Question for the electricians

Guest go-vols

Guest go-vols

During the May rain my basement got about three feet of water. On the floor was 250' of romex (indoor). It was completely underwater for 2 days until I got all the water out. It has been sitting there ever since, but it has been dry.

My question is can this still be used?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take an ohm meter and see if any of the wires read together. ie shorted etc..it will read to zero if they are touching each other anywhere. Check there is no visible damage/deteration to it anywhere, no water pouring out when u cut a small piece off

If not I would go with it.. The wrap paper being wet/ moist, it will dry out with a little heat, even if it is still a little moist down in there...

So says a 20 year industrial/ electrician...who started out doing houses..

Peace.

0 and

A.S. degree , Electrical / Electronics Technology Roane State 1982

Senior, Computer Engineering Technology MTSU 1997

Flu shot paralyzed me, and I never graduated,

medically retired

Edited by soapy

Water won't hurt the insulation, but it will soak into the paper filler. It would most likely have to get in thru the ends unless there's a nick in the jacket. The proper way to test it is with an insulation tester (megger). An ohm meter doesn't have enough voltage.

It's most likely ok.

Guest bkelm18

I'd say it's good. As has been said, check the resistance between each wire. A hand held meter would be ok, but as Mike said above, a megger would be your best choice for checking insulation resistance, but it wouldn't be practical to buy one just for this. If it's been dry for 8 months I doubt it still holds any water and I don't think two days of submersion is enough to damage any of the plastic sheathing around each wire.

I'd say it's good. As has been said, check the resistance between each wire. A hand held meter would be ok, but as Mike said above, a megger would be your best choice for checking insulation resistance, but it wouldn't be practical to buy one just for this. If it's been dry for 8 months I doubt it still holds any water and I don't think two days of submersion is enough to damage any of the plastic sheathing around each wire.

I've made some high quality smoke by dumping high voltage into a circuit that was checked with an ohm meter.

This just hit me, and is a good test. Take the romex and strip a few inches the jacket back on one end. Tape each wire so they can't short. Put a cheap grounded plug on the other end (black>gold white>silver bare>ground). Plug it into a ground fault protected circuit, like in the bathroom. If it doesn't trip, the wire is good, and it's a valid high voltage test. You can do the same with a regular circuit, but it will probably damage the outlet if there's a short.

I've made some high quality smoke by dumping high voltage into a circuit that was checked with an ohm meter.

This just hit me, and is a good test. Take the romex and strip a few inches the jacket back on one end. Tape each wire so they can't short. Put a cheap grounded plug on the other end (black>gold white>silver bare>ground). Plug it into a ground fault protected circuit, like in the bathroom. If it doesn't trip, the wire is good, and it's a valid high voltage test. You can do the same with a regular circuit, but it will probably damage the outlet if there's a short.

u da man... great idea.

I don't think I ever used/seen a megger in the field. Or maybe I'm starting to go senile, runs in the family... :)

I remember discussin using one once, after a pull with a dozer, but we didn't have one or the time, and lit it up..

u da man... great idea.

I don't think I ever used/seen a megger in the field. Or maybe I'm starting to go senile, runs in the family... :)

I remember discussin using one once, after a pull with a dozer, but we didn't have one or the time, and lit it up..

I have one in the truck. Goes up to 1000 volts. Then I have a highpot that goes to 37,500 volts for checking the real high power stuff.

Hey bro,

I sent you a PM, OR used to be my stomping ground, looking for an old friend.. thanks

I have one in the truck. Goes up to 1000 volts. Then I have a highpot that goes to 37,500 volts for checking the real high power stuff.

Wow, cool My whole goal in life was to get out of installation, I had to make it on my own, and was a wreck from working myself out of a job.. I finally slid my way into industrial maintenance. 480V top speed, and when I flamed out, I was a maintence leader in the nissan paint plant, PLC's and paint robots. I got credit for working there close to 10 years. Before that some in music city, whirlpool, purina mills, ... couple years at Batesfull Casket company in manchester..

Not trying to hijack this thread, but this is a good active forum..So excuse the newbie

What do you do friend?

Wow, cool My whole goal in life was to get out of installation, I had to make it on my own, and was a wreck from working myself out of a job.. I finally slid my way into industrial maintenance. 480V top speed, and when I flamed out, I was a maintence leader in the nissan paint plant, PLC's and paint robots. I got credit for working there close to 10 years. Before that some in music city, whirlpool, purina mills, ... couple years at Batesfull Casket company in manchester..

Not trying to hijack this thread, but this is a good active forum..So excuse the newbie

What do you do friend?

Broadcast engineering mostly these days. I do some design consulting too. I'm an analog guy, and get dragged into some cool projects for military and OEM/police/fire stuff. Oh yeah... I'm a serious gun nut.

it isnt legal to use it according to NEC. if you are installing the rough-in wiring in a new construction house and the roof isnt dried in yet and it rains and the water is coming in some inspectors will make you tear out the wiring and use new dry wire.

If it were UF-rated wire it would have been ok but if it does indeed have the paper inside it isnt legal to use and I personally wouldnt use it as the paper mostlikely had degraded