1911s

jc102888

Im thinking about saving up for a really nice 1911. I've got a kimber, looking for something like a nighthawk, ed brown, ect. So what would be some of yalls recommendations as I am new too high end 1911s ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife just got a stainless colt gold trophy, about $1000, and its pretty darn nice. Its lightweight and very accurate with a very good trigger, all right out of the box. At shortish ranges (20-30 feet) it is capable of sending a full clip through the same hole. I do not have a long range where I can really test it at this time. We both really like this gun, the only complaint I have so far is that putting it back together after cleanting, there is a spring in the grip that makes putting the slide-lock pin back in a little difficult. Not having a ton of 1911 experience, I do not know if that is a common design, it looks to be the backside of the spring for the safety.

If your buying a semi-custom 1911, just find the features you want and go with that. They are all going to be excellent no matter what you buy. Most common are Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Wilson Combat. However there are others out there. I like the tacticool stuff from wilson and nighthawk, but if I had the scratch right now I would be a Ed Brown Special Forces Carry, I like the bobtail commander and it comes in stainless. But thats just me

I currently own a Nighthawk Custom T3 and a Wilson CQB. I have a Springfield Professional coming next year. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the previously mentioned manufacturers. Since I have yet to receive my Springfield and can't really comment on it, my preference would be towards Wilson. Don't get me wrong, my Nighthawk is awesome, but my CQB is just down right mean. My CQB is the best 45, 1911 or otherwise, I have ever shot. The finish on the CQB is superb. I have put close to a 1000 rounds through it and it still looks new.

Just my $0.02, and that is all it is worth, but I don't think the Supergrades, Mastergrades, etc... are really worth the extra expense. Carrying a $2-2.5k 1911 is one thing, but carrying a $4-5k 1911 is something totally different. There is no way I would want to use a Wilson Supergrade as my EDC. They are just too expensive.

Are you thinking $2000-$3000 or more like $1000-$2000? Cause some here have mention production guns, and if that's what you're looking for I'd buy either a Springfield TRP or a Dan Wesson Valor. Otherwise I'd stick with the big names, of course you could always get a custom gun from Hero Gear they have had great reviews!

You can't go wrong with Nighthawks or Ed Browns. I suggest stopping by The Reloaders Bench in Mt Juliet because they are close to you. I know they stock both Ed and Nighthawks. You can get a feel for them. I personally lean to Nighthawks. Something about them...I

Im looking at probably 2-3k. Wouldn't want too go much higher, just wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it if i put more than that in it. Right now Im carrying a Kimber raptor 2 which I love. Just ready for the upgrade. I think I might run around town looking at a few tomorrow. Anywhere other than reloaders and outpost to find what i'm looking for? Thanks guys

Im looking at probably 2-3k. Wouldn't want too go much higher, just wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it if i put more than that in it. Right now Im carrying a Kimber raptor 2 which I love. Just ready for the upgrade. I think I might run around town looking at a few tomorrow. Anywhere other than reloaders and outpost to find what i'm looking for? Thanks guys

I bought my Wilson from Bud's Gun Shop (they are out of stock on Wilsons the last time I looked) and I got my Nighthawk from Hero Gear.

My current stock of 1911s are...

1. Kimber basic 1911 (blued)

2. Kimber Pro CDPII 4.5in (my primary carry weapon)

3. Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 (1975)

4. Nighthawk Custom Talon

5. LesBaer Thunder Ranch

6. and I'm buying and Ed Brown Executive Target stainless from a forum member

I've never owned is a Dan Wesson or a Wilson Combat but I've no doubt that they are fine weapons.

I would agree with some of the sentiments above...I think when you get into any of the big custom shops you are going to get a truly great weapon. But, I also think you'll "like" them differently for different reasons. All in all, I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of them!

Guest Keinengel

It's not exactly one of the "Name Brands" but the Hero 1911's built by the guys down at Hero Gear are built to the buyers specifications from the ground up. The ones I've seen are some amazing firearms.

JMO and nothing else

Comes down to the Indian rather than the bow.

A good clean trigger and sights that you like

Good Ammo

Any decent 1911 will out shoot 99.99% of all shooters.

Check out how they look & feel

DON'T go by what others will tell you is the BEST... MOST ACCURATE ... MOST RELIABLE

I take what others say now with a grain of salt.

what kind of shooting 25 yard 50 yard ??

Carry or just for range

I shoot at 25 meters 99% of my range time and there is not much of a difference in my

groups when using a Baer ... Brown .. Wilson or Nighthawk

Now 50 yards you will notice a difference

Customer Service

Wilson and Nighthawk are very good

I have talked to Les Baer a few times and he is decent to deal with.

Ed Browns son Jason has always been nice to deal with.

There are now many good out of the box production 1911 that are accurate and reliable.

plus even if you change out a few parts on a production pistol it's still much less than a semi custom.

Nighthawk and Wilsons prices have gone way up and look around in buying them for the

best price.

George is a good friend and he has excellent prices on 1911's

The list prices are not what you pay

Gunslingers - Your Source for Quality Firearms

Good luck and make sure you know what you want before you order one or buy it as is.

I write down what I want before I order one

Naked Slide

Solid Trigger

and so on.... in the past I rushed and was sorry later I did not get it the way I wanted.

I got a few 1911's from Guns & Leather they are great to deal with and have a nice selection of 1911's

on hand.

Edited by Kano
I currently own a Nighthawk Custom T3 and a Wilson CQB. I have a Springfield Professional coming next year. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the previously mentioned manufacturers. Since I have yet to receive my Springfield and can't really comment on it, my preference would be towards Wilson. Don't get me wrong, my Nighthawk is awesome, but my CQB is just down right mean. My CQB is the best 45, 1911 or otherwise, I have ever shot. The finish on the CQB is superb. I have put close to a 1000 rounds through it and it still looks new.

Just my $0.02, and that is all it is worth, but I don't think the Supergrades, Mastergrades, etc... are really worth the extra expense. Carrying a $2-2.5k 1911 is one thing, but carrying a $4-5k 1911 is something totally different. There is no way I would want to use a Wilson Supergrade as my EDC. They are just too expensive.

The CQB and SA PRO are both nice pistols, but I'd prefer to carry a TRP or Colt Commander

Guest Chad Kandros

Check out D and T arms in Goodlettsville, on rivergate parkway, they carry a few handbuilt customs that you might like that speak for themselfs......go put your hands on one. Great peopole to deal with, will keep you comming back! Ask the owner David about his, he will tell you about the guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Im wanting to check out a les baer.anyone know of any dealers around nashville that might have one in stock? I've looked at a couple wilsons and nighthawks and I really like them. But I want too see everything. Anyone give any feedback from the dan wesson line? I know there cheaper than say nighthawk and what have you.

Guest FroggyOne2
My current stock of 1911s are...

3. Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 (1975)

You know that that pistol is a "wadgun"... only supposed to be shooting lead in that one..

Seriously mav? I might try to make it over there today. I haven't been there looking at 1911s yet. Last time I was in there I avoided the 1911 section (I find it to be a good idea for crack addicts to avoid crack)