Ruger 10 22 magazines

Keyless

I was told years ago , that when buying an aftermarket magazine to look at the small pin that points at the rear of the magazine , and get the ones with a metal pin.

Now it seems that I am not seeing the ones with a metal pin anymore . Does anyone know who is still making them ? Are they still being made? Any other brands that last as well as the ones with the metal pin ? Anyone try the drum type magazines ? Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best aftermarket high capacity mags for a 10/22 are the Tactical Innovations mags. They can be had in all polymer, polymer with steel feed lips and an all aluminum version. They are adjustable so you can tweak them for your individual gun. Black Dog makes a decent mag from what I hear but I have not tried them.

As far as other magazines most are hit and miss. It has more to do with the gun than the mags because I have seen guns that work great with all kinds of mags while others will only work with factory mags.

The polymer Tactical Innovations are just as cheap as other mags so I would buy them before trying any others.

Dolomite

Here is the funny thing about the 10/22. Wanna know why it is so popular today?

The reason is that the factory 10 round magazine was a revolution in the industry. Nothing else allows so many rounds in such a package that does not make the gun bigger, more difficult to load, or less reliable. It was a boon for Ruger and that carried the gun to where it is today.

It is easy to forget that the magazine is a part of the gun. There may be some aftermarket ones that work, but the factory 10 rounder is a good as you will ever find....no exceptions.

The three different TI mags are truly acknowledged to be the best hicaps, although the PolyCarb don't have steel lips, and many wonder if they will hold up very long, as the Butler Creek Hot Lips often don't.

I have 5 Butler Creek Steel Lips, and they've been pretty reliable; I wash them out and spray with silicone spray lube now and then.

Of course, the factory mags are the best, but it's the bomb to be able to run more than 10 at a time.

- OS

The magazines with Steel feed lips are the ones you want. Tactical Inovations, and Butler Creek (with the steel lips) are the more popular ones. Both are 25 Rnd

The Tri mag pictured above is always a good option, but is somewhat expensive.

If you want a Drum go with the Black Dog Machine drum. It is better than the Promag. It may still require a little adjustment though. (lips may need to be ground a miniscule amount)

Guest 73challenger

I wish someone made a aftermarket magazine that was straight and held 20ish rounds. They would look great on m1 carbine replicas. The high caps look funny because they are sooo long.

Have you seen the 50 rnd Teardrop?
Yes I have seen them. Has anyone used them ? I like the more traditional look of the stick or drum magazine , but to go and shoot it woud work fine if it functions properly .

Everything I've read tells me not to drop $80+ on one.

- OS

Yea, the Factory mags are the expensive part.

Well, one assumes that you'd have 3 or more of them if you like to shoot a lot of rounds, unless you've gone Butler Creek or TI or something.

Cabela's always has them 4 for $50, so that's not bad, if there's something else from them you want anyway to defray the shipping some.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot