:00 last night, as I was dozing off to sleep, I was awakened by what sounded like my doorbell, followed immediately by the frantic barking of my dog. I don't usually get visitors that late, so I grabbed my g34 from the hand safe, moved to the top of the stairs and watched the front door for about a minute. After it became clear that no one was there, I gave my dog the quiet command and moved down the stairs. Given my dogs demeanor, I was fairly confident no one was in the house, but I checked it anyway. Finding nothing, I went back upstairs. Before I went to bed, I looked out of my window, and saw a cop car coming down the hill, using his search light to scan the dry retention pond in front of my house. As I watched, three more cars showed up. Some officers searched on foot, while the first stayed in his car. Clearly, they were looking for something.

Given the number of police, I assumed they were looking for someone pretty bad. I grabbed my shotgun, woke up my wife, them went to the back windows to scan the backyard. Again seeing nothing, I went back to the front windows and watched the police do their search. They searched the dry retention pond and the adjacent woods for about 10 minutes. One by one they started to leave. Assuming there probably wasnt much danger, I headed outside to find out what was going on.

Was it a burglar, or a rapist, or an escaped convict? Nope. Kids. Ringing door bells and running away. 4 cops for a few kids. No property damage; no b&e. Quite the response for a little prank.

Trying to decide how I feel about this one. While it's great that they responded quickly and in force, it seems to be quite the overreaction for a little prank. It makes me pretty good, however, that they will respond in force if there was ever a real issue.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would appreciate the response. Just because so many showed up doesn't mean that they were taken off of busting burglars for kid-pranks. It could have been a slow night, or someone called in saying someone was busting through their door. You never know, but in such cases I'd prefer an over-reaction than it be a more severe problem and get an under-reaction.

Since kids have been shot ringing doorbells I think it could quickly turn into something more than a “prankâ€. They may not have been kids; they may have been burglars checking to see if someone was home, or even home invaders. You have to take those calls seriously.

Since kids have been shot ringing doorbells I think it could quickly turn into something more than a prank. They may not have been kids; they may have been burglars checking to see if someone was home, or even home invaders. You have to take those calls seriously.

Dave nails it again. Glad it wasn't anything more serious though. God bless mans best friend and alarm. :up:

Guest 1817ak47

I remember hearing of some shootings starting with a simple door knock or doorbel and a front door gets opened and someone(s) has been shot and or killed(s)

Since kids have been shot ringing doorbells I think it could quickly turn into something more than a “prank”. They may not have been kids; they may have been burglars checking to see if someone was home, or even home invaders. You have to take those calls seriously.

Yep, even in Franklin. I would be glad to see them.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Yep, even in Franklin. I would be glad to see them.

I am definitely glad to see them. FPD tends to overreact, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I talked to my neighbor who called the cops. All they did was ring her bell, mere seconds before mine. She called it into the non-emergency number. Based on my estimates, the response time was about 3 minutes.

Guest gw2and4

I prefer too much of a response than the alternative. I find it refreshing after moving here from Miami, FL where you had to wait about 45 minutes for a single car to respond to a no-injury collision. And way over 3 minutes on the average 911 call.. Fact is, the only time I know I don't like having cops around is when I'm breaking the speed limit 'cause I'm late getting somewhere. :)