Dayton TN Gun Show?

Guest RevScottie

Guest RevScottie

Anybody else attend this show? I was very dissapointed. One dealer was evidenty the promoter of the show and had over half the space taken up with his own booth.Typical high prices but saw two things I had never heard of before.

1. No buying, selling, or trading firearms outside the show due to insurance regulations?

2. If a private collector with a table took an item on trade he had to put it under his table and could not sell or trade it?

The number 2 deal kept me from buying one item and trading another. Rumor I heard was the dealer promoting the show would turn anyone who violated rule #2 in to the ATF for dealing without an FFL.

In my opinion do not advertise your show as buy/sell/trade if you are going to have this sort of restriction. B)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else attend this show? I was very dissapointed. One dealer was evidenty the promoter of the show and had over half the space taken up with his own booth.Typical high prices but saw two things I had never heard of before.

1. No buying, selling, or trading firearms outside the show due to insurance regulations?

2. If a private collector with a table took an item on trade he had to put it under his table and could not sell or trade it?

The number 2 deal kept me from buying one item and trading another. Rumor I heard was the dealer promoting the show would turn anyone who violated rule #2 in to the ATF for dealing without an FFL.

In my opinion do not advertise your show as buy/sell/trade if you are going to have this sort of restriction.

For #1, I see the signs posted at every one of his shows. Don't know the legal stature other than maybe someone being injured by a mistakenly loaded weapon during a trade. Personally I think its the fear every promoter has.And that is for someone to use their show to sell something and never enter the building,thus not paying the attendance fee.

As far as #2, I've heard this from several private sellers that have bought tables in the past. Even had one friend they attempted to bait by trying to trade a high dollar gun in on one he had laying there that was worth half as much. Turns out later they were going around making sure any "trade in" to a private seller was put away because it's considered a business if you attempt to resell it immediately. Don't ask me the logic in that, Lmao.

As far as #2, I've heard this from several private sellers that have bought tables in the past. Even had one friend they attempted to bait by trying to trade a high dollar gun in on one he had laying there that was worth half as much. Turns out later they were going around making sure any "trade in" to a private seller was put away because it's considered a business if you attempt to resell it immediately. Don't ask me the logic in that, Lmao.

I just dont see the ATF storming in a Gun Show, hand cuffing someone and haulin them off to jail for reselling a gun immediately. I think its idle BS scare tactics.

Plus if that were true why wouldnt you just trade and make double the money and sell it elswhere. if you offer me 2800 Ed Brown for my Springfield TRP but the condition is I cant sell it untill tomorrow, I think Im still gonna take the deal

Edited by Lumber_Jack
I just dont see the ATF storming in a Gun Show, hand cuffing someone and haulin them off to jail for reselling a gun immediately. I think its idle BS scare tactics.

Plus if that were true why wouldnt you just trade and make double the money and sell it elswhere. if you offer me 2800 Ed Brown for my Springfield TRP but the condition is I cant sell it untill tomorrow, I think Im still gonna take the deal

Well a year ago i would have agreed with you. But after confirming 3 people I know that have received an ATF enema it's not all b.s.. And I have a feeling it will only get worse.

3 dealers or 3 indiduals with tables at a show?

They were all "private collectors" as the OP stated in his original thread. It's my understanding that a true "dealer" can buy/sell/trade when and where they please. But I've heard numerous times in the past where "private collectors/private sellers/those that have purchased tables to sell from but are not FFL's" are discouraged from taking in a trade or even an outright purchase and placing it back on the table for sale in the same day much less immediately.

The 3 I am talking about were what you would consider "private fill in the blank " but were not ffl's.

I went to the show on Sunday. I didn't expect a whole lot, so I wasn't dissappointed when I left 20 minutes after looking. The only shows in the nearby region that I think have been reasonably ok have been the shows at Camp Jordan.

Thats about the outcome of most of this promoters shows that I've been to. I can pretty much cover the floor in less than 30 minutes.But I usually find something worthy of deeming it a neccesary trip and attendance fee. Besides that he makes sure to get the coupons out there so you can have a buck off.