Raining 9mm 1911s

graycrait

I was down to Tn Gun Country in Clarksville yesterday and saw 9mm 1911s made by: RIA, Kimber and Taurus. This was the first Taurus 9mm I have seen. The RIA and Taurus were 5" the Kimber 4.5 I think. I've already had 3 9mm 1911s and can't fathom why I need another, but I have the itch. I would really like to shoot that Taurus. I hate "paying to play" every time I get a notion.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it reliable?

Tough as nails, and mine has no trouble feeding JHP ammunition, at least so far. No FTE/FTF problems, and as accurate as any gun I own, actually amazingly accurate. Just imagine how a steel 1911 handles recoil from a 9mm.

RIA's are made in the Philippines from US military specs. They are not tightly fitted, highly hand polished, high dollar handguns. But they work, and work well. I've shot mine in IDPA a few times.

Mine is the Tactical model, upgraded sights and a lighter trigger than the GI model and worth the extra 50 bucks IMHO.

Like any mechanical device, I'm sure you can break it if you try hard enough, but take care of it and it will take care of you. They're a bargain, a lot of fun.

I've had an Armscor (read RIA) .38 Super I converted to 9mm a couple of years ago. I have also had an RIA 9mm and a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. They all shot 9mm well. I just had to make the comment after I saw the Taurus 9mm 1911 arrive at Tn Gun Country. I've been seeing rumors about a Taurus 9mm 1911 for a few years and was surprised to actually see one.

a 1911 in 9mm? the only good side of 9mm handguns are the larger cap due to the smaller round, 1911 in 9mm is BLASPHEMY! John Browning is rolling over in his grave. LOL

Para Ordanance has some REALLY nice ones also. strickj had one for sale on the forums a few weeks ago. Just a thought.

Make mine a .45 please.

a 1911 in 9mm? the only good side of 9mm handguns are the larger cap due to the smaller round, 1911 in 9mm is BLASPHEMY! John Browning is rolling over in his grave. LOL

Actually Browning was a fan of many calibers, and according to many historical accounts his preferred carry gun was a 1903 Pocket hammerless in .32ACP.

My latest JMB crowning achievement: "Less Beer - Presentation Grade" 1911 purchased through judicious negotiation with the owner of TN Gun Country, Clarksville, TN: Essex frame polished to a haphazard brilliance, scratched up '50's Brazilian Army slide, WWII era "P" slightly pitted government barrel: small parts from who knows where. Maker unknown but likely as good as JMB intended, more is simply "gilding the lilly." Craig in Clarksville, TN

LessBeerPresentationGrade.jpg

My latest JMB crowning achievement: "Less Beer - Presentation Grade" 1911 purchased through judicious negotiation with the owner of TN Gun Country, Clarksville, TN: Essex frame polished to a haphazard brilliance, scratched up '50's Brazilian Army slide, WWII era "P" slightly pitted government barrel: small parts from who knows where. Maker unknown but likely as good as JMB intended, more is simply "gilding the lilly." Craig in Clarksville, TN

LessBeerPresentationGrade.jpg

Love your description and assesment.